One story on the virus

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:45 AM

I can tell you about the family herd here in southern CA......not the 98 pound weaklings clinging to masks and other such current fantasies. It's a thundering herd of bison out on the open range.  Me 60 something, son mid 30s, and his kids 14 and 8. That's the herd.  First the kids.....closing the schools was the most egregious thing in the history of the world.  That was designed by cowards that know absolutely nothing.  These kids can literally run marathons with this virus in their system.  That is no joke, not even a hint of a joke.  I know more about cowards now than I ever did  before.

For the adults its a little more complicated.  Both of us knew we had gotten the virus back in the December January time frame but there was no testing going on.  It was about 2 solid weeks of suffering, not dying.  I thought if I could just get a little better, then I could die.....my best joke about it.  Ok.....then more recently this past week we both had to get tested for various reasons, I needed an unrelated medical procedure that I normally do twice a year......no test, no procedure.  And he was starting a new job.  So after just 3 days on the job he was feeling dragged down and went and got tested.  A few days later I got tested, and my results came back positive in 2 days, but I didn't start feeling it until the morning after the nose swab.....before the results came out.  And this time it felt like a hangover.  He was feeling the same, and his results came back positive a few days later.  Both of us feel like it's been a 36 hour hangover and then it's done, and we are now back to roaming around on the open range again.  Not even close to the first time around which was not the most fun I've ever had by far.  We both have to get retested again some time later this month.  

Think like the herd......that is the right mentality.  The book for dummies on the subject even says as much.  Go with the herd, or wait around and see if the dummies can come up with a vaccine without screwing it up.  And it can take multiple tries on fighting the virus to get the herd back to 100 percent. 

Edited by LMF, 11 July 2020 - 11:53 AM.

#2 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:07 PM

I can tell you about the family herd here in southern CA......not the 98 pound weaklings clinging to masks and other such current fantasies. It's a thundering herd of bison out on the open range.  Me 60 something, son mid 30s, and his kids 14 and 8. That's the herd.  First the kids.....closing the schools was the most egregious thing in the history of the world.  That was designed by cowards that know absolutely nothing.  These kids can literally run marathons with this virus in their system.  That is no joke, not even a hint of a joke.  I know more about cowards now than I ever did  before.

For the adults its a little more complicated.  Both of us knew we had gotten the virus back in the December January time frame but there was no testing going on.  It was about 2 solid weeks of suffering, not dying.  I thought if I could just get a little better, then I could die.....my best joke about it.  Ok.....then more recently this past week we both had to get tested for various reasons, I needed an unrelated medical procedure that I normally do twice a year......no test, no procedure.  And he was starting a new job.  So after just 3 days on the job he was feeling dragged down and went and got tested.  A few days later I got tested, and my results came back positive in 2 days, but I didn't start feeling it until the morning after the nose swab.....before the results came out.  And this time it felt like a hangover.  He was feeling the same, and his results came back positive a few days later.  Both of us feel like it's been a 36 hour hangover and then it's done, and we are now back to roaming around on the open range again.  Not even close to the first time around which was not the most fun I've ever had by far.  We both have to get retested again some time later this month.  

Think like the herd......that is the right mentality.  The book for dummies on the subject even says as much.  Go with the herd, or wait around and see if the dummies can come up with a vaccine without screwing it up.  And it can take multiple tries on fighting the virus to get the herd back to 100 percent. 

I'm predicting the future here ... in a few years scientists will say we over reacted.  That many had the virus with little effect on them.  

Also, information will come out that the detrimental effects of the lock down and other guidelines did more damage then the virus.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#3 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:35 PM

Some of the numbers I've seen so far indicate as many as 2 million small businesses have been vaporized so far, directly because of the economic shutdown. And that may end up being conservative by the end of it.  This is the proof that everybody manages the risk of something bad happening differently. It reflects in their business whether large or small, and everything else they do all day long.  Many were stuck in the shutdown mode when they had spent perhaps a decade getting the business running profitably.  And then they were given no choice about how to deal with the virus situation.    

When we were kids growing up and we kept complaining we were bored on the weekends......I remember my dad quite often saying, why don't you guys go play on the freeway or something.  I was a joke of course and we never did it.  But it was kind of amusing hearing it over and over.  Even as kids we could figure out how to manage risk I think.....

Edited by LMF, 11 July 2020 - 01:36 PM.

#4 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

Some of the numbers I've seen so far indicate as many as 2 million small businesses have been vaporized so far, directly because of the economic shutdown. And that may end up being conservative by the end of it.  This is the proof that everybody manages the risk of something bad happening differently. It reflects in their business whether large or small, and everything else they do all day long.  Many were stuck in the shutdown mode when they had spent perhaps a decade getting the business running profitably.  And then they were given no choice about how to deal with the virus situation.    

When we were kids growing up and we kept complaining we were bored on the weekends......I remember my dad quite often saying, why don't you guys go play on the freeway or something.  I was a joke of course and we never did it.  But it was kind of amusing hearing it over and over.  Even as kids we could figure out how to manage risk I think.....

The virus sped up robotics and ai taking over jobs.

Think of a job from construction to restaurant server and you will find a robot in development ... search youtube ... I saw one laying bricks.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#5 risktaker

risktaker

• Traders-Talk User
  • 434 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:40 PM

Kids are mega virus spreaders. It is impossible to contain the kids if they have the coronavirus. Especially if they do not get sick from it. They will wantonly distribute the virus to people they have remote contact with.

#6 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:49 PM

are you at Pendleton? I remember seeing them at Casey Springs. They are huge !

#7 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

I grew up in Portland OR before moving to CA 1980 to dry out from the 365 day rainy season after the St. Helens volcano went off. But we spent a lot of time on family vacations in eastern OR. Portland is an absolute cesspool these days......

#8 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:59 PM

Having spent first 20 years of my life in virus infested India (population density 12 times USA), I have seen viruses come and viruses go. I came down with small pox virus at age 8.. It was a serious infectious disease caused by the variola virus. It was contagious—meaning, it spread from one person to another. People who had smallpox had a fever and a distinctive, progressive skin rash. Most people with smallpox recovered, but about 3 out of every 10 people with the disease died. Comparatively covid-19 is a pussy cat.

Imagine 30% mortality rate! Yet no one panicked. My mom nursed me back to health. She later told me I was hanging on to life by a thread with excruciatingly high fever and puss filled eruptions all over my 8 year old body. There was no shutdown, I was quarantined to my bedroom, and survived. I still have scars on my face after 72 years. Burned 80 candles this year and aiming for 100. The treadmill is a wonderful gadget. Mowed my entire lawn this morning with a push mower (not self-propelled) and it has been hot and humid in Florida in July. It was 80 degrees at 9 am when I mowed. Exercise is the best medicine!

Edited by pdx5, 11 July 2020 - 05:03 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#9 claire

claire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:51 PM

Having spent first 20 years of my life in virus infested India (population density 12 times USA), I have seen viruses come and viruses go. I came down with small pox virus at age 8.. It was a serious infectious disease caused by the variola virus. It was contagious—meaning, it spread from one person to another. People who had smallpox had a fever and a distinctive, progressive skin rash. Most people with smallpox recovered, but about 3 out of every 10 people with the disease died. Comparatively covid-19 is a pussy cat.

Imagine 30% mortality rate! Yet no one panicked. My mom nursed me back to health. She later told me I was hanging on to life by a thread with excruciatingly high fever and puss filled eruptions all over my 8 year old body. There was no shutdown, I was quarantined to my bedroom, and survived. I still have scars on my face after 72 years. Burned 80 candles this year and aiming for 100. The treadmill is a wonderful gadget. Mowed my entire lawn this morning with a push mower (not self-propelled) and it has been hot and humid in Florida in July. It was 80 degrees at 9 am when I mowed. Exercise is the best medicine!

Let me see if if I understand the lesson learned from your life experiences that you seem to believe should serve as an epidemiological model for action during a pandemic. 

You survived smallpox at age 8 and nobody was in a panic about it. You were probably exposed to C-19 on a cruise and may have acquired immunity. You stay fit and mow your lawn with a push mower. In another post, you recommended washing hands and not touching your face, but masks aren't necessary since you believe that touching contaminated surfaces is more infectious than aerosol particles, except if someone is coughing or sneezing, and then run away quickly.

You're healthy and have lived to 80, therefore, your conclusion is that our strategy for the nation should be to do nothing more than you do since that worked well for you. Right? 

#10 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:55 PM

Let me see if if I understand the lesson learned from your life experiences that you seem to believe should serve as an epidemiological model for action during a pandemic. 

You survived smallpox at age 8 and nobody was in a panic about it. You were probably exposed to C-19 on a cruise and may have acquired immunity. You stay fit and mow your lawn with a push mower. In another post, you recommended washing hands and not touching your face, but masks aren't necessary since you believe that touching contaminated surfaces is more infectious than aerosol particles, except if someone is coughing or sneezing, and then run away quickly.

You're healthy and have lived to 80, therefore, your conclusion is that our strategy for the nation should be to do nothing more than you do since that worked well for you. Right? 

Is his confirmation bias at its core any different then your 

Trump derangement syndrome

or that your only post about the virus?

confirmation bias
[confirmation bias]
NOUN
confirmation bias (noun)
  1. the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

17_16