"Climate change is the biggest challenge of our time"

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

Prom slogan for Chicago Public Schools: 'This Is Are Story'...

Too bad that this is "ARE" future.
The can't reed or writ.
No nuthin about solar cycles.
But they no all bout golbal warmin.

Not sure this is your point, but, yes, with the relentless tax-cutting mania of the past 30 years and denial of science investigation and fact-finding, and the attacks on public teachers and public schools, it's no wonder we have now have a sizable part of the population that has been deprived of an adequate education, and an even greater part of the population that is actually proud of being ignorant (and worse it's the latter who more often vote). Yes, "ARE" story is an increasingly sad one in an increasingly competitive world. And finally, yes, as a nation it appears we ARE in big trouble

:(

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#22 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

relentless tax-cutting mania of the past 30 years

More money is not the answer that you thoughtlessly imply.
Please study what happened with Kansas City's judge mandated spending spree.
It was a total failure and waste of resources.

America’s Most Costly Educational Failure
School reformers rejoiced when Federal District Judge Russell Clark took control of the district in ‘85. He ruled it was unconstitutionally segregated, with dilapidated facilities and students who performed poorly. To bring the district into compliance. the judge ordered it and the state over the next 12 years to spend nearly $2 billion to build more schools, renovate old ones, integrate classrooms and bring student test scores up to national norms.

But when the judge finally took himself off the case last year, there was little to show academically for all that money. Although the district’s 37,000 mostly minority students enjoyed some of the best-funded school facilities in the country, student performance hadn’t improved.

It was a major embarrassment and an ideological setback for backers of vastly increased funding for public schools. From the start, proponents of Kansas City’s desegregation and education plan had touted it as a controlled experiment that would resolve once and for all two radically different philosophies of education.

For more than a decade, the Kansas City district got more money per pupil than any other of the 280 major school districts in the country. Yet in spite of having perhaps the finest facilities of any school district its size in the country, nothing changed. Test scores stayed put, the three-grade-level achievement gap between blacks and whites did not change, and the dropout rate went up, not down. LINK

Ignore the fact that government programs have devastated families, especially minorities.
The "Great Society" Fails our children, families

Ignore the fact that the basics are not taught because government indoctrination camps don't want an informed student capable of critical thinking.

"U.N. Climate Panel Endorses Ceiling on Global Emissions"
These "Watermelon environmentalists" are green on the outside but always pink down deep.
Anti-American, anti-capitalist global climate fraud is the topic de jour taught by the displaced commies from the 1960's, thus these ignorant children have little hope for the future because they blindly believe that "Climate change is the biggest challenge of our time".

No nuthin about solar cycles.

Exactly!

Edited by Rogerdodger, 11 June 2014 - 12:11 AM.

#23 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:07 AM

Water Wars break out in Texas

Urban versus rural. City slickers versus cowpokes and environmentalists. Too many people versus not enough water. And on top of it all a blistering drought. Texas is "open for business" until dust comes out of the faucets.

There are benefits in the midst of conflict. Cowpokes are beginning to learn it's the environmentalists who may save their butts.

Thomas Morton from Vice on HBO went to drought-stricken Texas where residents who deny the science of manmade climate change are praying for rain:

TRYING HARD TO NOT BELIEVE IN CLIMATE CHANGE IN TEXAS

...even while driving through the dust to the mud puddle that is the remains of the town of San Angelo's drinking-water reservoir. :rolleyes: :swoon:

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#24 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Banner year for ice bergs. Shhh!

East Coast icebergs almost close enough to touch...

"Icebergs are so plentiful around these parts, we actually put them to good use," says the Newfoundland and Labrador tourism website. Iceberg water, iceberg vodka and iceberg beer are all crafted using the water from the ocean's natural ice cubes.
And though the area usually has plenty of bergs, this year they've been especially plentiful, says iceberg expert Stephen Bruneau.
He said more icebergs than usual survived the trip down south, toward Newfoundland's coast, this year.
"I think it has to do with the harshness of the winter," the Memorial University associate professor told Canada AM earlier this week. "We had more sea ice around, and when we have more sea ice, there tends to be a preservation of the icebergs."

"More sea ice" is a result of global warming. :lol:
Antarctic ice cover is breaking all records!

Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 15 June 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#25 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

We Okies know it has not ever been hotter than the 1930's, at least in recorded history.

But if you fiddle with the data, you can fool a lot of city slickers.

Scandal of fiddled global warming data...
USA has actually been COOLING since 1930s, the hottest decade on record...

"In recent years, NOAA’s US Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) has been “adjusting” its record by replacing real temperatures with data “fabricated” by computer models. The effect of this has been to downgrade earlier temperatures and to exaggerate those from recent decades, to give the impression that the Earth has been warming up much more than is justified by the actual data.
Goddard compares the currently published temperature graphs with those based only on temperatures measured at the time. These show that the US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record; whereas the latest graph, nearly half of it based on “fabricated” data, shows it to have been warming at a rate equivalent to more than 3 degrees centigrade per century."

"Any theory needing to rely so consistently on fudging the evidence, I concluded, must be looked on not as science at all, but as simply a rather alarming case study in the aberrations of group psychology."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 22 June 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#26 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Finally a big-money Republican wises up:

Henry Paulson on "The Coming Climate Crash"

From the link:

We’re making the same mistake today with climate change. We’re staring down a climate bubble that poses enormous risks to both our environment and economy. The warning signs are clear and growing more urgent as the risks go unchecked.

This is a crisis we can’t afford to ignore. I feel as if I’m watching as we fly in slow motion on a collision course toward a giant mountain. We can see the crash coming, and yet we’re sitting on our hands rather than altering course.

We need to act now, even though there is much disagreement, including from members of my own Republican Party, on how to address this issue while remaining economically competitive. They’re right to consider the economic implications. But we must not lose sight of the profound economic risks of doing nothing.

The solution can be a fundamentally conservative one that will empower the marketplace to find the most efficient response. We can do this by putting a price on emissions of carbon dioxide — a carbon tax. Few in the United States now pay to emit this potent greenhouse gas into the atmosphere we all share. Putting a price on emissions will create incentives to develop new, cleaner energy technologies.

It’s true that the United States can’t solve this problem alone. But we’re not going to be able to persuade other big carbon polluters to take the urgent action that’s needed if we’re not doing everything we can do to slow our carbon emissions and mitigate our risks.

#27 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” A.H.

the United States can't solve this problem

Where is the evidence that CO2 is a problem other than the often repeated dogma?
The facts are the problem for this global re-distribution tax scheme.

Supreme Court limits EPA's ability to regulate greenhouse gases...
Obama Warns of 'Hurricane Intensity' Despite 8-Year Hiatus...
Australian PM introduces bill to repeal carbon tax...

Apply 'Occam's Razor'...
Apply Occam's Razor to global climate variations and cycles:
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a trace gas in Earth's atmosphere comprising about 0.04% of the total atmosphere.
The total solar energy absorbed by Earth's atmosphere, oceans and land masses is approximately 3,850,000 exajoules (EJ) per year. This is more energy in one hour than the world used in one year.

Two scientists walk out of a bar on a hot mid August afternoon.
Does one scientists say to the other: "It's a scorcher out here. The CO2 must be off the charts today."?
No...Unless they are being bought and paid for.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 June 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#28 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Supreme Court limits EPA's ability to regulate greenhouse gases...

"Two hombres took a run at me in Duluth," Billy Bob Thornton's hit-man character tells his contractor-contact in the TV series, "Fargo."

"Mexicans?!" the other guy exclaims.

"That was not the part of the sentence to focus on," Thornton's character says.

Here's the Washington Post's real headline: "Supreme Court: EPA can regulate greenhouse gas emissions, with some limits."

"Limits?"

As Billy Bob's character would say: "That was not the part of the headline to focus on."

From your link:

The Supreme Court on Monday mostly validated the Environmental Protection Agency’s plans to regulate power plant and factory emissions of greenhouse gases blamed for global warming while imposing some limits on the agency’s reach.

The justices said the EPA could not rewrite specific standards written into the law, but they still handed the Obama administration and environmentalists a big victory by agreeing there was another way for the EPA to carry out its program.

“EPA is getting almost everything it wanted in this case,” Justice Antonin Scalia said from the bench, in announcing the decision. “It sought to regulate sources that it said were responsible for 86 percent of all the greenhouse gases emitted from stationary sources nationwide. Under our holdings, EPA will be able to regulate sources responsible for 83 percent of those emissions.”

The decision concerns rules separate from the EPA’s proposed more comprehensive plans released earlier this month to cut carbon emissions from existing plants by as much as 25 percent over 15 years.

“Today is a good day for all supporters of clean air and public health and those concerned with creating a better environment for future generations,” the EPA said in a statement.

Perhaps of more value than the specific case, the court reinforced its view that the Clean Air Act gives the agency the ability to regulate greenhouse gases. Sean H. Donahue, who represented environmental agencies in the case, said the decision makes clear that seven of the nine justices hold that view.

“It’s settled law,” he said.

:clap:

#29 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Good diversion try as usual. And a nice disparaging comparison, as usual. No science as usual, just group think as usual. The EPA is not a science based group but is simply a political tool just like the Spanish Inquisition or the IRS. As far as movies, think Idiocracy where the "scientific" consensus wisdom was that plants were dying around the world because they needed more Brawndo. [cabinet has been debating putting water on the plants instead of Brawndo] Attorney General: Water? Like out of the toilet? Pvt. Joe Bowers: What *are* these electrolytes? Do you even know? Secretary of State: They're... what they use to make Brawndo! Pvt. Joe Bowers: But *why* do they use them to make Brawndo? Secretary of Defense: [raises hand after a pause] Because Brawndo's got electrolytes. Secretary of State: I'm Secretary of State, brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 June 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#30 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

One rural community responds to climate change

From the link:

Morris is one of the many smaller, rural towns across the country that have been largely been left out of national discussions about how to address climate change, but it’s clear that it’s time for a shift. Climate change has been so overly politicized that many have lost track of the true challenges it poses at the community level, and of the fact that those communities know best how to address those challenges. Our rural communities are great places to live; we must secure them for the next generation. As one Morris student shared in reflection of the student jury process conducted at the High School, “Climate change is going to affect business and the agricultural world […] I really thought about how this change is going to affect my generation and those that come after me so I am ready to do something about climate change.”

Progress.

:)