Our destructive obsession with sports

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:04 AM

Ex-Baylor football coach Art Briles and other former athletic officials tried to keep misconduct by football players hidden by creating a "see no-evil, report no-evil system," 

a Baylor sexual assault survivor sued the school, alleging that 31 football players committed at least 52 acts of rape between 2011 and 2014, an estimate that far exceeded what regents told The Wall Street Journal in October. 

Regents said that 19 football players had been accused of sexual or physical assault, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011. 

http://www.dallasnew...rt-record-shows

-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#22 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

The Rottenness of the Olympics

The whole thing seems just joyless. An evil mix of external activity which looks colorful and fun- and a disturbing kind of inner emptiness. The human body deployed with great focus and efficiency, toward an empty end. A self-glorification that is at the same time very debasing to human nature.

Leni Riefenstahl set the style of all subsequent Olympics with her 1936 film, Olympia: The apotheosis of athleticism combined with neo-pagan spiritualized materialism. What recent events have added is a heavy emphasis on multi-culturalism and a creepy obsession with sex

It is an utter distortion of the traditional values of a country, rebranding it as a brave new world of multicultural diversity with any depth or true patriotic feeling completely expunged. 

Don't the Olympics now represent the excessive pursuit of physical as opposed to moral excellence and the deforming of nature by the absurd amount of training undertaken by the athletes in their lust for victory. The spirit of amateurism is well and truly dead. 

Rio 2016's decaying legacy as millions are spent to 'preserve' decrepit stadiums while hero athletes remain unpaid and the city itself is BANKRUPT
  • It's been a year since Rio stunned the world by holding a successful Olympic Games despite planning issues
  • But political scandals involving stolen public money have since plunged the country's economy into chaos
  • The city declared itself bankrupt after the Game and hospitals and schools have had to bear the brunt of cuts

http://www.dailymail...ing-legacy.html

-- -
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#23 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:58 AM

Colin Kaepernick 

President Obama said Monday that Colin Kaepernick, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback, is “exercising his constitutional right” by refusing to stand during the national anthem

NFL gleefully commits suicide 

The Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens are in England today for a game in London.  When the U.S. National Anthem was played both teams disrespected the USA and yet stood up for the U.K National Anthem ‘God Save The Queen’.   Think about that. 

The same people who said President Trump would never become president are now on TV saying Trump picked the wrong issue, the wrong fight. Watch what happens next. 

https://theconservat...save-the-queen/

-- -

#24 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

Colin Kaepernick 

President Obama said Monday that Colin Kaepernick, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback, is “exercising his constitutional right” by refusing to stand during the national anthem

The Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens are in England today for a game in London.  When the U.S. National Anthem was played both teams disrespected the USA and yet stood up for the U.K National Anthem ‘God Save The Queen’.   Think about that. 

The same people who said President Trump would never become president are now on TV saying Trump picked the wrong issue, the wrong fight. Watch what happens next. 

https://theconservat...save-the-queen/

Of course, he's just being his usual racist self but other than that:

The NFL Owns A Day Of The Week

I'd like to see Colin Kaepernick urge a complete black-player boycott of the Alabama Crimson Tide.  Those players don't need to play for that team to get into the NFL. If he could pull that boycott off, we'd get to see if the plantation foreman who coaches that team for $11m a year could more than one game with only the white boys.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#25 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Tom Brady Throws The Long Ball Against Trump

Tom Brady joined dozens of other NFL players Monday by speaking out against President Donald Trump’s “divisive” criticism of players who choose to kneel during the national anthem in protest of police brutality and systemic racism.

The New England Patriots quarterback, who Trump has described as a “good friend,” said he “certainly” disagrees with the president’s recent comments, in which Trump called for NFL team owners to fire protesting players during a Friday rally in Alabama.

“I thought it was just divisive,” Brady said during an interview with Boston radio WEEI’s “Kirk & Callahan” on Monday. “Like I said, I just want to support my teammates... I believe in bringing people together and respect and love and trust. Those are the values that my parents instilled in me and it’s how I try to live every day.”

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#26 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:49 AM

Jesse Jackson takes the bait, calls for NFL boycott 

Jackson said today that as long as the “boycott” of Kaepernick continues, he’ll be involved in responding with a boycott. It will continue until the owners meet and resolve the “crisis,” he said.   

“Every game they’ll be pickets … we will challenge people not to attend the games, not to watch them on television,” he said. 

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/09/25/rev-jesse-jackson-nlf-detroit/701806001/ 

Rush LImbaugh agrees to boycott: "I did not watch the National Football League yesterday, and it was the first time in 45 years"

-- -

#27 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

Proud to say the team I root for has stepped up for freedom of speech and for the peaceful protests of racial and economic inequalities in American society.

THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Trouble for Trump here is he is barking tweets against a sport that not only has the team work and team loyalty as tight and disciplined as any military unit but also against players who have gone to college and who are educated and articulate.

Trump will never read this (reportedly he has no attention span past 140 characters) but here is Doug Baldwin, Seahawk wide receiver and Stanford graduate, on who Trump really is:

"I’m not surprised by Trump’s comments. He has shown, since the beginning, his dehumanized nature. To think he would be anything different is to not know the reality of his presidency. He has surrounded himself with like minded people and has removed anyone who challenges him. He acts like a child craving attention and any attention will do.

Although these recent comments are not the worst things he’s said or done, I do believe that this will be a unifying moment for the sports world. And with as much influence as athletes have on the younger generation, this can be an opportunity for us to change the narrative of society and point to the president as a poor example of what you can become if you remain close minded, ignorant and uneducated.

For all the hate and negativity that has come from Trump’s presidency, I am still hopeful for justice and love to win out. As I continue to my efforts with the youth of our communities and engage with this hatred, I will resist the urge to return hate with hate and instead react in love and compassion for those who simply can not.

I encourage others to do the same.

Thank you,

Douglas Baldwin Jr"

Hopefully the youth of America will strive to emulate sports heroes like Baldwin and not the race baiting and braying coming from the "close minded, ignorant and uneducated" one in White House.

#28 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

havent watched any federali rigged crap for years cant stand any communist tv anyway, to see anything on

tv harks back to mind control chants that I learned to snap out of, any federali crap gives me uncomfortable mind control flashbacks.

imagine the hours and hours, weeks and weeks, of mind control plantation slaves lost instead of learning 

something of reality.

Cant say it helped me or not yet i am one of the last 3% of humans left surviving satanism for now, I rather learn about

reality on Sundays.

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan

#29 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

havent watched any federali rigged crap for years cant stand any communist tv anyway, to see anything on

tv harks back to mind control chants that I learned to snap out of, any federali crap gives me uncomfortable mind control flashbacks.

imagine the hours and hours, weeks and weeks, of mind control plantation slaves lost instead of learning 

something of reality.

Cant say it helped me or not yet i am one of the last 3% of humans left surviving satanism for now, I rather learn about

reality on Sundays.

laugh.png

#30 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

NFL Protest is another Middle Class vs Ruling Class issue 

Ruling Class = NFL Billionaires and Millionaires 

National Survey: Americans Agree with Trump on National Anthem     

Q7: Last week, Donald Trump said NFL players should stand and be respectful during the national anthem. Do you think NFL players should stand and be respectful during the national anthem?

Yes: 64% (Middle Class)
No: 25%   (Ruling Class)
Unsure: 11% 

Q8: On Sunday, a number of NFL players knelt during the national anthem in protest of Donald Trump’s statements, including players from your favorite team. Does this make you more likely or less likely to watch your favorite team’s games in the future?

More likely: 30%
Less likely: 50%
No difference: 20%

http://remingtonresearchgroup.com/

-- -