Risk Windows for Next Week and a Mad Rush for a Narrow Door

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 02:10 PM

According to my risk summation system, the days this coming week with the highest risk of a turn in or acceleration of the current trend in the DJIA are Monday the 24th, Wednesday the 26th and Friday the 28th.  The Monday risk window may actually be part of a bigger window which started this past Friday the 21st, and the Friday of next week risk window may also be part of a bigger risk window which includes Monday the 31st.  Sorry for the complexity, but this market may be about to get even more violent, with the risk of gridlock unlike anything anyone has ever experienced outside of a commodity pit.

This past week my system showed risk windows on three out of the four trading days.  I should have just labelled the whole week as a risk given the sharp sawtooth decline that occurred. 

Mia culpa for pointing out in a recent post a bitcoin pattern that failed.  The cluster of long tails formation that I noted in the daily chart only led to a brief rally which failed.  Bitcoin has broken below the level of the pattern.  Leave it me to point out a pattern that has been behaving nicely right before it goes off the rails.  

On a brighter note, the Pound has been generally marching northward since my post touting its prospects.  Unfortunately for old blighty, a lot of the shine has now come off Cable and it might be in for a rough patch depending on Boris's ability to tread water wearing cement galoshes.

My dark comment above concerning market gridlock stems from my current Elliott Wave count shown below and the current investment concentration in a few high flying stocks.  If I am correct to a tee, the odds of which are about as good as a lame horse's at Pimlico, we may be stumbling toward a third wave down in a bear market where every mother's son is heavily invested in just a handful of stocks.  This has the makings of a fat ladies' mad rush for the doors at opening time for a Walmart black Friday sale scenario.  Sorry for the visual, but it might just be apropos if I'm right about the cliff ahead.  The fly in the ointment of this outlook is Jerome's put, where exactly is it and when will he unleash a new flood of funny money if the market breaks hard?  I know it's there somewhere basically because it has been ever since Frankenstein Greenspan created this monster.  The central bank has ceased being a defender of the currency and defeater of inflation and is now just a slave to the DJIA, but if, and that's a big if, a third wave down gets underway before the FED can turn on the pumps, a lot of damage can happen in a very short time. 

74PJ2QV.png

My count above is probably complete crap if the blue trend line is broken before the green one.  The FED reaction to any sharp break may create a neck breaking snap back, but a lot of stops may be hit before it gets traction.  Anyway, my ability to correctly predict these sort of non-linear events is somewhere beyond abysmal, but risk is what it is, a fragile "maybe" floating in a sea full of big iceberg "if's".  Given the damage done last week, it wouldn't shock me if they crank up the money pumps bright and early this coming Monday, but sooner or later gravity is going to win out since this ever expanding rubber skinned stock market bubble is starting to look a lot like a lead zeppelin.

Regards,

Douglas

Edited by Douglas, 22 January 2022 - 02:13 PM.

#2 beta

beta

lasergirl

• TT Patron+
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 02:47 PM

Dougie, thanks for the chart.  I think you are spot on. 

Wave structure is looking very impulsive off late Dec top.  Time to sell everything, and head for the nearest cave. 

"Daytrading -- An Extreme Sport !"

#3 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:49 PM

beta, before you go into that cave, make sure the FED hasn't put a bear trap in the mouth.  I've called the stinking top so many times since 2009 that this time I won't believe it until I literally see prices crashing down, and given the new FED mantra that the only good bear is a floor rug, that may be a big ask.  In 2020 virtually the whole world shutdown and they only permitted the bear market in the DJIA to last 27 days, 27 cotton picking days.  These guys seriously hate bears.  

Regards,

Douglas

#4 gannman

gannman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 06:10 PM

we all have called that top douglas i like your count. lets see what happens monday 

this is going to be an interesting week for sure 

feeling mellow with the yellow metal

#5 kssmibotm

kssmibotm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 08:12 PM

Sorry, but I have to disagree with your count. The Sep 2020 high should be wave 1 and the Oct '20 low is the wave 2 low. That correction is larger and longer in duration than the 1-2 correction you have. No way a minor degree correction can be larger than the higher degree correction as you have it labeled. Also, I would label the recent high as wave 3, and we are now in wave 4.

Edited by kssmibotm, 22 January 2022 - 08:12 PM.

People think the Holy Grail is something looked for but never found. In fact, it is something often found but rarely recognized.

#6 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 08:24 PM

NY Big 10 Fang index looks to me like it is JUST STARTING to drop out of that falling wedge.

I will be shocked if we see above the top of Friday's candle anytime soon, and it could be decades....

AAPL was valued briefly at 3 TRILLION DOLLARS (marked the exact top, as I suspected it would)....total insanity....

nyfang.png

Edited by K Wave, 22 January 2022 - 08:25 PM.

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#7 beta

beta

lasergirl

• TT Patron+
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:03 PM

March 2020 lows are going to be retested.  

Only question here is whether this is the end of the bull run, or The End of Thee Bull. 

Edited by beta, 22 January 2022 - 11:03 PM.

"Daytrading -- An Extreme Sport !"

#8 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 11:07 PM

Douglas, even the almighty FED has limits. They can't sell 10 year bonds paying 1.85% (fully taxable) while inflation is running at 7%.

If FED just prints money, they are following proven history of Weimar Republic, Argentina & Zimbabwe.  

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Sir Winston Churchill
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#9 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:05 AM

kssmibotm (I love your handle by the way), I think what you are describing is my alternate count.  Every Elliottician has an alternate count just to fall back on when his primary count based on his preconceived notion goes to pieces (my current preconceived notion is that the bull market is over so I force the count to show it).  With regards to the degree violation, I am not a purist when it comes to Elliott wave construction.  Hersey of heresies I believe that there can be three wave impulses and five wave corrections.  Elliott was describing mass psychology which is messy at best.  I believe that it generally is correct, but not every time. Sometimes people's responses just don't follow a preordained structure and the FED is interfering mightily. No system is perfect, not Elliott or any other.  It works sometimes and sometimes it's complete crap.  Indicator perfection just doesn't exist. In the spirit of full disclosure my alternative count is shown below.  Given how market obsessed the current  FED is, this alternative probably has a higher probability of being right than my primary count, but I just can't keep my inner bear in check.

fMUMAZc.png

pdx5, I agree the FED is not almighty, it just thinks it's the Almighty.  What worries me is that they will continue to pump until some unforeseen event or nefarious foreign actor knocks the dollar out of its reserve status.  When that happens, the game is over.  We are Weimar Germany with all its catastrophic consequences.  I hope they come to their senses before it's too late.  If the Yuan is ever freely traded, I will really start to worry.  The only current alternative is the Euro and it's central bank is just as looney as ours so we're probably safe for the time being.

Regards,

Douglas

#10 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:19 PM

You cannot myopically focus on SP or Dow here...

For NY Fang, I think something like the below is the BEST they will be able to manage, and it could easily turn into an option B full blown crash right from here all the way down to that 900, as this is precisely the formation where crashes of that variety DO happen.

I can show example after example after example of daily charts completely crashing from this formation. NFLX just the most recent example....

In any event, stickin' to my story that I will be shocked if NY Big 10 Fang gets above Friday's candle...the floor literally just gave way there....

If they eventually recapture that floor, I will be the first to admit I am wrong, but with the fully synchronous rollovers I am seeing across multiple longer time frames, I do not think I will be wrong....

Now let's just assume that I turn out to be correct....what is going to be the effect of tons of market cap going full blown bear market, either gradually, or all at once, on SP and DOW, and especially NAZ?

If that monthly chart of TQQQ does not scare the hell out of you, do not know what it would take.......

nyfang.png

Edited by K Wave, 23 January 2022 - 12:20 PM.

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy