Do ya need to be a chart genius?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

With all kinds of fancy lines and  stuff. Remember yesterday I said I was watching the $VIX. That's why I went short. Yesterday the market gapped up and the bulls were all giddy, The $vix retreated below its 200 day MA,  then closed back above the 200 with a long tailed hammer. On a 400 point up day, I knew what was coming next.  http://schrts.co/UeXBPded

#2 Waver

Waver

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:56 PM

Good call!

#3 Darris

Darris

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

Nice job!!  RUT number of stocks over 50 day MA confirmed a sell, or watch very closely today, as it went below 50%.

#4 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

The market gains yesterday were out of line.

The Dow gained 459.67 points, or 1.8%, to 26,287.03 on Monday, while the S&P 500 rose 1.6% to 3179.72, and the Nasdaq Composite climbed 2.2% to 10433.65, a new record high.

Considering SP500 gains about 7% per year very long term, 1.8% gain yesterday is equivalent to 3 months worth of average gain in one day! Laughable even in parabolic markets.

Short term/day traders should go short the next day when such outsized moves occur. Today SP500 lost 1.08%, a little steeper than 50% normal drop of 0.9%, but not by much. If any long term traders expect market to gain 1%+ day after day should stop smoking ganja.

I see nothing out of the ordinary in market action today, since SP500 was up 5 days in a row, which by itself was unusual. Everybody here knows markets seldom move in a straight line.

Edited by pdx5, 07 July 2020 - 05:19 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#5 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:01 PM

With all kinds of fancy lines and  stuff. Remember yesterday I said I was watching the $VIX. That's why I went short. Yesterday the market gapped up and the bulls were all giddy, The $vix retreated below its 200 day MA,  then closed back above the 200 with a long tailed hammer. On a 400 point up day, I knew what was coming next.  http://schrts.co/UeXBPded

My guess is you think this is the start of a bigger move down and remain short for that.

#6 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:05 PM

The Dow gained 459.67 points, or 1.8%, to 26,287.03 on Monday, while the S&P 500 rose 1.6% to 3179.72, and the Nasdaq Composite climbed 2.2% to 10433.65, a new record high.

Considering SP500 gains about 7% per year very long term, 1.8% gain yesterday is equivalent to 3 months worth of average gain in one day! Laughable even in parabolic markets.

Short term/day traders should go short the next day when such outsized moves occur. Today SP500 lost 1.08%, a little steeper than 50% normal drop of 0.9%, but not by much. If any long term traders expect market to gain 1%+ day after day should stop smoking ganja.

I see nothing out of the ordinary in market action today, since SP500 was up 5 days in a row, which by itself was unusual. Everybody here knows markets seldom move in a straight line.

Leaving the May consolidation there were 11 days up with only one small down doji into the top.

A 1.8% day out of a month long consolidation is not worth fading.

Daily MACD just crossed, that was the retest, going higher now.

Edited by CLK, 07 July 2020 - 06:06 PM.

#7 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,193 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:34 PM

VXN has a signal on it for a high in early August and vxn spiked low last week earlier than vix. Silver also has a signal for a low in early August. 

"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#8 Darris

Darris

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:10 PM

In the last 25 years we have seen the SPX up 5 or more consecutive days 205 times, and a few days later the SPX was negative 71 times and the rest positive.  Basically no better than a random day in the stock market since most days are up 60% of the time anyway.  Context always wins out when you deep dive back tests.  Institutional investors have made the statement that they have been forced to re-long the market, and it is only a matter of time before they start shorting Volatility to enhance their yield further.  Nobody is going to be sending out quarterly reports with a big cash pile on the books.  No where else to go but FANGM stocks, and if earnings are bad, just buy more.

#9 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:02 AM

Darris, 

I hope the market (SP500) will be slightly higher next January 2021 than it is now.

That would reach my target and I will be getting off the rat race for good at age 80.

The election coming up is scaring me. May be market will not care who wins.

I see opinions all over the map on that issue.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#10 Darris

Darris

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

Here is the map.  Dex posted the same set up yesterday with his chart.  The weekly 10ema/50ema is basically the same thing as the 50 day and 200 day.  The 10e is well abv the 50 e right now, so as we approach spx 3250-3325 that would be the time to pull the trigger, and hopefully at the August monthly expiry the 21st.  Then just reload around Tgiving or 1st week of December.  50% profit in a year.  Thank J POW when you pay your capital gain tax bill in 2023.

JmzSYG.jpg