The human cost of "green" energy

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

One of the best energy efficient zone heaters ever made has been outlawed to save the environment...and kill the birds!!!
:lighten:

Incandescent bulb ban leaves bird hospital cold...

Edited by Rogerdodger, 13 January 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#12 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

One of the best energy efficient zone heaters ever made has been outlawed to save the environment...and kill the birds!!!
:lighten:

Incandescent bulb ban leaves bird hospital cold...

They (anyone) can still buy "rough service" incandescent bulbs...just look on the internet, they are pretty cheap. Many Links here

Edited by *JB*, 13 January 2014 - 11:58 PM.

"Don't think...LOOK!"
Carl Swenlin, founder of Decision Point and original Fearless Forecasters board.

#13 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Another day in green energy because of the riches made by its proponents... :D

Buy them dips --

Posted Image

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#14 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

Emphasizing MENTAL in environ-MENTAL:
We used to have 6 ton, diesel consuming, smoke spewing, trucks come through the neighborhood to pick up a few empty milk cartons to save the planet. DUH!

Report: DC’s green-approved buildings using more energy

Washington, D.C. may have the highest number of certified green buildings in the country, but research by Environmental Policy Alliance suggests it might not be doing much good.
The free-market group analyzed the first round of energy usage data released by city officials Friday and found that large, privately-owned buildings that received the green energy certification Leadership in Energy Design (LEED) actually use more energy than buildings that didn’t receive this green stamp of approval.
LEED is the brainchild of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), a private environmental group.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 04 March 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#15 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

Buy them dips --

Posted Image

Solar energy has a market -- home and local business users -- but is not able to replace large power generation. It CAN NOT operate on any large scale without backup power production from nuclear/fossil when the sun is not shining. On a small scale, you can use battery back up. I've used it solar electrical set ups mydelf.

Large arrays are being built, the newest in Mexico. BUT, they have no plans except to sell to the grid for peak usage hours during the day....yes they will be able to replace SOME older power plants -- but the cost will be very HIGH. They will reduce some pollution -- at that point (forget the manufacturing). Passive solar can produce steam generation, but require huge amounts of land -- and again -- only during bright daylight.

Because of the high cost of heavy solar reliance -- as I have pointed out before -- a million Germans are unable to afford electricity at ALL!

Both the panels and batteries require huge amount of rare earth and their manufacture produces HUGE amounts highly toxic heavy metals and other chemical pollution. China is not just the leading manufacture of the panels because of cost -- but -- because they don't worry about these toxic effects on their land and their people. China is willing to have 750,000 people a year die DIRECTLY from pollution.

Your list of companies that supply solar equipment...they use Chinese panels. Few, if any, companies in the US have survived the cost and regulations.

Maybe in the far future this will change, but it is not foreseen by even the most ardent educated supporters of solar energy. Electric cars/trucks, charged by solar installations are a niche that solar can fill --- but is highly impractical for all but the most targeted -- and inflexible -- uses.

Edited by *JB*, 04 March 2014 - 06:33 PM.

"Don't think...LOOK!"
Carl Swenlin, founder of Decision Point and original Fearless Forecasters board.

#16 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Buy them dips --

Posted Image

Solar energy has a market -- home and local business users -- but is not able to replace large power generation. It CAN NOT operate on any large scale without backup power production from nuclear/fossil when the sun is not shining. On a small scale, you can use battery back up. I've used it solar electrical set ups mydelf.

Large arrays are being built, the newest in Mexico. BUT, they have no plans except to sell to the grid for peak usage hours during the day....yes they will be able to replace SOME older power plants -- but the cost will be very HIGH. They will reduce some pollution -- at that point (forget the manufacturing). Passive solar can produce steam generation, but require huge amounts of land -- and again -- only during bright daylight.

Because of the high cost of heavy solar reliance -- as I have pointed out before -- a million Germans are unable to afford electricity at ALL!

Both the panels and batteries require huge amount of rare earth and their manufacture produces HUGE amounts highly toxic heavy metals and other chemical pollution. China is not just the leading manufacture of the panels because of cost -- but -- because they don't worry about these toxic effects on their land and their people. China is willing to have 750,000 people a year die DIRECTLY from pollution.

Your list of companies that supply solar equipment...they use Chinese panels. Few, if any, companies in the US have survived the cost and regulations.

Maybe in the far future this will change, but it is not foreseen by even the most ardent educated supporters of solar energy. Electric cars/trucks, charged by solar installations are a niche that solar can fill --- but is highly impractical for all but the most targeted -- and inflexible -- uses.

So are you making any money or is XOM your cup of sludge?

ANOTHER DAY (TODAY) IN ALT-ENERGY AND FRIENDS

P.S.

You are actually saying that 750,000 people a year die in China directly from the pollution of solar energy production! If the killing pollution from coal and other fossil fuels in China as not so absolutely tragic, I'd have to laugh out loud at that.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#17 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

You are actually saying that 750,000 people a year die in China directly from the pollution of solar energy production! If the killing pollution from coal and other fossil fuels in China as not so absolutely tragic, I'd have to laugh out loud at that.

Pollution...period. Just Like I said. They do NOT care about POLLUTION!....including huge sites for the MINING of rare earths and very toxic metals.

CLICK HERE ---> Here are a few snap shots
"Don't think...LOOK!"

#18 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Pollution...period. Just Like I said. They do NOT care about POLLUTION!....including huge sites for the MINING of rare earths and very toxic metals. Bad drinking water ALL around and poisoning from people's direct contact with the earth/water/plants around these sites.

CLICK HERE ---> Here are a few snap shots

Edited by *JB*, 04 March 2014 - 11:35 PM.

"Don't think...LOOK!"

#19 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

This is not on the same topic, but I believe that Fracking will prove to be a major problem for ground water contamination in the years to come. If an oil CEO did not even want them to Frack near his property it is proof it is bad.

#20 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Electric carmaker begs people not to buy car?
The CEO of Fiat Chrysler said he hopes that people don’t buy his company’s electric car, the Fiat 500e, which he is forced to sell at a loss because of state and federal mandates.
“I hope you don’t buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000,” Sergio Marchionne told the audience at the Brookings Institute during a discussion of the auto bailout.
“I’m honest enough to tell you that I will make the car, I’ll make it available which is my requirement but I will sell the limit of what I need to sell and not one more,” said Marchionne.
Fiat Chrysler produces two Fiat 500s. The gas-powered Fiat 500 has a base price of $17,300. The electric Fiat 500e runs $32,650, according to Reuters.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 23 May 2014 - 04:48 PM.