• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

BBC:
Global temperatures 'to decrease'

By Roger Harrabin
BBC News environment analyst
4 April 2008

"Global temperatures will drop slightly this year as a result of the cooling effect of the La Nina current in the Pacific, UN meteorologists have said.
The World Meteorological Organization's secretary-general, Michel Jarraud, told the BBC it was likely that La Nina would continue into the summer.
This would mean global temperatures have not risen since 1998, prompting some to question climate change theory."

However GW believers dismiss this cooling as part of what they call 'variability'.
More governmental funds (taxes) are needed.

MORE...

Posted Image

Coldest temperatures in memory in China. (February 2008)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 04 April 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#2 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:58 PM

Michael Crichton on Environmentalism as a Religion

-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

No doubt many are true believers.
However many use all of this to enrich themselves...one way or the other.

Follow the money!

World Bank accused of climate change "hijack"
Fri Apr 4, 2008
By Ed Cropley

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Developing countries and environmental groups accused the World Bank on Friday of trying to seize control of the billions of dollars of aid that will be used to tackle climate change in the next four decades.

"The World Bank's foray into climate change has gone down like a lead balloon," Friends of the Earth campaigner Tom Picken said at the end of a major climate change conference in the Thai capital.

"Many countries and civil society have expressed outrage at the World Bank's attempted hijacking of real efforts to fund climate change efforts," he said.

Before they agree to any sort of restrictions on emissions of the greenhouse gases fuelling global warming, poor countries want firm commitments of billions of dollars in aid from their rich counterparts.

MORE...

Edited by Rogerdodger, 04 April 2008 - 10:56 PM.

#4 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:28 AM

British environmental analyst Christopher Monckton says Al Gore's latest attack on global warming skeptics shows the former vice president and other climate alarmists are "panicking."

On Sunday, CBS News correspondent Leslie Stahl asked Al Gore on the television show 60 Minutes what he thinks of people like Vice President Dick Cheney who doubt that global warming is caused by human activity.

"I think that those people are in such a tiny, tiny minority now with their point of view, they're almost like the ones who still believe that the moon landing was staged in a movie lot in Arizona, and those who believe the earth is flat," replied Gore. "That demeans them a little bit, but it's not that far off."

However, Lord Christopher Monckton, a policy advisor for former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher during the 1980s, says the former vice president can enjoy his "flat earth fantasies" for a few months, but in the end, the world will be laughing at him.

"The alarmists are alarmed, the panic mongers are panicking, the scare mongers are scared; the Gores are gored. Why? Because global warming stopped ten years ago; it hasn't got warmer since 1998," he points out. "And in fact in the last seven years, there has been a downturn in global temperatures equivalent on average to about [or] very close to one degree Fahrenheit per decade. We're actually in a period ... of global cooling."

Monckton contends Gore is now "panicking" because he has staked his reputation as a former American VP on "telling the world that we're all doomed unless we shut down 90 percent of the Western economies." He also contends that Gore is the largest "global-warming profiteer."

Gore's group The Alliance for Climate Protection is currently launching a new $300 million ad campaign that demands reforms in environmental law to help reduce the supposed "climate crisis." But Monckton points out that in the U.K., Gore is not allowed to speak in public about his "green investment company" because to do so would violate racketeering laws by "peddling a false prospectus." He says that fact came about after a British high court found Gore's movie, An Inconvenient Truth, riddled with errors.

Monckton challenged Gore to an internationally televised debate on climate change last year.

http://www.onenewsno...t.aspx?id=74121
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

The UN.
The World Bank.
Politicians.
The Russian Mafia.
Terrorists.

They all wanted to "do good" with their Iraq food for oil plan.
Actually they did Very Good!

Corruption was rampant and widespread.
"As the programme ended, there were revelations of corruption involving the funds."
http://en.wikipedia....-Food_Programme

Now they want to "Do Good" with this global warming money.
They already are.
;)

Man this stinks!

#6 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,017 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

I'm not sure if Roger originally turned me onto this site or not, but this is a pretty compelling initial study.

http://www.well.com/.../20071019.shtml

If I was trading temperature based upon his model, I'd be looking pretty good. Contrast this with what the IPCC is using.

Also, check out ClimateAudit.org

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

I don't think it was me but I like the guy's approach:

"In fact, you could consider this a "pharmacodynamic" climate model, with the sun as drug, the sunspots as dose, and the temperature as a "drug" effect."

#8 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,017 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

I know. He has a fresh mind and he approaches the data with an eye toward actually PREDICTING something from it real time. I was impressed. Yanno, I'm not a total "denier" of long range CO2-related warming. I see it as entirely possible. I'm just not seeing real data that supports the claims if dire consequences. More importantly, I'm seeing data that strongly suggests to me that man made CO2 based warming is relatively trivial when viewed in context of solar activity and natural cyclical activity. I'm also seeing a lot of evidence of de facto fraud and manipulation in the data. As I said, none of this means that we shouldn't be conserving and making intelligent lifestyle changes to minimize fossil fuel use. It also doesn't mean that we shouldn't be planting lots and lots of shade trees in urban settings and in and around large expanses of asphalt and other heat sinks. But we don't need to be waving money around government force and parasitic organizations. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

I'm with you. Sadly there is no "PURE" science. Motives abound.

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

More 'variability':

LINK...

Storm dumps more than 2 feet of snow in northern Minnesota
By Associated Press

Last update: April 7, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Residents of the Iron Range and other parts of northern Minnesota are digging out from under at least 2 feet of fresh snow.

The grand prize for the most snowfall goes to Virginia, Minn., where 32 inches piled up between Friday night and this morning. More than a foot fell in the northern Minnesota community of about 9,000 people since Sunday evening, the National Weather Service said.

Not far behind, 29 inches fell in northern portions of Itasca County, 27 inches in Cass Lake, 26 in Babbit, and 25 in Chisholm.

Another storm system may bring more snow to the northern part of the state by the end of the week, the weather service said.