A/D lines

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:44 AM

NYA and SPX A/D lines worthless for picking tops once again.

#2 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:19 AM

CLK, I don't understand your comment.  Divergence in the SPX A/D line that I follow nailed the top last week in the SPY as shown in the plot below.  What am I missing?  Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

BEEBIUI.png

Regards,

Douglas

#3 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

CLK, I don't understand your comment.  Divergence in the SPX A/D line that I follow nailed the top last week in the SPY as shown in the plot below.  What am I missing?  Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

BEEBIUI.png

Regards,

Douglas

Does that chart update end of day or real time?

#4 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 01:25 PM

CLK, I do my charts at the end of the day, so I'm not sure.  I believe that !ADLINESPX is updated during the day since it does not have "(EOD)" in its title line, but I'm not sure.  You can also recreate the advance/decline line by using $NYAD cumulative.  I know $NYAD is updated during the day, but I'm not sure if the cumulative calculation works with this non-end of day data.  Tomorrow, if I get time during the day, I'll try the !ADLINESPX and the $NYAD cumulative advance/decline line calculation just to see if either or both are done with intraday data or only the end of day data.  Interesting question.  Thanks for asking.  That's why I like coming to this web site, I constantly learn something new.

According to what I read on the web, what happens during the day doesn't matter anyway since all the real action is at night.  The chart below seems to say that one should just ignore the day time and become a vampire, night time trader.  

Q53wXWA.png

Regards,

Douglas

Edited by Douglas, 31 January 2021 - 01:31 PM.

#5 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

CLK, I just checked and !ADLINESPX appears to be end of the day only at www.stockcharts.com, but $NYAD cumulative shows intraday values for this Monday.  I will look again after the close to see how the values compare with the !ADLINESPX end of day value.  Hope this helps.

OVXkTbd.png

Regards,

Douglas

#6 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 06:30 PM

The plot below contains end of day !ADLINENYA and $NYAD cumulative plotted on top of each other.  As you can see they are identical.  If you look at the intraday plot in the note immediately above you can see the $NYAD cumulative was updated during the day, so to get an idea of how the advance/decline line, !ADLINENYA, is progressing during the day at www.stockcharts.com (delayed by 15 or 20 minutes, whatever their delay is) you can just use the $NYAD cumulative which updates during the day.    

tTxCdIn.png

Regards,

Douglas

#7 traderx

traderx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:40 AM

I am not clear how I can compare being in SPX during day to night. Are there any charts or places for historical charts?

Thanks in advance.

#8 traderx

traderx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:52 AM

In other words, wQ53wXWA.pnghere can i get current chart like this?

#9 traderx

traderx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

Looking for a current chart like above for previous chart?

#10 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

I don't know where to find a cumulative chart showing recent relative performance of the overnight S&P futures market, but you can see each day's behavior at finviz.com using their 5minute S&P chart as shown below.

DrrmSYq.png

Last night was a good time to be long and the party just keeps on rolling in the daylight hours.  JBTD.

Regards,

Douglas

Edited by Douglas, 02 February 2021 - 10:47 AM.