Short Selling Banned!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission intends to temporarily ban short-selling, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday night. It's unclear if the commission has approved the move, the Journal reported. SEC Chairman Christopher Cox, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson were briefing congressional leaders Thursday night. The U.S. move would follow a similar action by U.K. regulators on Thursday. Posted Image

Of course banning of short sales would be crazy, stupid, anti American, anti - capitalistic, destructive of our financial system and our ability, in the long run, to raise capital and build wealth, employment and all the rest. I Couldn't agree more! Dead on.

BUT..... I think we're getting a little carried away here speculating about what may be coming. I can find no more on the Internet than the above article in terms of specifics, and it actually says very little.

In fact, the above article says the "move would follow a similar action by U.K. Regulators on Thursday." That action by U.K. Regulators was limited to financial stocks ONLY.

While I agree that a ban on shorting financial stocks or any other sector would be stupid and just plain wrong for a whole litany of valid reasons-- I think when we assume that there is about to be a full out total ban of all short selling -- we may be getting just a teensy bit ahead of ourselves. ;) <_<

Okay- time for me to go pour my martini...... :D
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#42 zman

zman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

great now I have to go and find a %&%&% job! how the hell do we trade now? this is a nightmare
Education is the best defense against the media.

#43 zman

zman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission intends to temporarily ban short-selling, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday night. It's unclear if the commission has approved the move, the Journal reported. SEC Chairman Christopher Cox, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson were briefing congressional leaders Thursday night. The U.S. move would follow a similar action by U.K. regulators on Thursday. Posted Image

Of course banning of short sales would be crazy, stupid, anti American, anti - capitalistic, destructive of our financial system and our ability, in the long run, to raise capital and build wealth, employment and all the rest. I Couldn't agree more! Dead on.

BUT..... I think we're getting a little carried away here speculating about what may be coming. I can find no more on the Internet than the above article in terms of specifics, and it actually says very little.

In fact, the above article says the "move would follow a similar action by U.K. Regulators on Thursday." That action by U.K. Regulators was limited to financial stocks ONLY.

While I agree that a ban on shorting financial stocks or any other sector would be stupid and just plain wrong for a whole litany of valid reasons-- I think when we assume that there is about to be a full out total ban of all short selling -- we may be getting just a teensy bit ahead of ourselves. ;) <_<

Okay- time for me to go pour my martini...... :D

ok great so I can delay the job search for now :D and your second thohgt the martini..absolutely...cheers
Education is the best defense against the media.

#44 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,018 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

http://www.marketwatch.com/

More there.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#45 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

Okay- time for me to go pour my martini......

3pm in Hawaii?
Are you in a karaoke bar again? :lol:

"Tiny bubbles..."

#46 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

http://www.marketwatch.com/

More there.

What more? I don't see any specifics or amplification.....
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#47 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

Okay- time for me to go pour my martini......

3pm in Hawaii?
Are you in a karaoke bar again? :lol:

"Tiny bubbles..."

No, that was yesterday afternoon. I think I'm 86'd.... :wub:

#48 Warren

Warren

• Traders-Talk User
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Here's a link

http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj

This another one. It was put out by the WSJ

http://www.google.co...s...mp;aq=f&oq=

Edited by Warren, 18 September 2008 - 09:07 PM.

Don"t worry, BE HAPPY!

#49 B-Wave

B-Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

(First post for me here!) I've been a lurker for many months here and just thought I'd spread my 2-cents on this stupid thought of the SEC's. I'm not going to go into details about my firm or our strategies but typically right before the market corrects, our signals tell us to move a large portion of cash in portfolios to 2X or 2.5X Inverse S&P funds to completely hedge our risks. This strategy works better (and is easier) than completely liquidating our portfolios each time we get these 'hedge' signals. Now I can tell you all that IF the SEC bans short-selling (and if it were to include the swap contracts and futures that Profunds and Direxion uses) you can see a 1987-like event happen very soon. Why? I'll use a recent example: earlier this week our clients were indirectly (through mutual funds) holding hundreds of millions of dollars worth of stock and a couple million dollars worth of 'bear swaps' and short futures positions (through the inverse mutual funds) which were hedging our portfolios. Now if these short futures and swaps are suddenly off the table, my firm's only choice for going market neutral comes down to complete liquidation of our mutual funds, and thereby complete liquidation of millions of dollars in stock (held by mutual funds). I know tons of other firms, as well as billion dollar mutual funds, which trade similar to us and would face similar predicaments if this ridiculous idea is allowed and stretched into the forays of futures and swaps. Just my 2-cents.

#50 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

my firm's only choice for going market neutral comes down to complete liquidation of our mutual funds, and thereby complete liquidation of millions of dollars in stock

I hope somebody is listening.