HURST CYCLE SOFTWARE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pali

pali

• Traders-Talk User
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:11 AM

In the April issue of TASC magazine, there is an article D Hickson promoting the Hurst Cycle analysis and his software SENTIENT TRADER, which by the way is signalling a nest of cycle lows ,the nominal 20 and 40 week during the march april period. Has anyone used this software and has any opinion and reviews to share ?

#2 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:22 AM

Hi Pali, John (Silentone) has extensive experience with the software. You don't need the software to know that a 40wk low was due in Feb/March and came in mid March. We just had the 5wk low and the 10 wk low is due May 17th. 20wk low due end of July-first wk Aug or so. Doc

#3 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:26 AM

BTW, the 10wk low off the last 80wk low last year was a doozy. Remember the July 1 lows were nearly completely retraced by the Hurst 10wk low into the end of August. That sharp drop could ECHO through and cause this 10wk low to be quite sharp to. First clue will be a violated of the 5wk low we just had. For bullish progress, that 5wk low has to hold solid. Doc

#4 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

In the April issue of TASC magazine, there is an article D Hickson promoting the Hurst Cycle analysis and his software SENTIENT TRADER, which by the way is signalling a nest of cycle lows ,the nominal 20 and 40 week during the march april period.
Has anyone used this software and has any opinion and reviews to share ?

hi pali,

The Hurst cycle method is my primary method and I have been using Sentient Trader exclusively for my Hurst work now for about 18 months. I was involved with the Beta testing period and saw the software evolve into what it is today. David Hickson has done an amazing job getting this software to produce a "Hurst" cycle view of the markets. I remember years back when the Hurst guru Bob Chonski (airedale) did not believe that the Hurst method could be automated into a trading software platform. And he was right because at the time there wasn't anything available that was intuitive enough to replace the manual work that goes with the original Hurst teachings.

I post publicly from time to time here, but most of my posting has ended up on private forums and at iHub.

http://investorshub....age_id=62309703

Sentient is not a panacea for cycle work. You have to understand cycles, the Hurst method and what you are looking when studying Sentient's output. If you decide to take Sentient Trader for a test run, make sure you have some Hurst cycle study under your belt as well as a general understanding of cycles. The best thing you can do if you are serious about tackling the Hurst method is to buy and study the "J.M. Hurst Cycle Course".

I have studied EW, Gann, Cycles and follow astrology via pros like Merriman. Over the last 10 years I have settled on Hurst cycles as the primary method, then Gann followed by astrology to provide the backdrop. This is of course accompanied by general technical analysis. It took me about 5-6 years to get to this point with the Hurst method. But a great practitioner was airedale, who inspired many with his Hurst work.

GL.

cheers,

john

P.S. Last 80 week loy buy signal posted here per Sentient Trader. If you study the postings at the tme and the level of bearishness on the board, you get the idea of how major lows are made. And that's why Hurst cycles work for me.

http://www.traders-t...?...=122983&hl=

Edited by SilentOne, 23 April 2011 - 11:30 AM.

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#5 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

Hello John. As I reread my post from early this morning, I realize that it might have come across the wrong way about Sentient Trader. I never meant to say anything negative about the program if it came across that way, ie that it wasn't needed at all. Far from it. From your posts, it appears to be an extremely useful tool and I wish I had the time to get to learn it. I might in the future. Anyway, I have posted above a few target dates for upcoming 10 and 20wk lows. I'd appreciate if you'd chime in on the phasing as you see it for these lows. Thanks and be good. Doc

#6 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

hi Echo,

From your posts, it appears to be an extremely useful tool and I wish I had the time to get to learn it. I might in the future.

I am looking forward to seeing you get involved with Sentient.

You don't need the software to know that a 40wk low was due in Feb/March and came in mid March.
We just had the 5wk low and the 10 wk low is due May 17th.
20wk low due end of July-first wk Aug or so.

I assume that the $SPX is heading into a top, or that it is in a topping process since the Feb 18th. high. So from here, it will be much more difficult to project cycle lows if the cycles turn bearish. There is no sign of it just yet, but if $SPX 1350 -1360 proves to be resistance, or this market struggles in the coming weeks, it implies a weak move off the 40 week low of March. The other thing to watch is for the cycle periods to lengthen (versus the last 18 month cycle). I suggested earlier this year that this was already happening and Sentient is detecting this and hedging its bets for the current 5 and 10 cycle lows. I expect a lot of volatility coming out of the FED meting this week.

cheers,

john

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SilentOne, 25 April 2011 - 08:22 AM.

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#7 Bangtime

Bangtime

• Traders-Talk User
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

In the April issue of TASC magazine, there is an article D Hickson promoting the Hurst Cycle analysis and his software SENTIENT TRADER, which by the way is signalling a nest of cycle lows ,the nominal 20 and 40 week during the march april period.

hi pali,

The Hurst cycle method is my primary method and I have been using Sentient Trader exclusively for my Hurst work now for about 18 months. I was involved with the Beta testing period and saw the software evolve into what it is today. David Hickson has done an amazing job getting this software to produce a "Hurst" cycle view of the markets. I remember years back when the Hurst guru Bob Chonski (airedale) did not believe that the Hurst method could be automated into a trading software platform. And he was right because at the time there wasn't anything available that was intuitive enough to replace the manual work that goes with the original Hurst teachings.

I post publicly from time to time here, but most of my posting has ended up on private forums and at iHub.

Sentient is not a panacea for cycle work. You have to understand cycles, the Hurst method and what you are looking when studying Sentient's output. If you decide to take Sentient Trader for a test run, make sure you have some Hurst cycle study under your belt as well as a general understanding of cycles. The best thing you can do if you are serious about tackling the Hurst method is to buy and study the "J.M. Hurst Cycle Course".

I have studied EW, Gann, Cycles and follow astrology via pros like Merriman. Over the last 10 years I have settled on Hurst cycles as the primary method, then Gann followed by astrology to provide the backdrop. This is of course accompanied by general technical analysis. It took me about 5-6 years to get to this point with the Hurst method. But a great practitioner was airedale, who inspired many with his Hurst work.

GL.

cheers,

john

P.S. Last 80 week loy buy signal posted here per Sentient Trader. If you study the postings at the tme and the level of bearishness on the board, you get the idea of how major lows are made. And that's why Hurst cycles work for me.

Sorry if you consider it a redundant question but would you then say the software is pretty much "right on" to the Hurst principles or must you "massage" the results somewhat? tia

#8 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

hi pali,

GL.

cheers,

john

Sorry if you consider it a redundant question but would you then say the software is pretty much "right on" to the Hurst principles or must you "massage" the results somewhat? tia

Bangtime,

Sentient Trader relies on a spectral analysis (fourier analysis) to identify the dominant cycles in the data you give it to analyse. So a number of things can happen depending on the data set, the time frame, and most importantly the start point chosen. For my primary $SPX analysis as an example, I am using a data set from 1990 to present in order to capture at least one if not two 18 year cycle lows.

This is why I talk about learning and understanding Hurst cycles is key to using the software successfully. You need to understand what you want to get from Sentient Trader and also how to best set it up for analysis.

I suggest you peruse some of the online resources at Sentient Trader.

http://www.sentienttrader.com/

I hope that helps.

cheers,

john

Edited by SilentOne, 25 April 2011 - 05:12 PM.

#9 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

Thanks John.

#10 Bangtime

Bangtime

• Traders-Talk User
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:44 AM

hi pali,

GL.

cheers,

john

Bangtime,

Sentient Trader relies on a spectral analysis (fourier analysis) to identify the dominant cycles in the data you give it to analyse. So a number of things can happen depending on the data set, the time frame, and most importantly the start point chosen. For my primary $SPX analysis as an example, I am using a data set from 1990 to present in order to capture at least one if not two 18 year cycle lows.

This is why I talk about learning and understanding Hurst cycles is key to using the software successfully. You need to understand what you want to get from Sentient Trader and also how to best set it up for analysis.

I suggest you peruse some of the online resources at Sentient Trader.

http://www.sentienttrader.com/

I hope that helps.

cheers,

john

Ok. Thank you for the reply. Time to dust off the course. :)