head and shoulder

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TomD

TomD

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:26 PM

just want to coment that I think the "Head and shoulder" pattern is the most over used and misused chart pattern out there
Health Canada has just released a study which shows that 100% of the population who have been exposed to whole milk products will die.

#2 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:28 PM

Yep
"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#3 uncleharley

uncleharley

• Traders-Talk User
  • 648 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:44 PM

On this forum it certainly is. :huh:

#4 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

just want to coment that I think the "Head and shoulder" pattern is the most over used and misused chart pattern out there

I agree!

To be used correctly -- IMO -- one should look to play it BOTH ways...especially if it fails!!!

1 -- A H&S that breaks the neckline should be traded -- but a violation of that neckline is a signal to get out of the trade and look to go back long -- as with number 2 below.

2 -- A H&S that fails to break the neckline -- or a retest of the neckline after it is first broken -- and then goes on to take out the right shoulder is a very often a HUGE opportunity for catching a big move in a continuation of the original trend.

In general any formation that fails is OFTEN a much stronger signal than the "expected" move one sees as it forms....most people just get out when these formations fail, sit buy and miss the bigger move.
"Don't think...LOOK!"
Carl Swenlin, founder of Decision Point and original Fearless Forecasters board.

#5 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:13 PM

From what I have observed over the years, most geometric and/or technical patterns that yield measuring objectives are misused because most don't even consider the key characteristic of all of these patterns....volume. Volume of a price structure is very important in truly identifying any or all price pattern analysis, and seperate what looks "visual" from those where actual trading positions can and should be applied. Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:19 PM

Here is an example of a FAILED H&S:
http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=$indu,uu[e,a]daclyyay[dd][pb50!b200][vc60][iub14!la12,26,9][j33565023,y]&r=4890.png

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:59 PM

I am taking the opportunity to zoom in on the price area in which RD posted previously as to provide an example of how important volume is in any or all price pattern analysis.

The key volume characteristic of a head and shoulders pattern is that the volume that accompanies such a price structure should have above average volume on the left shoulder, as much if not more when forming the head, and then lesser than average volume on any construction of the right shoulder. The other key element is that the formation of the head must have greater volume than that of any low point from where the left shoulder ends and the head begins.

As represented by the Dow chart shown below, the volume characteristics of the right shoulder may have been one idea, but the "head" of the pattern was barely able to maintain greater than average volume, and never took out the climatic volume low of late November.

Because of this, the pattern being traced out was more than likely a consolidation pattern, which eventually did lead to the smart advance that followed in the December period.

Fib

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=$indu,uu[w,a]dahayyay[d20031001,20031201][pc200][vc60][i]&r=5696.png

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#8 david_neeran

david_neeran

• Traders-Talk User
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

I agree!

To be used correctly -- IMO -- one should look to play it BOTH ways...especially if it fails!!!

1 -- A H&S that breaks the neckline should be traded -- but a violation of that neckline is a signal to get out of the trade and look to go back long -- as with number 2 below.

2 -- A H&S that fails to break the neckline -- or a retest of the neckline after it is first broken -- and then goes on to take out the right shoulder is a very often a HUGE opportunity for catching a big move in a continuation of the original trend.

In general any formation that fails is OFTEN a much stronger signal than the "expected" move one sees as it forms....most people just get out when these formations fail, sit buy and miss the bigger move.

Weclome back, an excellent post.

I've heard or read or both, that the DOUBLE BOTTOM is one of , if not the most, reliable of indicators. Anyone can confirm and elaborate on this?

#9 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:53 PM

From what I've seen the problem is consistancy of the individual. But maybe I'm projecting there.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#10 Guest_Hawkeye_*

Guest_Hawkeye_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:47 PM

Perhaps those of you that feel the pattern is misused, should post specific examples of triggered patterns that acutally have failed, so we know what you are talking about. I'm lost. I wasn't here in November so I don't know why that example is being used, the right shoulder never broke down, and the pattern never triggered at the neckline, so it really never existed to begin with. I consider any reversal pattern as potential until it is actually triggers, and highly suspect until it is confirmed using the 3% price rule. I short right shoulder areas all the time, and set tight stops becuase of the high risk. Volume is relative and highly subjective. I have seen HnS patterns with text book volume patterns that ended up failing after they confirmed, and I have seen HnS patterns that had highly suspect volume patterns go on to complete their measurments. The small Hns top that triggered in March sure has wreacked havoc with this market, in spite of being sloppy and imperfect volume, it made it's downside measurment on 3/22/2004 @10,045