bottom fishing

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#11 stubaby

stubaby

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

it looks to me like wti is putting in a h&s top. it has tested the neckline from underneath and is coming back down
this could be good for the miners. also keep in mind the sanctions were put on gold by india to reduce trade deficits. their largest trade deficit comes from oil. so, this could lead to easing /removal of import restrictions. modi leads in the april elections . he is gold industry friendly
this pullback was to be expected. now we see if it holds support. if it is the bottom, then a process could develop. i dont see the drivers highlighted @ this point.
i am and continue to be cautious. last year january was a good month, and then it all started falling apart from february onwards.
although this bottom looks promising, it is yet to prove the bottom is in. i am sitting w/some cash and waiting. there is compelling values in this sector
dharma

dharma:

Yep on the WTIC! I follow both $GOLD:$WTIC and $GOLD:$CCI RATIO Charts - these can give important clues on the "cost side" for the miners, i.e., both Gold and Oil climbing like 2006-8 is NOT a good set-up, IMHO, but after Oil fell to $35 in 2008-9 and Gold fell less - that was a much better set-up. I see WTIC near $80 minimum and perhaps lower. I also watch the YEN closely for clues on the direction for Gold, FWIW.

stubaby B)

#12 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

I would quibble here, IMO there are "signs" of a possible bottom but no confirming or significant evidence at all yet.

Sounds like you're describing a pause in the trend. :yes:

It's just a matter of being patient until money flow improves enough so that prices can actually break away from the "bear market default".

As promised before, when I see signs of this, I will share it with the board.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#13 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

From the FWIW department there is a minor Bradley turn date Jan 9th
Peace
johngeorge

#14 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,941 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

I would quibble here, IMO there are "signs" of a possible bottom but no confirming or significant evidence at all yet.

It's just a matter of being patient until money flow improves enough so that prices can actually break away from the "bear market default".

Fib

that is all it is so far, but there are IMO good reasons it "might be" a key or even final bottom, but no real evidence of that yet. A conservative approach is warranted for sure.

BSing away

Senor

#15 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Fib

that is all it is so far, but there are IMO good reasons it "might be" a key or even final bottom, but no real evidence of that yet. A conservative approach is warranted for sure.

BSing away

Senor

my take as well
we need to see resistance taken out.
@this point the psychology seems right. folks will short this thing all the way to the highs
its only a matter of the time being right and the trend will change. so far its just another bounce in the long line of rally failures.
dharma

#16 risk_management

risk_management

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

I like the action today. But I am interested in short term and short term only.

#17 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,193 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

The dollar went up and gold also went up in the past few days, this may be an important development, meaning there are other reasons gold went up other than the dollar being weak as has tended to be the case in past months.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$GOLD&p=D&b=5&g=0&i=p60553503186&r=1389132662393.png
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#18 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

yes, i have been watching that also. the dollar is firm. gold has to prove itself by taking out some resistance. otherwise this is just a garden variety bounce. i am keyed on the miners. after tax selling. selling in general, and disgust. this market could very well be sold out. it offers tremendous potential. those who were around in the last bull or even wave 1 2k-2011 saw tremendous gains. so the miners have my attention, they have managed to get below the 08 lows. so on a relative to gold/silver basis they are cheap. last time the move commenced after the banksters were very long. and that may be what the wait is about. free markets?! dharma

#19 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

1-2-3 month gofo all negative. where is the physical ? HGNSI unchanged again yesterday at -30% / MarketVane’s Bullish Consensus fell a point today to 38%. dharma

Edited by dharma, 08 January 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#20 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,041 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

silver getting creamed esp relative to gold seems to me we head to new lows sooner rather than later while the board markets melt up