• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

Did you know...
The world's first installed parking meter was in Oklahoma City on July 16, 1935? LINK
The first US highway cable barrier was installed in Oklahoma City in 2001, and it's saving lives.

Oklahoma's cable barriers reduce highway crash fatalities, says ODOT
Death and injury have been dramatically reduced by the installation of highway cable barriers.
In 4 years Oklahoma has seen a 92 percent reduction in crossover highway fatalities!

The cable barrier installed in 2001 on Lake Hefner Parkway in Oklahoma City was the first used in the United States, Mitchell said. Cable barrier systems were being used in Europe, and ODOT engineers were looking for solutions to reduce crossover fatalities, she said.

Cable barriers cost one-tenth of what concrete barriers cost to install and are fairly easy to repair, Mitchell said.
ODOT has made 260 repairs to cable barriers in Tulsa County since 2008.

"I don't know how many lives it has saved, but I do know it saves lives. I know people who hit the cable barrier are able to go home to their families," he said. "I strongly believe they are preventing those fatalities from crossover accidents."
http://www.tulsaworl...A1_ULNSrf980720

Edited by Rogerdodger, 08 February 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#2 Trendy

Trendy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for info...... I always wondered what cost analysis was between concrete walls and the fence.

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Three cheers for the government. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Three cheers for the government.

Local government seems to work best with the most accountability, less teamster corruption and the least waste. :cheer:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 08 February 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#5 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Three cheers for the government.

Local government seems to work best with the most accountability, less teamster corruption and the least waste. :cheer:

Pretty much agree for once. :)

Accountability, not taxes, in my mind has always been the issue. Sometimes I think more than half the people in this country think the government does absolutely nothing right when, in my opinion, the vast majority of the what it does it does quite well and is taken for granted (for example, Navy Seal Team Six, clean drinking water, traffic lights, sewer lines, DNA crime labs, flood insurance, etc, etc., etc. a million...no, a billion times over).

However, I'm not sure about your "less teamster corruption" comment but I passed your name on them anyway in case they want to get back to you on that. ;)

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."