Photo

Understanding The Apparent Mismatch Between Current Economic Conditions And The Financial System

SPX DOW QQQ ECONOMICS TECHNICAL ANALYSIS BREADTH TREASURY YIELDS EARNINGS DIVIDEND YIELD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the article and interesting charts.  Your argument boils down to "This time is truly different".

Some things to explain apparent disconnects that do not invoke paradigm shifts: 

1. Concentration: The US stock market has seen several time periods (particularly in the 1920s and 1960s) where the entire capitalization of the market was concentrated into a few stocks.  In fact, the top 5 stocks were worth well north of 20% in these earlier time periods.  Therefore, FAANGM dominance is not that unusual.

2. Valuations:  Right now, the valuation of the market ex-tech is quite reasonable and valuation excess is concentrated in XLK/XLC stocks and AMZN.  In the late twenties, the valuations of the industrials, banks and transports were quite reasonable on metrics such as P/E, P/B, P/S and the most valuation excess was in utility stocks. In fact, one can argue that AMZN, FB, GOOGL, even MSFT have unregulated utility-like characteristics.  This type of valuation excess in a particular sector has happened before.  Growth stocks have outperformed value stocks for significant periods of time prior to the 1940s. 

3. Innovation:  The new technologies/business concepts of the first quarter of the 20th century such as air travel, telecommunication, automobiles, electrification, mass production of chemicals, etc were arguably more significant quality-of-life enhancers than social media and video games.  On the other hand, semiconductor chips and software are definite productivity enhancers in the modern age.  Others such as e-commerce are conceptually similar to mail order catalogs of yesteryear.

To summarize, I agree there are indications of a secular shift.  But I would argue that this secular shift is merely "apparent", and not real. It is a convenient ruse to hide underlying phenomena such as economically inefficient credit creation, excessive leveraged speculation, technology-induced deflation, irresponsible fiat money creation, rentier capitalism, divergent economic class interests, etc that have all been seen in prior decades and centuries. 

Spot on! Blow up phase.

#12 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

I am not old enough to have traded during 1920's and 1930'

I began trading in 1060's, and all I remember is LEADERSHIP!

It was color TV for a while.

Then it was internet stocks for a while.

Then it was health care.

Then it was defense stocks during Iraq war.

Now it is on-line services stocks like Amazon, FB, Walmart etc.

Yes Walmart is now big on-line. I buy all my groceries and other stuff at Walmart on-line.

Yeah so all Bull markets ride on backs of "LEADER STOCKS" du jour. 

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SPX, DOW, QQQ, ECONOMICS, TECHNICAL ANALYSIS, BREADTH, TREASURY YIELDS, EARNINGS, DIVIDEND YIELD