On the Edge: the sad story of art cashin, with link

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:58 AM

the next phase of this bull market is about to start any day now. as a "study in sentiment" i have been closely observing developments in the bear camp.

i have been a big fan of art cashin for years, so it is especially sad to see him being driven to the edge of madness by this powerful bull market. bearish since the way-down-there bottom, he has been giving code words for plunge or crash most of the way up. the latest is "critical mass sell-off"; the link is below:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30887156

these alarmist and extremest hints and comments are not the art cashin i have watched for decades. art actually quoted from the floor some of my comments at the old avid chat, where he lurked as did the whole CNBC crew, so that adds an additional level of sadness.

humble1 to art: "you are smarter than this! snap out of it!"

#2 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

but you HAVE been reading them? B)

#3 shanabe

shanabe

• Traders-Talk User
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:19 AM

consider the alternative scenario: maybe Cashin is right. What then? Noone is wrong - or correct - ALL of the time. Right now, most major markets look "toppy" with deteriorating internals. I'm not buying a return to 666 but I wouldn't rule it out either. I'm pretty much flat right now with major index ETF's. However I am very long TBT, UDN and GDX. GDX makes me most nervous, along w/ TBT which is one of those leveraged inverse ETF's that requires a lot of care and feeding. Good luck!
In Ponzi We Trust

#4 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

the next phase of this bull market is about to start any day now. as a "study in sentiment" i have been closely observing developments in the bear camp.

i have been a big fan of art cashin for years, so it is especially sad to see him being driven to the edge of madness by this powerful bull market. bearish since the way-down-there bottom, he has been giving code words for plunge or crash most of the way up. the latest is "critical mass sell-off"; the link is below:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30887156

these alarmist and extremest hints and comments are not the art cashin i have watched for decades. art actually quoted from the floor some of my comments at the old avid chat, where he lurked as did the whole CNBC crew, so that adds an additional level of sadness.

humble1 to art: "you are smarter than this! snap out of it!"

Art cashin, a nice bloke Im sure, but quite frankly doesnt make the mark JMHO.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#5 Bullryder

Bullryder

• Traders-Talk User
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

but you HAVE been reading them?

B)

Such a good point.

Good luck with your book, but you are going to be wrong with your date. The low will be in 2009. :D

#6 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

yes, but cashin said that in the context of his continued extreme bearishness and the implication was clearly that equities would suffer the same fate as the dollar/bond crash he implied. well, we will see if he is right going forward. you have the link there, right in the record. if you want to assume it is just dollar/bonds, then let's see what happens. there is nothing "trolling" about discussing the alarmist views of a widely watched commentator of the #1, by far, financial news show. i notice there is no complaint when talk of 25 year depression, neighbor killing neighbor for food, and riots in the street. that is consider reasonable and not trolling for bulls, LOL/ROTF. yet citing a main stream commentator and his repeated, delusional predictions is out-of-line: i don't think so!!!!!

#7 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

all:

btw, i am totally sincere that i believe we could well be in the midst of what has been the case throughout history of madness driven by markets. here's a book on popular delusions and the madness of crowds, with market examples. i believe we are seeing that now on the bearish side. there is NO RATIONAL REASON to be a crash, doomsday bear in today's enironment. we will know "in the fullness of time."

here's the book:

http://en.wikipedia....dness_of_Crowds

#8 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

all:

btw, i am totally sincere that i believe we could well be in the midst of what has been the case throughout history of madness driven by markets. here's a book on popular delusions and the madness of crowds, with market examples. i believe we are seeing that now on the bearish side. there is NO RATIONAL REASON to be a crash, doomsday bear in today's enironment. we will know "in the fullness of time."

here's the book:

http://en.wikipedia....dness_of_Crowds

I agree. We could have a technically driven market rally, as a result of the dollar collapse. But it can also collapse as a result of a "loss of faith in the currency". This sort of thing is playing a lot on my mind at the moment.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.