• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Posted Image
Off The Bottom
6/14/2011 8:14:20 AM
Off The Bottom

Futures signal a move higher.

All eyes were focused on China overnight. While the expectations were that if China’s inflation came out too hot, that they’d move to slow - and that would hit the stock market. The report came in hot, but the futures are rallying. Goes to show you that you have to be cautious of expectations because they establish a bias.

The barometer readings need one day to oficially move back into Buy Mode. So if you were stopped out, consider this for reentry.

We’ll take a look at the efficiency of the volatility index at the end of this report. It seems to be a point of discussion.

Let’s look at the global markets.

Posted Image

On the economic front, here is the schedule for this week.

Posted Image

On to the charts:

Posted Image

Stock Barometer Analysis

We remain in Buy Mode, looking for the stock market to bottom here off extreme sentiment. We’ll analyze the bounce for sustainability. Also note that Friday is expirations. I tend to see reversals line up with expirations.

The Stock Barometer is my proprietary market timing system. The direction, slope and level of the Stock Barometer determine our outlook. For example, if the barometer line is moving down, we are in Sell Mode. A Buy or Sell Signal is triggered when the indicator clearly changes direction. Trend and support can override the barometer signals.

Money Management & Stops

To trade this system, there are a few things you need to know and address to control your risk:

• This system targets intermediate term moves, of which even in the best years, there are usually only up to 7 profitable intermediate term moves. The rest of the year will be consolidating moves where this system will experience small losses and gains that offset each other.
  • This system will usually result in losing trades more than 50% of the time, even in our best years. The key is being positioned properly for longer term moves when they come.
  • Therefore it is vitally important that you apply some form of money management to protect your capital.
  • Trading a leveraged index fund will result in more risk, since you cannot set stops and you cannot get out intraday.

Accordingly;

• Make sure you set your stops so that you can lose no more than 2% per trade (based on the QQQQ if you're trading leveraged funds and options with our trading service).

Potential Cycle Reversal Dates

2011 Potential Reversal Dates: 1/15, 1/29, 2/16, 3/10, 3/18, 4/6, 5/21, 5/31, 6/13, 6/24. We publish dates up to 2 months in advance.

It appears our key reversal date came in - our next date is 6/24. I would normally look to that as the next top. But sometimes these dates can stay in one direction, meaning this could be a secondary, higher low. We’re still in the window of a 9 month cycle low. With the next cycles peaking later in July.

My Additional timing work is based on numerous cycles and has resulted in the above potential reversal dates. These are not to be confused with the barometer signals or cycle times. However, due to their past accuracy I post the dates here.

2010 Potential Reversal Dates: 1/19, 1/28, 3/2, 3/23, 4/7, 5/30, 6/10, 6/28, 7/10, 8/13, 9/7, 10/2, 10/27, 11/21, 12/19. We publish dates up to 2 months in advance. 2009 Published Reversal Dates: 1/20, 2/11, 3/7, 3/15, 4/8, 4/16, 4/27, 5/7, 6/8, 7/2, 7/17, 9/14, 10/10, 10/24, 11/12, 11/30, 12/9, 12/21, 12/29. 2008 Potential Reversal Dates: 12/31, 1/11, 2/1, 2/13, 3/6, 4/5, 4/22, 5/23, 6/6, 6/27, 7/13, 9/2, 10/3, 10/22, 11/10, 12/11. 2007 Potential Reversal Dates: 1/10, 1/14, 1/27, 1/31, 2/3, 2/17, 3/10, 3/24, 4/21, 5/6, 6/15, 8/29, 10/19, 11/29, 12/13, 12/23, 12/31, 1/11/08. 2006 potential reversal dates: 1/16, 1/30, 2/25, 3/19, 4/8, 5/8, 5/19, 6/6(20), 7/24, 8/20, 8/29, 9/15, 10/11, 11/28. 2005 Potential reversal dates: 12/27, 1/25, 2/16, 3/4, 3/14, 3/29, 4/5, 4/19, 5/2, 6/3, 6/10, 7/13, 7/28, 8/12, 8/30-31, 9/22, 10/4, 11/15, 11/20, 12/16.

Timing Indicators

Use the following Timing/momentum indicators to assist in your trading of the QQQQ, GLD, USD, USO and TLT. They are tuned to deliver signals in line with the Stock Barometer and we use them only in determining our overall outlook for the market and for pinpointing market reversals. The level, direction, and position to the zero line are keys in these indicators. For example, direction determines mode and a buy signal 'above zero' is more bullish than a buy signal 'below zero'.

QQQQ Timing Indicator (NASDAQ:QQQQ)

Posted Image

The QQQQ Spread Indicator will yield its own buy and sell signals that may be different from the Stock Barometer. It's meant to give us an idea of the next turn in the market.

Gold Timing Indicator (AMEX:GLD)

Posted Image

Want to trade Gold? Use our signals with the Gold ETF AMEX:GLD. Gold gives us a general gage to the overall health of the US Economy and the markets.

US Dollar Index Timing Indicator (INDEX:DXY)

Posted Image

Want to trade the US Dollar? Use our signals with the Power Shares AMEX:UUP: US Dollar Index Bullish Fund and AMEX:UDN: US Dollar Index Bearish Fund.

Bonds Timing Indicator (AMEX:TLT)

Posted Image

Want to trade Bonds? Use our signals with Lehman?s 20 year ETF AMEX:TLT. The direction of bonds has an impact on the stock market. Normally, as bonds go down, stocks will go up and as bonds go up, stocks will go down.

OIL Timing Indicator (AMEX:USO)

Posted Image

Want to trade OIL? Use our signals with AMEX:USO, the OIL ETF. We look at the price of oil as its level and direction has an impact on the stock market.

Secondary Stock Market Timing Indicator

Posted Image

We daily monitor hundreds of popular and proprietary technical indicators that break down market internals, sentiment and money flow to give us unique insight into the market. We feature at least one here each day in support of our current outlook. As an annual subscriber to any of our services, you will get access to all our charts and research.

Daily Stock Market Outlook

We remain in Buy Mode - continuing to look for a significant bounce off short term extreme sentiment - into the end of June.

The above chart shows breadth. Breadth can act as fuel for a rally. Again, any fuel needs a catalyst to get going. Much akin to starting an engine. The starter is turning over. We just need to see the fuel get in the engine and get burned off.

Let’s look at volatility:

Posted Image

This view looks at relative movement of the indicator versus the market. We could move to another level lower, but I don’t believe we will. This is on a buy signal.

I put up some high short interest stocks for the Nasdaq and NYSE on my Blog. Link below.

In addition, I’ve moved some of my other traders articles to new sites for educational purposes. Here’s the first one I’ll give you - McMillan ETF Portfolio.

If you’re looking for more information, please visit our blog - I’ll have updates and publish other articles there. http://investmentres...group.com/Blog/

Regards,

Posted Image Jay DeVincentis is President of Investment research Group, Inc. and founder of www.stockbarometer.com. Jay worked as an executive in the financial services industry for over 21 years and left to form his own company in line with his passion, the financial markets. Jay Graduated from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA with a Mechanical Engineering Degree. Jay has been advising his clients what to buy and when for over 10 years. He is a market timer, a stock trader, a day trader and a stock investor and also conducts online stock trading classes.

Copyright © 2004-2011 Investment Research Group, Inc.
d/b/a www.Stockbarometer.com. All Rights Reserved.