• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Justice Roberts, writing for the majority:

"Congress passed the Affordable Care Act to improve health insurance markets, not to destroy them."

Obamacare here to stay

Finally, now is the time to begin improving it more.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 colion

colion

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:35 PM

Scalia's extremely strong dissent will undoubtedly solidify the push for repeal and reform of Obamacare in 2016 on the GOP side while the donkeys man the barriers in an attempt to maintain the status quo. This leaves the other third of the electorate in the unaffiliated group to decide the outcome. Until then, IMO, the chance of improving, as opposed to weakening, is nil.

Scalia on Obamacare ruling (excerpts)

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

Scalia's extremely strong dissent will undoubtedly solidify the push for repeal and reform of Obamacare in 2016 on the GOP side while the donkeys man the barriers in an attempt to maintain the status quo. This leaves the other third of the electorate in the unaffiliated group to decide the outcome. Until then, IMO, the chance of improving, as opposed to weakening, is nil.

Scalia on Obamacare ruling (excerpts)

:D

It is already improved. That bellyache you have today? Even if you are in a state where the fools you elected refused to take the Medicaid expansion, you can, without worry now, get help for that from the federal government.

By the way this video about a fragile Kentuckian trying the walk the "hard path" to getting health insurance in what continues to be one of the lowest ranked medical systems in the industrialized world is a poignant, telling example of why the time for obstruction needs to pass and the time, as Chief Justice Roberts opined today, to seek further improvements of health insurance markets is obviously once again at hand:

TAKE CARE, MR. ELSON

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#4 colion

colion

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

There has been a need to cover pre-existing conditions for decades and both parties screwed up. Obamacare's major contribution is putting the issue in the spotlight albeit the wrong way. But the spotlight is good.

Medicaid is clearly not the living end in part because it is quite difficult to find a physician who takes Medicaid (payments often don't cover expenses) so covered persons go to the ER at about 5-10 times the cost. What did they do before Obamacare? Well they went to the ER. Quite a system that most would not claim is an improvement. One interesting tidbit is that a high percentage (around 40% as I recall) did not apply for Medicaid before Obamacare although they were eligible. So now they are forced into Medicaid at an additional cost and still live in the ER. If you stand on your head that's progress.

In the meantime those who are not on Medicaid or getting big subsidies are dropping insurance or purposely put off getting medical attention or prescriptions because premiums, deductibles and co-pays have gone through the roof. Or in the case of the under 30ish crowd who have to bear a disproportionate chunk of the costs due to Obamacare's nutty one size fits all community rating system many apparently are opting out and thumbing their nose at the IRS penalty (or "tax" in SCOTUSland) because the IRS is not empowered to go after delinquent payments except by withholding tax refunds which can be minimized (will Congress make up this shortfall?). At the same time physicians are getting harder to find as they take early retirement, become salaried, etc. in response to bureaucratic pressure from Washington and people have to turn to more expensive alternatives like concierge practices that are sprouting up all over.

What ever happened to the affordable part of ACA? What happened to if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor? Be that as it may I'm confident that this will all get resolved as a law that lacks public backing (consistent negative polling by about 10% since 2000 - http://www.realclear...plan-1130.html) will not survive. It is just a question of when not if the electorate will do what is necessary to get it replaced. So grab a bag of popcorn and watch the show.

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

File under: "What's good for the goose..."

BILL WOULD PUT SUPREMES ON OBAMACARE

The SCOTUScare Act will require the Supreme Court and all of its employees to sign up for ObamaCare :clap:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 25 June 2015 - 10:13 PM.

#6 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

GOP presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) took to the Senate floor telling the justices to leave the courtroom and run for office if they wish to create laws.

“If those justices want to become legislators, I invite them to resign and run for office. That’s the appropriate place to write laws: on this floor, not from that courtroom,” challenged Cruz.

“Jonathan Gruber famously said Obamacare was built on exploiting the stupidity of the American people. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court is now complicit in that deception,” charged Cruz.

If you’re a young person right now, you have student loans up to your eyeballs, you don’t know if you’re going to get a job & the dismal economy means your future is bleak.

Today, the United States Supreme Court has joined arm-in-arm with President Obama and the IRS has illegally imposed taxes on you.

http://www.breitbart...run-for-office/
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

This is the type of post that marks the edge of what's acceptable on this board. I'd have moved this post, except, well the darned board is called "Health and Sanity". This is an experiment to leave this post, but it's a whisper from being moved. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#8 colion

colion

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

Relying on "fact checkers" is a precarious route to the truth. Much has been written about their (choose your poison) incompetence, bias, etc. Here is one that I tucked away from the 2012 election period:

Mirror, mirror on the wall which is the worst of all

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,998 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

One of the first rules in the terms of service is "Don't annoy the moderators". Somebody seems to have forgotten that.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#10 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

One of the first rules in the terms of service is "Don't annoy the moderators".

Somebody seems to have forgotten that.

Forgotten? Not at all. In fact that was the point. You just don't, as always, comprehend the reason why. You haven't for some time now. Oh well, it doesn't really matter anymore and it hasn't for a while. This cesspool, who's name is the epitome of irony, and Fearless Forecaster are what they are nowadays. People are gone and, outside of some still here lurking for laughs, are not coming back.

Edited by milbank, 28 June 2015 - 08:45 PM.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe