Walmart medical clinic

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

I will never go to a regular doctor for a minor, routine illness again. Sick and wanting an appointment immediately, I went to one of those medical clinics in Wal-Mart. I got in almost immediately, everyone on the staff was extremely friendly, and it only cost $59. Wow. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed.

http://freemanhunt.b...nic-review.html
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

I read about this elsewhere. I'm pretty sure this is a very, very good thing. Most of the stuff that folks go to a doc for is trivial stuff. That type of thing really drove health care costs for my dad's company. Folks think that insurance is somehow a free benefit and that they are obligated to use it as much as possible. Meanwhile, the missus and I self insure the first $2k, as we have for years, and we actually barter with my doc when we do want to check on things. We do our research and we are careful with our bodies, but we consume very little health care. I would say that most folks should have similar coverage and use WMT for everything trivial. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

good luck! When doctors formed medical clinics or "groups" the price of medicine rose, as more tests were run, more equipment used, more pressure on doctors from practice managers (read: business managers). There is no incentive to "reassure" (the old "take two aspirin and call me in the morning" approach). Wal Mart may have figured a way around that, but there is incentive to sell drugs and related medical "stuff". Unless this is purely a marketing scheme to draw folks into the store, offer "discounted" medical care in the hopes that someone picks up a blender and a new TV on the way out the door... Wal Mart isn't just doing this to "be nice" I smell a rat and the further deterioration of the profession. Who are these "doctors" who are working for Wal Mart? mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Sure beats an emergency room visit!
Open weekends, holidays and after hours!
We have two near Tulsa, one in Owasso and one in Broken Arrow.
Posted Image
About RediClinic

RediClinic is high-quality, affordable healthcare that fits how we live today. No appointments, no waiting – and routine treatment and preventive care in about 15 minutes. RediClinic's staff provide convenient and affordable treatment for more than 25 common conditions, such as strep throat and ear infections. They also provide health screening tests, vaccinations, immunizations, and physicals.

RediClinics are staffed by nurse practitioners who provide high-quality primary care and can order appropriate medications. They are registered nurses with advanced degrees and clinical training, often in partnership with doctors from an outstanding local healthcare system.

RediClinics are conveniently located in the stores where you already shop, near the pharmacy of select H-E-B and Wal-Mart locations. They are open extended hours every day of the week, including most holidays.

Home LINK
Partners LINK

Who are these "doctors" who are working for Wal Mart?

They don't work for Walmart.

Bailey Medical Center of Owasso, OK
Bailey Medical Center is associated with RediClinic in Owasso, Oklahoma. It is an acute-care hospital that provides general medicine, general surgery, obstetrics, gynecology, orthopedics, physical rehabilitation, occupational medicine, emergency/urgent care, and internal medicine.

Hillcrest Medical Center of Broken Arrow, OK
Hillcrest Medical Center (HMC) is associated with RediClinic in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. It offers comprehensive cardiovascular care through the James D. Harvey Center for Cardiovascular Research and the Congestive Heart Failure CARE Center. The hospital also provides services through the Center for Diabetes Management, the Alexander Burn Center, the Helmerich Cancer Center, the Hillcrest Bariatric Institute, and the Hillcrest Sleep Center.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 06 January 2008 - 09:57 PM.

#5 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:06 AM

MM, You "might" get ripped off at one of the WMT clinics, but it GUARANTEED that you will get buggered at an ER if you go there for a trivial problem. I think what's happening is that there's a market for services that don't subsidize the uninsured and the irresponsible, and WMT is going to exploit it. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#6 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

THe ER system is badly broken for myriad reasons. People you do not know and have no history on or with show up and demand medical care. The ER doctor for medical and LEGAL reasons is forced to run unnecessary, expensive and redundant tests in order to be "thorough" and cover his/her's @ss. In addition, given the 40 million uninsured, its the place to go to get help, in the hopes you won't get hassled for your bill, since medicine has always promised to provide care in the ER whether you are prepared to pay for it or not. When you talk about "health care" in a clinic what do YOU think is acceptable? Treating a cold? A cut? More? And I know no politics are allowed, but have you heard ANY candidate DEFINE what they mean by "health care"? Who is entititled to what? Does a guy who gets a concussion and 10 broken legs from a silly snowmobile accident get "Universal Health Care" the same as some nerd like me who will never get on a snowmobile and never break a leg? ..... mm

#7 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

Living in Peru for a while. Doctor's visit $15. Meds 80% cheaper and don't require a prescription. Just tell the pharmacist your symptoms.
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#8 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

Retired Invsestment banker patient. Powerful, egotistical. SHowed up in my office 1 week into a massive heart attack. Was reading on-line about his symptoms, self diagnosed it as "GERD" and was taking Prilosec OTC from Wal Mart. Much damage to his heart by the time he showed up. A patient from Trinidad thought he had "colitis" and was taking a prescription from his pharmacist. Turned out the pharmacist was giving him 5 Fluoro Uracil, a treatment for colon cancer. Finally flew up to USA where we diagnosed biliary cirrhosis. Liver was shot. We had to look around for a liver transplant. A patient this weekend was self-medicating with zinc, echinacea and OTC cold remediesfor his "stuffed chest" and shortness of breath. . By the time he got to the emergency room and was found to have atrial fibrillation with congestive heart failure he was 5 days into his symptoms. As I said before, good luck. mm

#9 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

A woman showed up here last week. Self medicating a rash around her vulva/perineum with her pharmacist. Had tried Monistat (thought it might be a yeast infection) then was given hydrocortisone cream, then "lubricating" lotions, and more. Finally came here. Biopsy shows Lichen Sclerosis et Atrophicus, one sample suspicious for squamous cell carcinoma. Her pharmacist has NO liability. He only took her word for her symptoms. (I can guarantee you he never looked at her you-know-what). A nurse practitioner at the nearby Navy Base in the walk in clinic sent a patient with "chest discomfort" to the emergency room. Never really took the patient's history or listened to the patient's story.No labs, no EKG, no examination. Same in the ER. Patient emergently sent for cardiac catheterization by the in-house cardiologists who "assumed" that the clinic doctor and ER doctors had taken proper histories. Patient kept trying to say but... but.. but... All tests were negative! Patient had indigestion. Too fat, ate too much. Very young, no other risk factors for heart disease. Non smoker, no blood pressure, etc. Total cost of that "care"? huge. Any liablity in this case? Where do you want to get advice? mm

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

My sister-in-law went to her doctor complaining of lower abdominal pain. Her mother died of ovarian cancer at 43 years old. My sister-in-law was 43 at the time of the visit. The busy, this-interested doctor perscribed birth control pills or something. It was ovarian cancer and the doctor's lack of diligence prevented her from getting proper treatment for many months. He doesn't work for Wal-Mart. They wouldn't have him. Good luck.