Photo

Futures Slide After Senators Propose Legislation To Sanction China For Coronavirus Outbreak

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

Just hours after futures tumbled following a report that Republican Senator Graham and GOP Senators have introduced a bill sanctioning China for human rights abuses and over its treatment of Uighurs, moments ago futures took another leg lower on the back of an AFP report that Republican senators proposed legislation that would empower President Donald Trump to slap sanctions on China if Beijing does not give a "full accounting" for the coronavirus outbreak.

In other words, unless there was something lost in translation, Trump will have a carte blanche to sanction China on two account: the Uighurs and Beijing's secrecy over the origin of the coronavirus pandemic.

"The Chinese Communist Party must be held accountable for the detrimental role they played in this pandemic," said Senator Jim Inhofe, one of the sponsors of the "COVID-19 Accountability Act", adding that China's "outright deception of the origin and spread of the virus cost the world valuable time and lives as it began to spread."

The legislation will give Trump 60 days to certify to Congress that China has provided a full accounting on the COVID-19 outbreak to an investigation that could be led by the United States and its allies, or a United Nations body like the World Health Organization. Of course, China has repeatedly refused to allow any such "accounting" to the WHO; one can imagine how it will respond when a US body demands similar "accounting."

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#2 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:44 PM

This is a twofer. Punish China for covid-19 fiasco and bring us a buying opportunity.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 tradesurfer

tradesurfer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:54 PM

Please tell me we are not going to war over this...

#4 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:01 PM

First day Fed buying bond ETF's. This was news driven, internals did not cause this.

#5 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:27 PM

I would not worry. Trump has been anti-war in middle-east since Bush-41 invaded Iraq.

#6 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:29 PM

First day Fed buying bond ETF's. This was news driven, internals did not cause this.

Every major move since covid-19 reared it's ugly head has been news driven. And looks like it will remain that way through August.

#7 orange

orange

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:08 AM

We already have a trade war which bankrupted farmers. Americans are paying deeply financially for the tariffs. China is still stealing intellectual property.

"When your position is underwater, average down" - Professional Trader

#8 .Blizzard

.Blizzard

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:20 AM

Moeghea Orange

#9 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:33 AM

We already have a trade war which bankrupted farmers. Americans are paying deeply financially for the tariffs. China is still stealing intellectual property.

China has been stealing American wealth since Reagan helped them join WTO. 

You can not reverse 3 or 4 decades ingrained practices in a short time by a president who was handicapped for 3 years by the Russia collusion hoax. Congress has spent all their time in blocking Trump on China. I can't think of one democrat proposal which would help US businesses, especially the small and mid-sized ones.

#10 trioderob

trioderob

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

this is silly .... while it is true there was an initial coverup by China, they did eventually come out waving their arms and doing backflips stating :

"folks - we have a really bad virus that's brand new - we are going into total lockdown on Wuhan  -watch us build emergency hospitals as this is going to be really bad "  

and what did the USA do ? ................ we sat on ours hands