Who is Buying this Market?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:50 PM

To summarize: institutions selling, machines flat, hedge funds more bearish... but volumes and liquidity down, buybacks surging (something we touched upon more last week), shorts crushed and forced to cover and - drumroll - retail investors flooding the market and "making a killing" at least according to Robin Hood data which as Michael Krause notes, is a good proxy for what all retail US stock traders are doing.

https://www.zerohedg...re-and-who-isnt

#2 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

the overall crowd is bearish, the traders are short and trapped, simple. It still goes higher IMO, even though we are at the .618 retrace in SPX. The SPX 200d MA of 3000 seems to be the target.

#3 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:12 PM

People whose CD's and Bonds have just  matured, then they look at the renewal interest rate, and buy stocks.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#4 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 18,000 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

The market was not bought up, almost all of the recent gains are from overnight gap-ups on the index futures. As a matter of fact the SPX AD line is in ST down trend and money flow is negative...........

Edited by redfoliage2, 10 May 2020 - 09:25 PM.

#5 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

People whose CD's and Bonds have just  matured, then they look at the renewal interest rate, and buy stocks.

People who put their $ into CD don't buy stocks.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#6 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:55 AM

Shorts don't seem to be covering...

Cumulative SH Assets05-08-20.gif

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#7 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:21 AM

Not good, but kind of expected.

https://invst.ly/qrdyx

Also, the position polls have been a fade about 5 days in a row, some longs went back on Friday as they threw in the towel, and here we are down. I guess they are better in bull markets.

Edited by CLK, 11 May 2020 - 08:23 AM.

#8 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:13 AM

The FOMO in NQ must be stratospheric. You can buy it, not me. I am going to wait for it to correct big time. There are way to many preaching that this market can only go higher to all time highs yesterday.

#9 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:14 AM

Shorts don't seem to be covering...

Mark, the chart showing those SH shorts you have been posting has been right on, and still extreme.

#10 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

People who put their $ into CD don't buy stocks.

You are correct, I meant only bonds, especially Treasury bonds.

I understand total money in bond market is more than stock market, or at least it used to be.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule