Gold Miners and the stock Market

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:48 PM

If "they" keep the stock market from CRASHING then the gold miner bull is going to run a long time. Years. I'll keep an eye and I am not worried about a crash occurring any day now so miner bull should remain intact for at least months. As always, you must watch and adjust course. 

GDXJ was up an amazing 5.92% ,  yep in one day. 11.5% for the week so far and I think it's up about 65% since my call in June

Edited by skott, 18 July 2019 - 07:46 PM.

#2 tradesurfer

tradesurfer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

Well the IWM looks to be about the same juncture right now as early September 2008

I think there is still a risk that the gold miners could get slammed down as the regular stock market tanks going into September 2019

tough call here...  

but it has been clear that the miners and stock market seem to need to move in the same direction, if regular stock market tanks which it looks like it is about to based on IWM similarity pattern, then it might be a wild one last shakeout in the miners

see:

https://www.thetechn...is-scary-close/

Edited by tradesurfer, 18 July 2019 - 07:05 PM.

#3 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

oh, I agree. I think I have laid out here before that we can have a very large rally, a severe shakeout of all assets and then the miners recover and go to the moon. No way to know for sure.  At some point it just becomes all about trade/risk management.

#4 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

I have limit order myself on GDX...   I have made 30% in the last couple months...  Don't want to risk it especially since black gold is not doing so well..

Barry

#5 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

While today's reversal in Gold might look a little bearish it might not be. It might be bullish. I'm staying long everything regardless and since I'm on margin and been on it awhile I'm not able to do much in and out trading for now. If it does resolve bullish next week I'll draw a pic and explain why if someone asks

#6 risk_management

risk_management

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

oh, I agree. I think I have laid out here before that we can have a very large rally, a severe shakeout of all assets and then the miners recover and go to the moon. No way to know for sure.  At some point it just becomes all about trade/risk management.

That seems like a very feasible scenario if you ask me. Maybe it's different this time but take a look how miners act just prior and around the first fed cut. Nordea folks have a study but I am sure one can come up with their own with little bit of effort.

#7 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

can you give me the gist of it? I really am too busy with so many things that alot of what I do is not extremely systematic. I could probably do even better if  I tracked those kinds of things. I usually hear about when fed meeting is occuring from someone mentioning it somewhere. I do enjoy trading and investing for the most part but unless someone is able to master it quickly I don't recommend it to people. It's consumed a large chunk of my life but at this point....  lets say, I've made alot of progress so it's hard to quit. Finanacially it been very rewarding. At this point I think more of being able to trade when I"m a little older and just give the ;money away to people and God's work and expecially to try and restore the Catholic Church to Orthodoxy.

#8 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

so the reversal in gold was not bearish, like I said. Be long and strong.