BIG MOVE to breakout of 3-week range

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#11 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:30 PM

I remind you of this point as investors are chasing markets due to Fed liquidity, but as we saw in early March, the Fed’s “invisible hand” is not infallible.

The risk/reward ranges remain unchanged for the week as the market didn’t change much.

SP500-Chart2-042420.png

“Friday’s close brings the 61.8% retracement level AND the 200-dma into focus as the next resistance levels. The upside in the market remains limited to 4.5% to 7% currently. (This is certainly nothing to sneeze at, considering such would be regarded as a decent year’s worth of returns. That just shows how skewed things are currently.)

The downside risk ranges are a bit more disappointing.

• -4.7% to the previous 50% retracement level:  risk/reward equally balanced.
  • -12.5% to the previous higher low: risk/reward is mildly out of favor.
  • -20.5% to the March 23rd low: risk/reward extremely out of favor.

From an optimistic view, a reopening of the economy, a virus vaccine, and an immediate return to low single-digit unemployment rates would greatly expand the bullish ranges for the market.

However, even a cursory review of the data suggests a more “realistic” view. The economic damage is going to be with us for a while. Until earnings estimates are revised substantially lower to reflect the ‘actual economy,’ I have to presume the relevant risks outweigh the current reward.”

We continue to remain long our reduced equity exposure and have been buying undervalued opportunities over the last few weeks. However, we are also balancing that equity exposure with offsetting hedges and a larger than average level of cash. We also have been increasing our duration in our bond portfolios as well as interest rates will continue to head toward ZERO this summer.

Just remember, when the market does bottom, there will be no one wanting to “buy.” 

We aren’t there yet. 
https://realinvestme...ver-full-report

#12 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 05:27 PM

watching the Sunday evening open...may trade but prefer not to ,,,unless market seduces me i

may open ES LONG, at least one lot, and possibly another with BUY LIMIT order, also add to short june crude

===

END OF LAST WEEK:

added 4 SPY PUTS , total 32

Closed 2 JUNE CRUDE

ES FLAT, will but one ES LONG at around 2818-21 or lower

LONG 2 SEP CRUDE/SHORT 1 JUNE CRUDE

#13 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

long es 2814.5

#14 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 08:38 PM

closed ES LONG at 2830.75

Added one JUNE CRUDE SHORT

Going to bed

#15 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 08:39 PM

JUNE CRUDE short 16.48

#16 robo

robo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:26 PM

LOL.....  Would it ever pass?   

Cohodes: Pump-And-Dump Stock Trading Needs New Rules For The Digital Age

The fairness of capital markets is under threat due to the rise of digital media.

We live in an era where some stock promoters and short sellers open large positions prior to publishing market-moving information about a company, and rapidly close those positions after inducing a buying or selling frenzy.

Whipping up hype and hysteria is an easy way to make quick, riskless profit. In my view, it is also wrong. It goes against the spirit of our laws, and it is bad public policy. Whether you own shares or are betting against a company, I believe it is misleading to tell investors that you have a specific view on a company and then profit from a trade in the opposite direction.

It is time for Congress to enact a ten-day minimum holding period that would apply to any stock promoter or short seller who opens a large position and disseminates market-moving information, whether by publishing a report, going on media outlets such as CNBC, Fox or Bloomberg, speaking at conferences or posting on social media.

https://www.zerohedg...les-digital-age

Edited by robo, 27 April 2020 - 01:27 PM.

“There is only one side to the stock market; and it is not the bull side or the bear side, but the right side”   Jesse L. Livermore

#17 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:32 PM

LOL..... Would it ever pass?

Yes, in a nano second when AOC generation takes over.

#18 robo

robo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 02:22 PM

LOL..... Would it ever pass?

Yes, in a nano second when AOC generation takes over.

And they will probably tax all trades too.....

IWM made A nice move above the 50 MA today. Break out or fake out?   It doesn't matter since the trend remains up for my trading system.....  Some stops were probably hit for shorts today

I remain long  IWM, VXF and TEX....

https://stockcharts....904&a=740060096

https://stockcharts....709&a=736087073

Edited by robo, 27 April 2020 - 02:31 PM.

“There is only one side to the stock market; and it is not the bull side or the bear side, but the right side”   Jesse L. Livermore

#19 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 02:55 PM

And that will be the end of the market for sure lol!!  

#20 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

At the end of the day:

LONG one ES 2854.5

NET short 2 crude

39 SPY PUTS

really wild oil market

don't think I can focus for more than 8 hours per day in the markets when trading 3 instruments