The Grind is on: "Fiscal policy is dangerously "stimulative."..."

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 06:50 AM

A tough week with a loss, not large, but I was up during first 3 days and should have have managed the trades better during Thursday & Friday. Holding large SHORT positions and will add to it, with additional hedges. 

Will be trying to take a break during the final 2 weeks of August but this is easier said than done! 

This piece is somewhat provocative:

For the time being, I haven't see anything that has changed my mind about what's going on in the economy and the markets.

The Fed is promising to be too easy for too long, and that means the current inflation surge is very unlikely to prove temporary. That, in turn, means that interest rates—which are currently expected to remain very low for a long time—are very likely to rise above expectations. 

Fiscal policy is dangerously "stimulative." No need for Congress to do anything except get out of the way of the private sector. A $3+ trillion dollar "stimulus" is not only unnecessary but harmful to the economy's prospects. More spending, an expansion of the welfare state, more regulations, more taxes, more subsidies, and more transfer payments will seriously weaken the economy's long-term prospects. Not in the near term (i.e., the remainder of the year at least) but in the long haul.

In this context, I would view the passage of Biden's spending goals to be very bearish. By that logic, if Congress grows a backbone and blocks trillion dollar deficit spending, the outlook would brighten considerably.

Unfortunately, there is little that investors can do. Cash remains trash, as its purchasing power is being seriously eroded by inflation. Ditto for most fixed-income securities. Better to own productive assets that can ride the tide of higher prices (equities, commodities, commercial property). Prudent levels of debt (at long-term fixed rates especially) should benefit from higher prices and a general loss of purchasing power.

Back to the beach, it's a perfectly beautiful day!

http://scottgrannis....8/on-beach.html

#2 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 06:53 AM

ZVBuToeP_normal.jpg

Have a great weekend! The melt up off the 50dma on July 19 continues in #ES_F: +240 points. Last three 50dma tests saw 260, 235 & 390 point runs before 3 day dips.Getting close Plan: 4500 target if 4440 holds. Pullback there, but unless 4440 fails, it just sets up 4540 then 4640

ZVBuToeP_normal.jpg

Have a great weekend! The melt up off the 50dma on July 19 continues in #ES_F: +240 points. Last three 50dma tests saw 260, 235 & 390 point runs before 3 day dips.Getting close Plan: 4500 target if 4440 holds. Pullback there, but unless 4440 fails, it just sets up 4540 then 4640

#3 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 06:54 AM

Note: Goes without saying that if we don't pullback at 4500 then we will enter into a rapid rally (similar to last year at this time), but I expect to get a dip there first. Same drill applies, ride the trend & watch risk around supports-these melt-ups unravel very fast when lost

Note mid-Aug is seasonally slower (last year a good example where
#ES_F grinded up slowly between Aug 12 & 20- then went into a 230 point late August melt up into a Sept 2 big peak). Jackson Hole Aug 26 next catalyst. Similar may play out this year- early Sept next bearish window

#4 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:43 AM

Sentiment Speaks: The Market Is About To Crash - Part XXIII (This Time We Mean It)

"...Since we are in our target region, I am now going to make this rather simple for you. Micro support is 4423-35SPX. Should the market break below that support in the coming week, we have an initial signal that the wave 4 pullback has potentially begun. It becomes significantly more likely on a follow through below 4373SPX.

But, if we hold that support, and rally up to 4490SPX, then 4464SPX becomes our new support, and as long as all pullbacks then hold over that support, we are likely targeting the 4550SPX region in the coming weeks.

If you would prefer greater detail of our analysis on a daily basis as we track through this more convoluted wave structure, you can feel free to join us for a free trial at The Market Pinball Wizard. My current expectation remains that we see a 200-300 point pullback in the coming weeks, which will set up a rally to 4600+ later this year.

For most people, it means you should look for opportunities to raise some cash to take advantage of the pullback I think we will soon see. Keep in mind that I believe that the next major rally phase can take us to 4900/5000 after this next pullback completes..."

https://seekingalpha...time-we-mean-it

#5 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:46 AM

GEOPOLITICAL ISSUE affect markwts?? nÑNNNOOOOOooooo!!!
Afghanistan president Ghani to Step down, Taliban is said to take over control: Reuters

#BREAKING

#6 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:50 PM

ES BUY LIMIT 4421.5  to open 3rd ES HEDGE LONG -- in case it gets there during next 20 hours. 

Most likely, OPEX rally first few days of week and then drops into end of week.

FLAT NAT GAS & CRUDE, will short any NAT GAS rally above 4

20 VXX CALLS

63 SPY PUTS

65 QQQ PUTS

2 NQ HEDGE LONG 14964.5 & 16862.25 

2 ES HEDGE LONG  4383.5 & 4402.75

Good first week of AUGUST, great daytrading opportunities in a choppy & skittish  market with smaller intraday ATRs.
Added PUTS after taking profits on some, not large profits but managing trades to achieve NET GREEN in PUTS+ HEDGE LONGS. 

My biggest PUT positions & profits as well as occasional losses are usually in August & September.
Will add more PUTS & VXX CALLS above current  ES & NQ ATH

Will add more NAT GAS SHORTS above 4.18 and take profits below 4.05

58 SPY PUTS
63 QQQ PUTS

2 NQ HEDGE LONG 
14964.5  &  14882.25

2 ES HEDGE LONG 
4383.5 &  &  4402.75

10 VXX CALLS

#7 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,167 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:07 AM

Closing a few QQQ PUTS.

#8 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,463 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:40 AM

Whew, had to take the last highway possible to get home but was 2:00 in the morning!!  Hung onto to my short through the weekend and profit stops were hit at 4440 for 10 points but starting to look at starting my build soon!  Back to napping!! 

#9 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,463 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:30 AM

Okay, starting my build at 4448, will continue to add higher, I'm nervous as we get short term overbought here.  Took profits on my sold August 4450 calls though for a $15 profit, still holding my 4500's, wait until they are in the teens to buy them back.....

#10 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,463 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:36 PM

This is working well, got my short at 4451!!