Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:53 AM

https://www.cdc.gov/...=article_inline

#2 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:07 AM

But Dr Fauci said covid is not the same as Flu!

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 Rich C

Rich C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:36 AM

In 1968 I was in high school, and the schools were never closed that year, or any other year of my 16 years of primary, secondary or university attendance.

That is why it is obvious that this is not like the flu, it is much worse.

COVID19 has killed over 60,000 people in the US in the two months since the first death.  And that is while 70% of the US population has been under stay at home orders.  You can't just look at the deaths and say they are roughly the same, you have to consider the situation under which those deaths occurred.

How many do you think would have died from COVID19 if there had been no stay at home orders, which would have been analogous to the 1968 flu?

Blogging at http://RichInvesting.wordpress.com

My swing trades typically last a couple of weeks to a couple of months. 

#4 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

Rich C:

Since you are worried about deaths, we kill 40,000 Americans every year, and 100,000 severely injured on American roads,

so why not reduce speed limits to 25 mph? That will drastically reduce road fatalities which are mostly people in their prime.

88% of people who died from covid-19 had 2 or more comrbidities and were going to die in near future anyways.

So in 5 years 200,000 Americans killed on roads no problem, no need to do anything.

But covid-19 shows up and killing extremely few people under age 50 is a huge problem, and we must kill the economy!

Edited by pdx5, 02 May 2020 - 12:21 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#5 Rich C

Rich C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:23 PM

"So in 5 years 200,000 Americans killed on roads no problem, no need to do anything."

That is a startlingly false statement.  We have been working on auto safety diligently since the 1950's, and with very good results.  We required seat belts, then we added shoulder belts.  We've added crumple zones to absorb shock better.  We redesigned dash boards to eliminate sharp objects that could puncture people on impact and we added padding to the dashboard as well.  We added air bags to absorb impact.  We have redesigned roadways, in particular interstate highways, to improve the safety of merging into moving lanes of traffic.  Both the cars and the roadways are better.  We know that most auto fatalities involve alcohol or other drug impairment.  All states have toughened laws against driving under the influence.

If you go back to 1950, there were 7.24 deaths per billion vehicle miles traveled.  In 2018, there were 1.13 deaths per billion vehicle miles traveled.  That is an 85% decrease in the number of deaths per billion vehicle miles. 

https://en.wikipedia...in_U.S._by_year

Currently the main causes of auto fatalities are distracted driving, drunk driving and speeding.  Now its all up to the driver, because we have worked on it for decades and made great progress on improving cars and roadways.

When you see a problem like auto fatalities, there is seldom just one thing that can be done to improve it.

So, why did the original poster need to cherry pick his data, to one of the worst flu epidemics in the US?  Of course the 1918 flu was the worst.

CDC estimated 34,000 deaths from influenza in the 2018-2019 flu season, which runs about 6 months.  People were freely moving around the society.  COVID19 has killed 62,000 in two months with 70% of the population under stay at home orders.  People are still dying at a rate of 2,000 per day in the US, the COVID19 numbers are continuing, while the flu is winding down for its season.

How many more people would have died if there had not been any stay at home orders, or social distancing rules?

#6 typicalbear

typicalbear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:33 PM

Rich C:

Since you are worried about deaths, we kill 40,000 Americans every year, and 100,000 severely injured on American roads,

so why not reduce speed limits to 25 mph? That will drastically reduce road fatalities which are mostly people in their prime.

88% of people who died from covid-19 had 2 or more comrbidities and were going to die in near future anyways.

So in 5 years 200,000 Americans killed on roads no problem, no need to do anything.

But covid-19 shows up and killing extremely few people under age 50 is a huge problem, and we must kill the economy!

The driver analogy is non-comparable.  With the virus, their main concern was over crowding hospitals and running out of ICU's    They had to slow the rate of infection.  The meat packing plants are a good example of running without concession - and now they're closed.

#7 .Blizzard

.Blizzard

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

In 1968 I was in high school, and the schools were never closed that year, or any other year of my 16 years of primary, secondary or university attendance.

COVID19 has killed over 60,000 people in the US in the two months since the first death.  And that is while 70% of the US population has been under stay at home orders.  You can't just look at the deaths and say they are roughly the same, you have to consider the situation under which those deaths occurred.

How many do you think would have died from COVID19 if there had been no stay at home orders, which would have been analogous to the 1968 flu?

https://www.cdc.gov/...orts/index.html

Each year, at least 1.7 million adults in America develop sepsis.

Nearly 270,000 Americans die as a result of sepsis.

1 in 3 patients who die in a hospital have sepsis.

#8 Rich C

Rich C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:11 PM

https://www.cdc.gov/...orts/index.html

Each year, at least 1.7 million adults in America develop sepsis.

Nearly 270,000 Americans die as a result of sepsis.

1 in 3 patients who die in a hospital have sepsis.

What solution do you propose?  What do you believe we should be doing that we are not doing?  To date there has been NO treatment and NO vaccine for COVID19.  1 million confirmed infections in the US, 60,000+ deaths, unless I miss my guess, that is a 6% mortality rate.  And it spreads much more easily than flu.  The point of the stay at home orders was to not overrun the ICU's or the hospital staff (which in the hot spots, those folks are near the breaking point, mentally more than physically), and to give us time to try and identify treatments and a vaccine.  The FDA has just given emergency approval to Remdesivir, which is an arrow in the quiver, but not the silver bullet cure it treatment.  It appears the COVID19 plan is working, we have not overrun the ICU in NYC, and we've identified a first treatment, proving we can affect the virus.

But, back to sepsis, what do you propose, and what do you think we should be doing that we are not doing?  By the way, sepsis in not contagious, so what does it have to do with COVID19?

Edited by Rich C, 02 May 2020 - 04:13 PM.

#9 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:22 PM

Rich C--you need to keep up with news.

In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes.

https://www.nsc.org/...ality-estimates

So I said 40,000 on AVERAGE. You called it a falsehood? OKAY!!!

#10 Rich C

Rich C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:09 PM

Rich C--you need to keep up with news.

In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes.

https://www.nsc.org/...ality-estimates

So I said 40,000 on AVERAGE. You called it a falsehood? OKAY!!!

To be precise, your statement had two parts, let me show you: "So in 5 years 200,000 Americans killed on roads no problem, no need to do anything."

The part that is flippantly wrong is not the number of deaths, it is the part that states no need to do anything.

The statement is wrong or false, but it is not correct.

No person in there right mind would accept that there are on average 40,000 deaths per year from auto fatalities, and there is no need to do anything.  That is stupid.

I pointed out that for decades the US HAS been doing a lot, improving highway design, and car safety itself.  And I proved we are making progress, reducing the number of fatalities per billion miles driven by 85% since 1950.

I also showed the leading causes of auto fatalities now lie in the human realm, driving while distracted such as texting, drunk driving, and speeding.  All the causes are human.  Now it is up to the judges to stiffen sentences and say this behavior is unacceptable, especially when it takes a human life.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving has had a significant impact on the judicial system, strengthening laws and penalties against drunk driving and repeat DUI offenders.  That has helped bring down the death toll, but i hear judges don't always impose the penalties they should, then you hear of a two or three time DUI offender getting drunk and killing someone, when he should have been taken off the road a long time ago.

Clearly there is more to do.  And, I have proven that your statement is wrong.

Edited by Rich C, 02 May 2020 - 10:19 PM.