DJIA Rising Wedge Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 11:07 AM

In my last post I blathered on about a potential rising wedge pattern in the DJIA daily chart.  On the 9th of December the DJIA very briefly broke the top of the pattern but returned to inside the fold before too much technical damage was done.  Again this morning the DJIA has broken out of the wedge this time the bottom.  Given these two excursions disrespecting the pattern it would appear to me that the time has now come for this pattern to, in a crude country expression, either crap or get off the pot.  By the end of today the DJIA should be planted firmly below the line, at most positive just readying a test of the bottom rising line early next week, or at worst sailing south.  If not, the pattern is probably a dud.  As I always say, time will tell.

Fc6JHBI.png

One other interesting point is that the focus of the triangle is roughly on December 24th which my preliminary calculations indicate may be a very strong risk window.  So even if this rising wedge pattern fails, it may yet still produce some useful fruit.

Regards,

Douglas

#2 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 12:36 PM

In my last post I blathered on about a potential rising wedge pattern in the DJIA daily chart.  On the 9th of December the DJIA very briefly broke the top of the pattern but returned to inside the fold before too much technical damage was done.  Again this morning the DJIA has broken out of the wedge this time the bottom.  Given these two excursions disrespecting the pattern it would appear to me that the time has now come for this pattern to, in a crude country expression, either crap or get off the pot.  By the end of today the DJIA should be planted firmly below the line, at most positive just readying a test of the bottom rising line early next week, or at worst sailing south.  If not, the pattern is probably a dud.  As I always say, time will tell.

Fc6JHBI.png

One other interesting point is that the focus of the triangle is roughly on December 24th which my preliminary calculations indicate may be a very strong risk window.  So even if this rising wedge pattern fails, it may yet still produce some useful fruit.

Regards,

Douglas

YM's touched their adaptive 20 ma, looking for it too turn up, same thing with NQ's, just bought a few minutes ago. (JMHO)

#3 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 01:56 PM

Fc6JHBI.png

Regards,

Douglas

YM's touched their adaptive 20 ma, looking for it too turn up, same thing with NQ's, just bought a few minutes ago. (JMHO)

CHOO!! CHOO!!

#4 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,961 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:56 PM

Fc6JHBI.png

Regards,

Douglas

what will happen from a rising wedge  https://www.siliconi...?msgid=33087095

#5 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 04:21 PM

Don, that DISNEY action is what I call a catapult (not sure about the proper name) and is definitely one of the possibilities.  At the close on Friday the DJIA has moved back inside the triangle with breaks in the lines on the 9th above and today below with no sharp action in either direction.  Volume also has continued to decline.  I would expect that volume will rise sharply on any real breakout/breakdown.  Given the hesitancy here, this joker of a pattern might just fizzle, disappointing both the bears and the bulls.  Time will tell.

Regards,

Douglas

Edited by Douglas, 11 December 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#6 gm_general

gm_general

• TT Member+
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:05 PM

Then there is negative MACD crossovers, Dow was first

#7 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:35 PM

Kind of hard to compare one company against 30 also,,,,little bit different...

#8 tradesurfer

tradesurfer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:41 PM

I think we topped out.

Today DJIA did a stick save and hammer candle...

but there were a bunch of hammer candles on February 19th 2020 too right before a melt down...

Everyone who wanted to buy has already bought in, the last buyer has already shown up at the door... now the decision is who will be able to get out the door first to LOCK IN PROFITS on this blistering rally before massive tax increases destroy portfolios.

#9 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 10:05 AM

I think we topped out.

Today DJIA did a stick save and hammer candle...

but there were a bunch of hammer candles on February 19th 2020 too right before a melt down...

Everyone who wanted to buy has already bought in, the last buyer has already shown up at the door... now the decision is who will be able to get out the door first to LOCK IN PROFITS on this blistering rally before massive tax increases destroy portfolios.

Fosback Absolute Breadth Ratio Says This Is Not A Top - Free Weekly Technical Analysis Chart - McClellan Financial (mcoscillator.com)

#10 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 12:59 PM

Fc6JHBI.png

Regards,

Douglas

what will happen from a rising wedge  https://www.siliconi...?msgid=33087095

LOL. this is a garbage stock. It belongs in the same category with DoorDash.

Edited by linrom1, 12 December 2020 - 01:00 PM.