PFFD for income ??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cp1

cp1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 01:06 PM

Anyone invest in PFFD for income? Pros/cons??

Thanks

#2 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 02:06 PM

cp1, I assume the PFFD you are referring to is the preferred stock ETF which shows a current yield around 5.18%.  In the little over 4 years that it has existed, it has only appreciated a few percent while a broad market index ETF like SPY which has a yield of 1.23% has appreciated something like 75%.  That's giving up a lot of appreciation for only a small increase in income.  It would be fairly straight forward to generate that 5.18% using a simple call writing strategy against a long SPY position or even a SPY put writing strategy against cash if you think (like I do) that it is currently overpriced.  I'm curious, why have you zeroed in on PFFD for income?  As a retired certified old fart suffering from FED interest rate suppression, I'm also constantly on the lookout for easy to milk income cows. 

Uml9NBi.png

Regards,

Douglas

#3 cp1

cp1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:19 PM

Yes, I am referring to the preferred stock ETF. I am not retired yet but plan to within the next couple of years. I do have my eggs in various baskets. Trying to have a basket of dividend income assets. I already own ABBV, SDIV, IBM, KO, IP, T and GIS.  I automatically reinvest the dividends since I don't need the income today. 

I appreciate your feedback Douglas. I am also looking for any suggestions from the experts on this board.

#4 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:34 AM

I did a quick check on PFFD and found that 87% of the holdings are in utility issues, with 7% in healthcare and 6% industrial issues.

Don't know if that was what you were actually looking for based on the thread.

However, below is the NYSE Preferred stock advance/decline line through January 7th that might provide the insight you're looking for.

Fib

breadthpre010722.png

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#5 cp1

cp1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Fib...appreciate the info.

#6 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 10:52 PM

Try VRP instead. We are embarking on an ever rising interest scenario. Normal preferred will get killed over next 2-3 years. Variable and floating rate preferred on the other hand, will maintain their price levels close to PAR and their coupon rates will be reset upwards as interest rates rise.

#7 cp1

cp1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:35 PM

Try VRP instead. 

Good one...thanks.