• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Al Gore thrives as 'green' investor...
Just before leaving public office in 2001, Gore reported assets of less than $2 million; today, his wealth is estimated at $100 million.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 11 October 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#12 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Al Gore sells Current TV to Al Jazeera & pockets 100 million dollars

The oil money comes from the government of Qatar

Al Jazeera on Wednesday announced a deal to take over Current TV, the low-rated cable channel that was founded by Al Gore, a former vice president, and his business partners seven years ago. Al Jazeera plans to shut Current and start an English-language channel, which will be available in more than 40 million homes, with newscasts emanating from both New York and Doha, Qatar.

A decade ago, Al Jazeera’s flagship Arabic-language channel was reviled by American politicians for showing videotapes from Al Qaeda members and sympathizers.

http://mediadecoder....current-tv/?hpw
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#13 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Al Gore sells Current TV to Al Jazeera & pockets 100 million dollars

The oil money comes from the government of Qatar

The Current TV staff responds:

“We all know now that Al Gore is nothing but a bulls***ter,” said the staffer bluntly.

We do stories on the tax code, and he sells the network before the tax code kicked in?

“Al was always lecturing us about green. He kept his word about green all right—as in cold, hard cash!”

The public responds:

Does all the female staff have to wear burqas now?
Will gay staff members be stoned to death on TV?
:lol: :lol:

http://www.nypost.co...v6I9Gbyqe6Z4pFP

Edited by stocks, 08 January 2013 - 04:11 PM.

-- -
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#14 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

Keith Olbermann: Al Gore Is a “Clod”

When you’re working for somebody whom you admired politically, who turns out to be a clod, the scales fall from your eyes. Sorry. Al underdelivered. I mean that’s just simply the case. I don’t want to dwell on it, but it’s true.

http://www.aim.org/d...gore-is-a-clod/
-- -

#15 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

When you’re working for somebody whom you admired politically, who turns out to be a clod, the scales fall from your eyes. Sorry. Al underdelivered. I mean that’s just simply the case. I don’t want to dwell on it, but it’s true.

Look at all the sons/daughters/wives that follow a relative into political office.

The problem is with the people - they would elect a monarchy if they could.

And if/when Hilary becomes president it will be another example.

I expect Obama's two children to run and get elected to political office.

Edited by Dex, 17 August 2013 - 08:14 AM.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#16 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Look at all the sons/daughters/wives that follow a relative into political office.

The problem is with the people - they would elect a monarchy if they could.

And if/when Hilary becomes president it will be another example.

I expect Obama's two children to run and get elected to political office.

Elect a monarchy? Boy, you have forgotten what the USA is all about. We toss monarchies into Boston Harbor.

Hilary is too old to be President. Same was true with Romney, and is true with Jeb Bush. Speaking of age, Rick Perry has senior moments on national television. Imagine him with the red phone ringing at 3 a.m.? Probably couldn't remember where he put it. The entire baby boom needs to step aside (hear that, Mitch? Time to be put out to pasture in your ol' Kentucky home). The baby boom has been a very destructive generation, as Strauss and Howe noted in "The Fourth Turning" and hopefully, finally, their work is done (although their obstruction in Washington and vote suppression everywhere else would indicate they are determined to do damage to their dying day).

But a monarchy. Come on.

Mostly, we have the same old I want to be just like dad and marry a girl just like mom syndrome, with a big dash of one-percent legacy connections. You know, how did Dubya ever get into Yale? How did he ever get through Yale? Could Yale itself be a fraud? What's the easiest way to get into an elite Ivy-league college? Note that you're writing your entry essay in the college's library which is named after your grandfather or great-grandfather. After that it doesn't matter what you write, except your signature, because you're already in. But I digress. I do see your worry about the urge to monarchy. How did dubya ever become President? Obvious, being just like dad. Together, those two sure marched the country farther down the road to the dead end of empire. If, by chance, we get another Bush in the bush, the family will have likely sealed it - we will have given up being the USA any longer (see comment above about Boston Harbor).

But I hold out hope that we the people (that is to say, everyone who's not an old white guy) will flush these boomers in a year or so and get on with the future.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#17 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

But I hold out hope that we the people (that is to say, everyone who's not an old white guy) will flush these boomers in a year or so and get on with the future.

On the surface I find your statement obnoxious and just short of bigotry.
Would you prefer a young "white" guy or another "dumb ignorant" individual as long as he/her was not "white"?
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#18 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Elect a monarchy? Boy, you have forgotten what the USA is all about. We toss monarchies into Boston Harbor.

Most Americans today think the Revolution is ancient history and don't know about it. The Revolution and Constitution are what old white guys talk about.

Hilary is too old to be President.

She's going to run and has a good chance of winning - it all depends where the economy is - doing well, she wins - not well, maybe not.

On reason Romney didn't do well is that he was so white he hurt your eyes. To many white men are guilty until proven innocent - especially rich ones.

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty.

Plato
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#19 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Imagine him with the red phone ringing at 3 a.m.? Probably couldn't remember where he put it.

Or how about the Fast and Furious golfer who refused to answer the phone as our ambassador as well as Navy Seals were murdered while nearby support troops were ordered to stand down by who knows who... Valerie Jarrett?
Who the hell is she to be giving orders?
Or answering the phone?
Pleezzz.

#20 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

On the surface I find your statement obnoxious and just short of bigotry.
Would you prefer a young "white" guy or another "dumb ignorant" individual as long as he/her was not "white"?

Yes, I generally would prefer young white men and women over old white guys. There is an entire generation of younger politicians, one of whom is already in the White House and many others waiting in the wings, both Republican and Democrat, who are or will eventually be the future without having to listen to the media (or the poster above) prattle on about Hillary. As for bigotry, I have no grief whatsoever with black, brown, yellow, straight, gay or any combination of the above being involved in civic affairs; in fact, wish they would get more involved. Heard the other day that voting is required in Australia and you're fined if you don't vote. What an idea! Here on one side it's voluntary and on the other side it's a bunch of mostly old white guys trying to keep anyone who doesn't agree with them from being able to vote (see North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, the gerrymander in Texas, etc...). I live in a state where we've tried to make it as easy as possible for everyone to vote so every registered voter can vote by mail, just mark the ballot and send it back or drop it off in a designated ballot box. Institute that in every state and if the old white guys survive it'll be because they deserve to and not because they gamed our democracy.

And I am never for dumb and ignorant no matter what. And in my opinion that's mostly what running and running down the country these days. We have an entire segment of the population that actually seems to be proud of being dumb and ignorant. They claim it's just having common sense. Well, pardon me, but common sense has never, never, been born out of a union between dumb and ignorant.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."