• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

A Collegiate System of Corruption and Crime

Outside the Lines released a report on athletes at several universities, their crimes and the curious lack of convictions or even prosecutions. The universities protect these athletes, and it is not hard to see why. They are an investment. They are an asset. These guys put butts in the seats.

It is breathtaking to read about the speed that a university moves to protect these guys from local law enforcement. Legal defense help is always just one phone call away. Contrast this with the hounding that one reads in rape accusation stories across America for regular guys.

This system of cover-ups is also the result of gigantic media rights deals. Sold out stadiums make schools plenty of money, but the money they get from network television deals bankrolls quite a bit on campus.

The media sells the games not on the game itself as much as the players. CBS carries the SEC and must have cried tears of joy when Tim Tebow said he would come back for his senior year. Media entities start coverage for these guys when they are teens in high school, building their investment in the players and teams as blue chip recruits.

The sickest part of it might be the fans. I have no love for journalists, but fans threatening journalists investigating college athletes is pathetic and insane

http://www.socialmat...tion-and-crime/
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#2 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

It is breathtaking to read about the speed that a university moves to protect these guys from local law enforcement. Legal defense help is always just one phone call away. Contrast this with the hounding that one reads in rape accusation stories across America for regular guys.

Retired NFL Star Cris Carter told NFL rookies to get 'a fall guy'

"Just in case y'all not going to decide to do the right thing, if y'all got a crew, you got to have a 'fall guy' in the crew," Carter said.

Carter's message also included the lesson on how "to get around" getting in trouble.

"I let my own boys know … y'all want to keep rolling like this," Carter says in the video. "Then I need to know who's going to be the fall guy, who's going to be driving. Y'all not going to do all the right stuff now. I got to teach y'all how to get around all this stuff."

http://www.cbssports...s-inappropriate
-- -
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#3 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

Sony Altered ‘Concussion’ Film to Prevent N.F.L. Protests

When Sony Pictures decided to make a movie focusing on the death and dementia professional football players have endured from repeated hits to the head — and the N.F.L.’s efforts toward a cover-up — it signed Will Smith to star as one of the first scientists to disclose the problem. It named the film bluntly, “Concussion.”

In the end even Sony, which unlike most other major studios in Hollywood has no significant business ties to the N.F.L., found itself softening some points it might have made against the multibillion-dollar sports enterprise that controls the nation’s most-watched game

http://www.nytimes.c...-show.html?_r=0
-- -

#4 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

Five Rutgers football players arrested, suspended from team

The Rutgers football coach makes one million dollars a year.

The probe began following a home invasion on April 26, where three masked men forced their way into the home and stole an undisclosed amount of cash and marijuana from five students at gunpoint.

One of the victims of the attack was a 19-year-old Rutgers student who had his jaw broken.

Rutgers professor of economics Mark R. Killingsworth ripped the school's athletics department for yet another football-related scandal.

"The administration's mantra is that its deficit spending on athletics is 'building the Rutgers brand.' The reality is that it's just giving us one public-relations disaster after another."

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2347611
-- -

#5 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:44 AM

Five Rutgers football players arrested, suspended from team

The Rutgers football coach makes one million dollars a year.

The probe began following a home invasion on April 26, where three masked men forced their way into the home and stole an undisclosed amount of cash and marijuana from five students at gunpoint.

Rutgers suspended its football coach for plotting to improve a player's grades

Rutgers University has suspended head football coach Kyle Flood for three games and fined him $50,000 for improper contact with a professor regarding a player's academic performance.

According to a the results of a school investigation, it was determined that Flood "had repeated contact (by email and an in-person meeting) with a faculty member" to discuss a player's ineligibility as a result of his academic performance.

http://finance.yahoo...-142024089.html
-- -

#6 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:01 AM

Terry Bradshaw rips Greg Hardy and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in fiery rant

The former Steelers quarterback is tired of woman beaters like Hardy being allowed to continue to collect a paycheck and play in the NFL. He's tired of people like Jerry Jones who care more about the success of their football team than creating a better society. He's tired of all of it, and he's 100 percent right to be.

http://www.sbnation....oys-jerry-jones
-- -

#7 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

College football is the opiate of America

"I grew up in a southern family where college football was god, but after attending college myself and seeing first hand and attending a few classes with the "special admin" football squad and basketball squads I soon realized that there presence on a college campus was an insult to me and my hard work to get to this place. Is a college an institution of higher learning or it is a training facility for professional sports?"

'Opiate of America' is a courageous ---no-holds-barred look at the truth of the THUG WORLD of college football. I am a big SEC football fan ---but I now look at the game in an entirely different perspective!

One of the reasons college costs have become ruinous to most American students is that they are supporting a huge parasitical obscenity - the collegiate sports program.

"One time our professor had us swap test papers and score them. I got the paper from the student next to me who was an outstanding football player but could only spell his own name correctly. A 20 year old college freshman whose test paper looked like it was written by a second grader. I discovered this guy could not spell, and had no clue about simple grammar or punctuation. But he could sure play ball. His major, physical education, surprise surprise!!"

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B009G85P5C/

Edited by stocks, 11 November 2015 - 08:54 AM.

-- -

#8 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:41 AM

College football is the opiate of America

'Opiate of America' is a courageous ---no-holds-barred look at the truth of the THUG WORLD of college football. I am a big SEC football fan ---but I now look at the game in an entirely different perspective!

U. of Missouri Football Squad Are Moral Paragons in the Fight Against Racism;

in the Fight Against "Rapism," Not So Much

With the U. of Missouri football team and coach overthrowing the University’s president for insufficient racial hysteria, it’s worth taking a look at the Missouri athletic program’s moral bonafides.

Missouri had the second-highest number of alleged sexual assaults in an ESPN study.

Missouri had 63 criminal cases involving 46 athletes during the five-year time period. Twelve athletes were involved in more than one incident and Missouri had the second-highest number of allegations of sexual assault, violence against women, and harassment. Florida State had the most.

In several of the Missouri cases, victims declined prosecution because of the suspect’s status as an athlete and/or because they feared unwanted publicity and harassment from fans.

http://espn.go.com/b...in-sex-assaults
-- -

#9 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

Charles Barkley:

ESPN is “framing the narrative” of Super Bowl 50 into “black versus white, good versus evil” since the matchup’s starting quarterbacks are Peyton Manning and Cam Newton.

“ESPN has already started their crap about black versus white, good versus evil and I know a lot of those fools over there got radio talk shows,” he said. “It really annoys the hell out of me.

We really just can’t appreciate the greatness of Peyton [Manning]. And clearly, Cam is on the track to become one of the greatest players ever. You can already see them framing the narrative ‘black versus white, good versus evil.'”

http://www.breitbart...te-race-battle/

-- -

#10 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

Sports fans were crazed in ancient Rome, just like today

If human folly has remained much the same and taken a similar form over two millennia, then one finds it easier to accept it just as is, as inevitable, and to feel no duty to reform or enlighten it.

It amazes me that thousands and thousands of grown men should be like children, wanting to look over and over again at horses running and men standing on chariots. If it were the speed of the horses or the skill of the drivers that attracted them, there would be some sense in it—but in fact it is simply the colour. That is what they support and what fascinates them.

Suppose half way through the race the drivers were to change their colours, then the supporters’ backing would change too and in a second they would abandon the drivers and horses whose names they shout as they recognize them from afar. Such is the power of a single worthless shirt.

http://takimag.com/a...t#axzz4Eb4ye0MG

-- -