Put/Call Ratio Conundrum

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 06:34 AM

This morning while downloading my daily data dump I noticed that the money.cnn.com/data/fear-and-greed/ put/call ratio (top plot below) was shown in the "greed" column and differed wildly from the data from stockcharts.com (bottom plot below).  Does anyone reading this understand why the difference and what I am missing?   I'm just chalking it up to bad data at CNN, but is there something else going on?   Education and illumination always appreciated.

Regards,

Douglas

P.S. Was yesterday a risk window or what!  Who needs carnival rollercoasters when you've got the NYSE.  

UZSR6Gb.png

IAysjNR.png

#2 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 09:06 AM

When has there ever been good data from CNN, bahahahaha!!!swoon.gifpop.gif

#3 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:24 PM

When has there ever been good data from CNN, bahahahaha!!!swoon.gifpop.gif

Very true.

But to answer your question, I would propose that it would be highly unusual to see overwhelming call buying after the marketplace had been down for 6 straight days, and lost nearly 10% of its value in 7, unless it's someone with VERY DEEP POCKETS and willing to catch a falling knife.

Fib

Edited by fib_1618, 25 January 2022 - 12:26 PM.

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions