Test for engineers, metallurgists

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

Hot water would have the most minerals in it, the action of the heat on the metal pipes must remove more of the minerals.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#12 pedro

pedro

• Traders-Talk User
  • 767 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

Hot water would have the most minerals in it, the action of the heat on the metal pipes must remove more of the minerals.

I noticed much longer blade life after moving out west, first from upstate NY and later from DC. Ie, from humid climates to dry ones.

I often shave with an electric first, then a blade.

My biggest gripe with blades are that they've gone from twin blades to what is it, five now? Less room between the blades so no way to easily clear what collects between them ... which holds in the moisture too.

I still have a half dozen boxes of twin blades. I go 2-3 months on each blade. I've tried many of the newer cartridges with 3 or 4 blades and hate them.

I hope scientists are working on identifying the gene responsible for facial hair ... etc .... would like to switch some off and others back on. LOL.

#13 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Don't forget the corrosive nature of perspiration itself. :sweatingbullets:
A google search revealed bike riders rusting their bikes and runners destroying their ipods with sweat!

Take a look at this. Listener Bryan has an iPod Nano that is less than a year old and has developed some serious pitting and corrosion along the bottom near the dock connector and headphone jack. The iPod has never had direct contact with water, but Bryan is a runner. He uses the iPod while exercising and has it in a Belkin Sport Sleeve while he's running. The best guess is that the damage has been caused by sweat.

Imagine the microscopic damage done to a razor's edge by body chemistry alone.
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 28 October 2007 - 02:11 PM.

#14 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:02 AM

Speaking of Razors...some time back I posted that you could use a disposable razor for months if you will just rinse it off and blow dry it 5 seconds after using EACH TIME.
Clark Howard says he just got 1 year from his last disposable razor blade before it began to pull.
I got 6 months on one and I began using my latest Gillette Fusion 5 blade January 1st and it still shaves like it did the first day.
The hard part is remembering to rinse and dry the blade for 5 seconds with a blow dryer.

But it really does work.
"Dry it. You'll like it."

"The pH of typical shaving cream is in 5 range, which makes it more acidic than acid rain."
http://www.copperwik...e=Shaving_cream

Edited by Rogerdodger, 26 April 2011 - 12:07 AM.

#15 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

This tip came from a metals scientist. At least that's what he claimed to be.
This sounds so crazy that I dismissed it's validity at first, until heard others support the claim.
And it does seem to work!
Try it and let me know what your results are.

After I thought about the microscopically thin edge on a razor blade, it does sound reasonable that the least amount of corrosion would have a tremendous effect on the "razor thin" edge.

Who knows? Maybe we can "SAVE SHAVE THE PLANET!"

My older brother had this gadget to sharpen disposable razor blades. I think the name was Allegro or something. It was all manual, the blade was inserted in the hand held machine, and stroked back and forth a dozen times, and the blade edge was as good as new. Each stroke rubbed the blase edge against a sharpening stone, and the machine flipped the blade each stroke. He could use those blades for like ever. It was made in Switzerland.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#16 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:44 AM

I just blow sharply on the blades after use. Not as good as drying, but displaces nearly all of the water.
40,000 headmen couldn't make me change my mind....

#17 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

I DID IT! Rogerdodger is now a member of the "One Year Razor Club" using just one disposible razor from Jan 11, 2011 to Jan 11, 2012.
Sadly my $800 bar tab from my cruise last week kinda cuts into my savings. :lol:

This tip came from a metals scientist. At least that's what he claimed to be.
This sounds so crazy that I dismissed it's validity at first, until heard others support the claim.
And it does seem to work!
Try it and let me know what your results are.

From ClarkHoward.com:

Aug 31, 2007 -- Drying your razor blades extends shelf life.
Back in February 2006 a gentleman called the show and spoke about using the same razor for a year. He revealed that blades don't degrade from shaving, but rather they corrode from the moisture that collects on them once you're done shaving. The fellow explained his ritual of using a blow dryer to dry his razor. His call prompted others to speak up and share their tricks and tips for maximizing a razor's life. Clark got inspired by the whole discussion (and the expense of shaving blades!) and decided to take a single 17-cent razor and make it last for one year. He didn't dry his razor with a hair dryer, but instead took the lazy man's approach of just blotting it dry on a towel. It lasted for a whole year and he was very pleased to not have to throw money away on blades anymore.

After I thought about the microscopically thin edge on a razor blade, it does sound reasonable that the least amount of corrosion would have a tremendous effect on the "razor thin" edge.

Who knows? Maybe we can "SAVE SHAVE THE PLANET!"

#18 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

"SAVE SHAVE THE PLANET!" Today I am celebrating one year of shaving with my TRUMP blade, and it's still shaving. I am on my 5th razor blade since 2011!!! Immediately after shaving, rise the blade and dry it. (I use 5 seconds of a blow dryer.) My last blade lasted almost 2 years!

trump.jpg