• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Guys, I'm honked off and disturbed about this, but we all have to agree to not post after the first martini (or other beverage(s) of choice). OK. Civil and nice. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#32 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Guys,
we all have to agree to not post after the first martini

Well that cuts me out. :angry:

#33 Warren

Warren

• Traders-Talk User
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

What effect do you think that this will have on use of things like S&P 500 Swaps. I notice that Pro shares uses these for their Funds Will this eliminate the Short Variance swap?
Don"t worry, BE HAPPY!

#34 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

ogm...you also need to do a little research on option market makers. Your last reply was ignorant.

U.F.O.

You seriously think that half of the market can dissapear just like that without any alternative strategies ? Put options will not trade, shorts will be banned, etc.. You know what kind of loss of business we're talking about ? No one will agree to that. They'll come up with something.

#35 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

I think we'd see hoarding of shorts to be salted away with hedges. Volume would go parabolic, maybe even truly vertical. ps unless they do this immediately/tonight. pss ahh, there we go. From tradethenews.com. It's now or never. Today 09:04pmSEC's Cox declines to comment on press reports that SEC will temporarily ban short selling; Says that any announcement will be made ahead of the open on Friday

Edited by spielchekr, 18 September 2008 - 08:18 PM.

#36 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

I expected the uptick rule to get reinstated but this is a bit nuts. Could someone post a link to the news? I can't find it.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

#37 U.F.O.

U.F.O.

U.F.O.

• TT Patron+
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

ogm...I'm gonna type this slowly so you don't miss my point. If OEXCHAOS is correct and a complete ban were to be initiated on ALL equity short selling, yes...half the market will disappear, just like that. All options will go bye-bye, put and call. All leveraged ETF's. You would no longer be able to short index futures. The whole banana. U.F.O.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
~Benjamin Franklin~

#38 klono

klono

• Traders-Talk User
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

I think we'd see hoarding of shorts to be salted away with hedges. Volume would go parabolic, maybe even truly vertical.

ps unless they do this immediately/tonight.

pss ahh, there we go. From tradethenews.com. It's now or never.

Today 09:04pmSEC's Cox declines to comment on press reports that SEC will temporarily ban short selling; Says that any announcement will be made ahead of the open on Friday

Can they make the short sale ban retro active to mid day today?

k ;)

#39 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

I think we'd see hoarding of shorts to be salted away with hedges. Volume would go parabolic, maybe even truly vertical.

ps unless they do this immediately/tonight.

pss ahh, there we go. From tradethenews.com. It's now or never.

Today 09:04pmSEC's Cox declines to comment on press reports that SEC will temporarily ban short selling; Says that any announcement will be made ahead of the open on Friday

Can they make the short sale ban retro active to mid day today?

k ;)

I think they already did, in way, for some. ;)

#40 steve

steve

• Traders-Talk User
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

Nothing surprises me. I honestly think Paulson told all his Goldman pals to buy all the Sept. SP 500 calls expiring tommorrow at 8:30 am cst. They have loaded up big time and will cash out on the open.