Decentralized PONZI: in the Danger Zone

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:08 PM

Hopefully, this latest stock bubble and what is also described as a "decentralized Ponzi" will be gently deflated without severe losses by the retail crowd and individual investors. The "too big to fail" will not fail - except in rare cases where one or two are sacrificed for the greater good - because they will be bailed out. 

Obviously, there must have been strenuous efforts last week and into the weekend to resolve potential brokerage issues that can cause great damage to the markets and financial system but it appears as if such will not occur this time round.

Expect sharp bounces, sell the rallies, and more bounces until this is resolved. 

Decentralized Ponzi
Jan. 31, 2021 11:15 AM ETGME4 Comments
Summary
  • The operation of the "bull pool" at wallstreetbets resembles a Ponzi scheme.
  • There are five things that make it different.
  • Pushing stock prices too high will only lead to dilution from the corporations and losses to the buyers who came in late, if not the early ones as well.

The operation of the "bull pool" at wallstreetbets resembles a Ponzi scheme. There are five things that make it different:

• It is decentralized.
  • Because it is decentralized, there is no single party that controls it and rakes off some of the money for himself, at least not directly.
  • The assets can be freely sold in a somewhat liquid but chaotic market. Most Ponzi schemes have time barriers for redemption.
  • They caught a situation where shorting was so rampant, that triggering a squeeze was easy. Situations where the shorts are so crowded are rare.
  • GameStop (NYSE:GME) and other companies whose stock prices get manipulated above their intrinsic value can take the opportunity to sell more shares, as can less than 10% holders of the holders of the stock, and even the greater than 10% holders once six months have passed since their last purchase.

You have to give wallstreetbets credit for one thing, and only one thing: wiping out the shorts. It was an incredibly crowded short, and they identified an easy squeeze. But now it is harder to short, margin requirements have been tightened for both longs and shorts, given the market volatility, and even more so for options. That not only applies to individuals but also to brokerages, because with the volatility, there is a greater probability of settlement failure, and broker failure. Robinhood faced possible failure and raised capital. What shorts remain are better financed than previously. When volatility goes up, so must the capital of intermediaries, including brokerages.

Ponzi schemes typically need ever-increasing flows of money to satisfy the cash need from the money being raked off. But there is no sponsor here, so what plays the role of the rake? I can think of three rakes for the money:

https://seekingalpha...ntralized-ponzi

#2 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:14 PM

Temporary victory for the Reddit brigade, hopefully will not end in a disgraceful catastrophe. 

Retail Investors Stage A Riot On WallStreet

For years, Wall Street has taken advantage of retail investors.

In 2000, they dumped companies with no earnings or revenue on unsuspecting individuals, eventually costing them their retirements. In 2008, it was outright mortgage fraud. From 2009 to the present, Wall Street has used algorithms, high-frequency trading, and user data purchases to front-run “the little guy” by scalping them for profits.

Interestingly, this past week, retail investors hit back. Just as individuals used social media platforms to organize protests and riots across the country, traders used websites like “Reddit” to organize a successful short-squeeze on Wall Street hedge funds. That short-squeeze, which forces hedge funds who were short stocks to cover the positions, has sent a handful of stocks to the moon. Notably, Gamestop, a retail store that is on its way to bankruptcy, has been the movement’s poster child.

If you happened to be visiting Mars over the last few days, here is what I am talking about.

GME-1.png

That chart is what a “short-squeeze” looks like when those short a stock have to “buy to cover” at the prevailing market price. It hasn’t been pretty, and the “Wall Street Bets” Reddit group took credit earlier this week for forcing Melvin Capital, a hedge fund short Gamestop, to get a $2.7 billion bailout from its hedgefund friends.

From that moment, it didn’t take long for Wall Street to show its true colors by locking retail investors out of being able to buy Gamestop. Robinhood, Schwab, WeBull, and others all restricted trading in the stock, which resulted in immediate class action lawsuits.

https://realinvestme...treet-01-29-21/

#3 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:21 PM

SILVER short-squeeze...

"The real DD on SLV, the worlds biggest short squeeze is possible and we can make history
renderTimingPixel.png

Created an official Twitter handle https://twitter.com/...8774836228?s=20 not sure if I’ll use it, but didn’t want anyone to impersonate me on there

Here is the longer DD for the short squeeze case for SLV, a follow-up from my shorter post a few hours ago. Note that I talk in first person as this is something I’m going to do. Everyone is free to do as they individually please and copy my trade if they’d like to. I think it’s absurd that forces at be think this forum is manipulating by posting publicly but that’s where we are at right now.

First things first, I'm not doing this until the GME rise is done. I am long GME but am going long SLV immediately after.

Update 1/29: due to the manipulation and collusion of citadel, hedge funds, and brokers to change the rules and rig the game in their favor. Who likely knew ahead of time and bought puts right before and calls at the bottom, GME is too important to abandon still. SLV is still my next plat but GME needs to go to $1000 and these people need to go to jail.

If you just want to know what to buy skip to the end

I present 2 investment DDs in this post, the short squeeze and the fundamentals. If you want to see what to buy

The short squeeze:

Buy SLV shares and SLV call options to force physical delivery of silver to the SLV vaults. Also buy physical silver bullion. The best possible thing would be to take physical delivery in the futures market if you have access to do so.

The silver futures market has oscillated between having roughly 100-1 and 500-1 ratio of paper traded silver to physical silver, but lets call it 250-1 for now. This means that for every 250 ounces in open interest in the futures market, only 1 actually gets delivered. Most traders would rather settle with cash rather than take delivery of thousands of ounces of silver and have to figure out to store and transport it in the future.

The people naked shorting silver via the futures markets are a couple of large banks and making them pay dearly for their over leveraged naked shorts would be incredible. It's not Melvin capital on the other side of this trade, its JP Morgan. Time to get some payback for the bailouts and manipulation they've done for decades (look up silver manipulation fines that JPM has paid over the years)."

https://www.reddit.c...s_biggest_short

#4 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:30 PM

Watch bitcoin and other cryptos during the next few days

#5 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:32 PM

57 to 42 % DOWN!  Too bearish, expect a ST bounce

Saturday Twitter Poll The next 100 points for the S&P?

UP
42.4%

DOWN
57.6%
3,766 votes·Final results

#6 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:41 PM

Fizzling, bubbling.... 

Reddit Outages Reported As r/WallStreetBets Experiences Surge In Web Traffic

#7 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:44 PM

Everyone waiting on the Sunday night open!

https://www.zerohedg...-squeeze-silver

#8 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

Lance Roberts

We could see a #reflexive bounce next week. Most sectors including #materials, #industrials, #energy, #tech, and #staples have all sharply reduced their previous extreme deviations. May have a tradeable opportunity for a few days. (http://RIAPRO.NET) https://realinvestmentadvice.com/retail-investors-stage-riot-against-wall-street-01-29-21/

#9 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

Good stuff!

VIX Analog Shows Pop Was On Schedule

vix_analog_jan2021-300x170.gif

The Jan. 27 VIX pop was fueled by worries over Reddit-inspired traders making a raid upon the established order, which threatened the sanctity of the Wall Street machine and the hedge funds which are part of that machine.  Traders feared for the loss of their comfortable and normal situation, and so they bid up the VIX (through the pricing of SP500 options) to a huge number in just a very short time frame.

That single episode by itself is not all that surprising.  The amazing part is how it... Read More

#10 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

Looking Deeper at the NAAIM Survey Data

naaim_exposure_jan2021-300x172.gif

For years I have been tracking the investor sentiment data series known as the NAAIM Exposure Index.  It is compiled by the National Association of Active Investment Managers (NAAIM), which surveys its members weekly concerning their firms’ overall equity exposure as of each Wednesday.  Responses can vary widely, as indicated below:

Range of Responses:

200% Leveraged Short
100% Fully Short
0% (100% Cash or Hedged to Market Neutral)
100% Fully Invested
200% Leveraged Long

The... Read More