McClellan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
128 replies to this topic

#121 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

The NYSI down trend continues but some signs of a possible bounce beginning to appear on the NYMO, and VIX and CCI.

http://stockcharts.c...98&are=6465.png

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#122 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

I was hoping to get a NYSI buy signal Friday because that was the one-anniversary of this thread. I thought it would be a good time to end this thread -- end with a buy signal on the exact anniversary of the start in a year in which the market has gone from scary bear to scary bull. Didn't get the Buy Friday so shucks...would have been a pleasant symmetry. However, unless we have a dramatic sell-off into the close today, it will be the BUY today. And of course it will come with most of the indexes overbought on the dailies but so what? The NYSI is only a context for buying the dips or selling the rallies.

Regardless, I'm going to quit this thread today. It has long since become too long and strung out. I think it's been a decent chronicle of the up and downs and twists and turns of this amazing year and I've enjoyed keeping it up. To my mind the NYSI and and NASI remain the clearest, easiest-to-read, indicators of overall market direction there are.

And for aggressive traders, it may take some study and trading experience to use it, but, the McClellan Oscillator itself, I believe, is truly one of the best tools one can have to day and swing trade.

Which bring us to today. The short leveraged ETF basket -- SDS, QID, TWM -- being tracked here with the NYSI signal is currently up barely one percent since the 10/20 sell signal and could go negative on a firm close. It has been up as much as 13 percent (I dumped half at 9 percent and moaned when it jumped back up 12 percent), but once again the short side did not hold much of its profit. What does that say?

Note the SPY chart above. Back when this was a bear market, if the NYMO got overbought it was generally a sell or a short. Now if it gets oversold it is gnerally a buy. That is the way it is and the the way it will be until it isn't anymore (such is the nature of markets). This is the sixth consecutive up day on SPY since the Oscillator put in a low above a low on Nov. 2. The Russel Rippers (the chart below) -- a basket of 3x leveraged long ETFs (TNA, BGU, FAS) which I like a lot -- are currently up 14.5 percent since that Nov. 2nd low above a low on the NYMO. As I said, for aggressive traders, the NYMO is one of the best tools there is...

I hope those who have viewed this thread through the year have enjoyed it and maybe even found it sometimes useful.

Good trading to everyone. :)

http://stockcharts.c...1656&r=3842.png

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#123 Scott-stock

Scott-stock

• Traders-Talk User
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:42 PM

Diogenes Please do not quit. This site and your writings have been enjoyable and educational. Thank you.

#124 mfrazier

mfrazier

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

"Please do not quit. This site and your writings have been enjoyable and educational". I'll come out of lurking to say I'll second that. Your posts are a living classroom. Thank you. MF

#125 edamat

edamat

• Traders-Talk User
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

I second that.

#126 apprentice

apprentice

• Traders-Talk User
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

I third that!

RPPVW/SHP

"It is not your duty to complete the work,
but neither may you desist from it."

--Talmud

#127 apprentice

apprentice

• Traders-Talk User
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

Oh won't you stay yeh yeh yeh yeh just a little bit longer :wub:

RPPVW/SHP

"It is not your duty to complete the work,
but neither may you desist from it."

--Talmud

#128 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Please do not quit. This site and your writings have been enjoyable and educational.

I'll come out of lurking to say I'll second that. Your posts are a living classroom. Thank you.
MF

I second that.

Thanks for the posts, guys. My plan was to quit posting on this thread because it's gotten so long and feels cumbersome (does anyone actually read through its entirety anymore? or reference its past? even some newcomer?). When I said I was quitting this thread I did not intend that to mean I was quitting posting completely (this is too much fun), and besides posting is a great check on anyone's personal trading (it makes you think, and forces a focus on exactly what it going on with the markets).

I thought I might start a new thread that tries to be more concise with less history and more timeliness. Or maybe its a new year and it's time to start again? Haven't quite figured out how to do that yet but will probably jump in soon and just see how it goes.

In the meantime, good trading to you and everyone else. :)

#129 iloli way

iloli way

iloli = I'm Laws Of Line's I(eye)

• TT Member*
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

posting is a great check on anyone's personal trading (it makes you think, and forces a focus on exactly what it going on with the markets).

Hi 227!

Couldn't agree with you more.

I hardly lurking around this board. Saw you name then remember you have come visited some of my threads before. I did not know you have been hosting a 13-page-long thread. Very impressive! I'll try to find opportunities to read them now.

Best to you!
goflow, 'Ground Currents' now
PRICE IS KING; LINE RULES! - Laws Of Line (LOL) Trading Systems
Swing Those Lines: I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people! -- Issac Newton