question for options traders

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 traderx

traderx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:48 AM

I have been doing one options trade daily. Asking if if risk and risk  reward would be better by doing a couple DCA dollar cost averaging. Although, I do not want to sit by screen all day, and do not have a total algo automatic programmed system.

I have traded options off and on since 1964, so I am familiar  with a lot  about options and trading, but wanted some input from the options   traders I see here.

Thanks in advance

#2 gismeu

gismeu

• Traders-Talk User
  • 908 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:57 AM

I have been doing one options trade daily. Asking if if risk and risk  reward would be better by doing a couple DCA dollar cost averaging. Although, I do not want to sit by screen all day, and do not have a total algo automatic programmed system.

I have traded options off and on since 1964, so I am familiar  with a lot  about options and trading, but wanted some input from the options   traders I see here.

Thanks in advance

Don't really understand your question. Could you please give an example?

I sell mostly premium (4 to 6 weeks out) and do diagonals if I believe my forecast is good.

gis

If you can't buy Happiness, STEAL IT!

#3 traderx

traderx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

multiple  DCA Dollar cost averaging vs just one options sold per day

seems like DCA is safer but may be less total

Like DCA  but do not want to sit watching charts alldayt

These are weekly and daylys not monthlies.

#4 traderx

traderx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:54 AM

I guess you can not have your cake and eatit too!!!!

#5 gismeu

gismeu

• Traders-Talk User
  • 908 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:56 AM

I still don’t get it.
Can you please post a real trade?

gis
If you can't buy Happiness, STEAL IT!

#6 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

Best way to make money in options in my view is to sell them.  Been selling SP500 options for 35 years.  Current cycle, October 3600 futures options started out at $14, took profits already of $13 and sold the 2800 puts for $10, stop on of $8 now, 2700 puts for $6.00 but will add if the market moves down.  Current long hold on the SP500 futures from 3218, profit stop 3250.  Been an ok week but great almost 3 months lol!! 

#7 q4wer

q4wer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:22 PM

Best way to make money in options in my view is to sell them.  Been selling SP500 options for 35 years.  Current cycle, October 3600 futures options started out at $14, took profits already of $13 and sold the 2800 puts for $10, stop on of $8 now, 2700 puts for $6.00 but will add if the market moves down.  Current long hold on the SP500 futures from 3218, profit stop 3250.  Been an ok week but great almost 3 months lol!! 

So you are selling ES options , not SPX options, right?

#8 q4wer

q4wer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

do you sell ES spread options, or simply naked puts and naked calls.

#9 q4wer

q4wer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:24 PM

ES options,  supposed one has a 100 K account,   how many  ES PUT contracts   do you suggest?

#10 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:33 PM

Used to be the big contract but ES is so much easier now and more liquid.  It all depends on the size of your account and is more for you to determine as your the one taking the risk.  I always like to say make sure you can sleep at night without worrying and if your new to it for sure start small and let the profits build before you start adding to many.  Nice thing about using the futures options is its the same margin for both sides so cheaper. I generally always have some kind of protective buy on especially with puts unless I see a profit right away and then place stops.