Trend Follower John Henry Boston Red Sox MIchael Covel Trend Following Turtles

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Alton

Alton

• TT Member+
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

I'd heard the name John W. Henry before, but Michael Covel's Trend Following (2009) widened my eyes and expanded my horizons.  Henry was a farm boy who formally got into commodities trading in the early 80's.  Covel's table (p46) shows that between 1984 and 2003, Henry garnered a return of 29.14% compounded annually while the S&P gained 10.11% annually.  Pretty good for the S&P, but astounding for John W. Henry.  He now is retired from active trading, but is owner of the Boston Red Sox and the Boston Globe, and has interests in other sports areas as well.

But this post isn't really about John Henry.  It's about Michael W. Covel's Revised and Expanded Trend Following (2017).  I have no personal or professional connection to Covel, but I did draw considerable inspiration from reading the earlier edition.  John Henry's story is one of ten accounts, but the book goes far beyond laudatory tales of great traders.  Check out the table of contents.  I've recently preordered the 5th edition of Trend Following (2017).  It's published by Wiley and Sons, and is available from them, as well as other sellers.  The work has been expanded from 437 to 688 pages, so I'm anticipating new levels of inspiration and ideas.

The link to Michael Covel's twitter feed is: https://twitter.com/Covel
You can find the book on your own. wink.png

As always, good trading.
Alton