OF HUMAN BONDAGE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Rally faltered, and bears rushed out to call the tops and crashes. Selloff faltered, and bulls rushed out to call strong rallies. How many times have we seen the re-run of this movie? It's human nature, and we just can't help it. This is why I've always had the respect for those that stick their necks out to make the calls that are backed up by supporting data ahead of time. I adore anyone, who has the courage to call the reversals while, let's say, futures are selling off or rallying hard. But, no, most of the time, it became quiet here, deadly quiet. And, then it gets boisterous again as the scenes described in paragraph above replay. I'm sure I'm not the only one feels this way. It's O.K. to be wrong because we've learned more from being wrong than pretending to be right all the time.

Edited by TechMan, 29 March 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#2 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

This is why I've always had the respect for those that stick their necks out to make the calls that are backed up by supporting data ahead of time. I adore anyone, who has the courage to call the reversals while, let's say, futures are selling off or rallying hard.

I don't pay attention to folks who call turns ahead of time, as they are wrong most of the time. But i do have respect for those folks who have the conviction to call the turn when it happens, rather than come and cheer-lead after the move is over.

I rarely see even the bullish folks on message boards come and call turns after a pullback, as the price is turning from the bottom of the pullback. But you do see a lot of noise as we make new recovery highs. That has no trading value IMO. My 10 year old can tell me what the trend is. What he doesn't know is where to enter and where to exit. That's where the rubber meets the road.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#3 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

I've been meaning to ask you this, NAV. Is that the picture of your son? Really cute.

Well said. However, right or wrong doesn't really matter to me that much. I'm more interested in why. Unfortunately, few, if any, have provided clearly defined reasons for their calls. And, even if they did, they're looking at the wrong things on their charts or in their data most of the time. That's why I don't read more than 2 threads a day on average.

===============

Elise Testone!!!

Posted Image

#4 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

I've been meaning to ask you this, NAV. Is that the picture of your son? Really cute.

Well said. However, right or wrong doesn't really matter to me that much. I'm more interested in why. Unfortunately, few, if any, have provided clearly defined reasons for their calls. And, even if they did, they're looking at the wrong things on their charts or in their data most of the time. That's why I don't read more than 2 threads a day on average.

Nah. That's ain't my son. My son was as cute and as innocent as that, 8 years back. ;)

Making wrong calls and losing trades are all part of this business. No shame in that. Anyone who claims otherwise are frauds. What matters at the end of the day is whether you made more than you lost.

#5 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

And, even if they did, they're looking at the wrong things on their charts or in their data most of the time. That's why I don't read more than 2 threads a day on average.

I really have to ask.

How can someone who makes a call or provides an opinion on the market be looking at the wrong things.

It may not be the things YOU look at but if they made the call from what THEY look at, how can it be the wrong things?

If they made a good call or bad call it just means they analyzed the data they looked at correctly or incorrectly and came to a good or bad conclusion.

I make good and bad calls all the time, but the data, charts, etc I look at is what I base my calls on.

I am not rich nor am I broke. But they are my calls based on my "things".

mss

Edited by mss, 30 March 2012 - 07:32 AM.

WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

""OF HUMAN BONDAGE"

I thought you were referring to APPLE:
SLAVE TO THE APPLE!
Why Don't They Go After APPLE's Profits?

Edited by Rogerdodger, 30 March 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#7 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

How can someone who makes a call or provides an opinion on the market be looking at the wrong things.

It may not be the things YOU look at but if they made the call from what THEY look at, how can it be the wrong things?

Your work's fine. But, yes, we can, and we do. When we look at the "wrong" things, we make the "wrong" calls. It happens to me too.

#8 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

""OF HUMAN BONDAGE"

I thought you were referring to APPLE:
SLAVE TO THE APPLE!
Why Don't They Go After APPLE's Profits?

The more I'm reading the Foxconn story, the stranger it gets. Do you know there have been numerous employees jumped to their deaths at the Shenzhen plant?

Later... Good trading ya'll.

#9 andiron

andiron

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Nav, you referred to your 10 yr old 2 years ago, if i remember. He must be at least 12 by now..

#10 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Nav, you referred to your 10 yr old 2 years ago, if i remember. He must be at least 12 by now..

andiron,

Good memory. He is close to 11. :D