• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:13 PM

Less Than Five Days’ Supply: Chip Shortage Slams U.S. Manufacturers

It is a good thing that we are not dependent on computer chips for any necessities...NOT!

My daughter has been working as a rep for INTEL inside of Best Buy stores.

Locally, Best Buy is cutting open-hours and said it is Covid and employment shortage related: no mention of the chip issue.

US warns that chip shortage could shut down factories

The U.S. supply of computer chips has fallen to alarmingly low levels, raising the prospect of factory shutdowns

Why the global chip shortage threatens the economy, national security and Americans' 'status quo'

"It is both an economic and national security imperative to solve this crisis."

Biden Team Says Global Chip Shortage to Stretch Through 2022
  • Raimondo says U.S. to probe potential price gouging on chips
  • Commerce report: semiconductor supply chain ‘remains fragile’

Elon-Brain-Chip.jpg

Edited by Rogerdodger, 26 January 2022 - 01:22 PM.

#2 brucekeller

brucekeller

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:15 PM

If Biden goes hard on crypto then that could at least decrease demand for chips at least.

#3 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:13 PM

This from last Friday: https://tinyurl.com/yc5pa5mn

BTW...just bought a new car and it was tough...very little new car inventory to test drive and buy, but lots of used cars in their place at prices way above Blue Book.

It was actually kinda eerie to see the lots without any inventory because of the lack of semiconductors available for the onboard computers.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#4 MDurkin

MDurkin

• Traders-Talk User
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:16 PM

BTW...just bought a new car and it was tough...very little new car inventory to test drive and buy, but lots of used cars in their place at prices way above Blue Book.

It was actually kinda eerie to see the lots without any inventory because of the lack of semiconductors available for the onboard computers.

Fib

Yeah easy way to tell that this whole mess is ending is when the lots are filled. Curious what did you buy? I'm looking in the spring to trade in what I am driving.

#5 jesteronyer6

jesteronyer6

• Traders-Talk User
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:04 PM

There are roughly 1200 to 1800 chips in each vehicle being manufactured today. How do I know this, I am a GM dealer and it came straight from that factory's mouth. 

I love my country, I fear my government.

#6 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:35 PM

Fib

Yeah easy way to tell that this whole mess is ending is when the lots are filled. Curious what did you buy? I'm looking in the spring to trade in what I am driving.

Well...here's the rest of the story:

With there being little to no inventory of new vehicles, much of what is purchased today has at least a 4 month lead time - UNLESS - what you want configured is already on order. If it is configured, then you have to see if there's one on order that hasn't been spoken for. If so, too bad. If not, you then put down a deposit and they call you when it comes in. That, of course, is a fluid situation since we currently have cargo ships still sitting off shore in the Los Angeles area yet to be unloaded for months now, so deliveries to dealerships are inconsistent both in time and whether the purchase order is complete or not (I read yesterday that the number of ships extends all the way south BEYOND the Mexican border now!) Anyway, this is why all of the websites are pushing "build and price" at this point, and that's fine, but you will have to wait for your purchase for several months or longer...especially if you want a more expensive paint job or 4 wheel drive (for example).

In any event, we were looking for a small SUV, shopped maybe 12 different brands, and wound up with (surprisingly) a Nissan Rogue because it was both in stock and ready to go AND it was in my wife's favorite color...a Monarch Orange!

One other thing: this was our first purchase of a car in 24 years, so if you haven't been shopped for a car in quite a while be prepared to be "technically overwhelmed", and above all else, sticker shock. Speaking of which, there's very little in negotiating on price these days...it's pretty much MSRP and any dealer add on in many areas because of demand (this can range from $2000 to $10,000 with our shopping). They can stick the dealer add on...and was "happy" just to get what I got.

My suggestion for anyone reading this is to shop around now because if it's not in stock, you're going to have wait awhile to be a new owner. Alternately, you can always get a used car and wait for the pipeline to clear out and then buy, but be prepared for sticker shock there as well. On that note, trade-ins are getting more than top dollar right now, especially on vehicles that have been either discontinued or put off sale just so dealerships have something to sell. In my case, I've had bidding wars on my 2000 Ford Ranger to the point of being almost half of what I paid for it back in 2000!

Maybe "jesteronyer6" would be kind enough to add some additional insight.

Fib

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#7 MDurkin

MDurkin

• Traders-Talk User
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:38 PM

Fib

With there being little to no inventory of new vehicles, much of what is purchased today has at least a 4 month lead time - UNLESS - what you want configured is already on order. If it is configured, then you have to see if there's one on order that hasn't been spoken for. If so, too bad. If not, you then put down a deposit and they call you when it comes in. That, of course, is a fluid situation since we currently have cargo ships still sitting off shore in the Los Angeles area yet to be unloaded for months now, so deliveries to dealerships are inconsistent both in time and whether the purchase order is complete or not (I read yesterday that the number of ships extends all the way south BEYOND the Mexican border now!) Anyway, this is why all of the websites are pushing "build and price" at this point, and that's fine, but you will have to wait for your purchase for several months or longer...especially if you want a more expensive paint job or 4 wheel drive (for example).

In any event, we were looking for a small SUV, shopped maybe 12 different brands, and wound up with (surprisingly) a Nissan Rogue because it was both in stock and ready to go AND it was in my wife's favorite color...a Monarch Orange!

One other thing: this was our first purchase of a car in 24 years, so if you haven't been shopped for a car in quite a while be prepared to be "technically overwhelmed", and above all else, sticker shock. Speaking of which, there's very little in negotiating on price these days...it's pretty much MSRP and any dealer add on in many areas because of demand (this can range from $2000 to $10,000 with our shopping). They can stick the dealer add on...and was "happy" just to get what I got.

My suggestion for anyone reading this is to shop around now because if it's not in stock, you're going to have wait awhile to be a new owner. Alternately, you can always get a used car and wait for the pipeline to clear out and then buy, but be prepared for sticker shock there as well. On that note, trade-ins are getting more than top dollar right now, especially on vehicles that have been either discontinued or put off sale just so dealerships have something to sell. In my case, I've had bidding wars on my 2000 Ford Ranger to the point of being almost half of what I paid for it back in 2000!

Fib

Thanks. Yeah only reason I'm even thinking about it is they are offering 5000 more for my RAV4 that I paid for it 3 years ago. I'm OK paying Sticker as long as they give me that for mine. Looking at a Venza or a RAV4 Hybrid.

#8 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:49 PM

Fib

Fib

Thanks. Yeah only reason I'm even thinking about it is they are offering 5000 more for my RAV4 that I paid for it 3 years ago. I'm OK paying Sticker as long as they give me that for mine. Looking at a Venza or a RAV4 Hybrid.

Yea..it's better than a lease...and you might get lucky in finding something that you can work with until things clear out a bit (that is, if we're still friendly with China ohmy.png )

Also remember, unless you're paying cash, interest rates are going to be up to a 1/2% higher by late spring (1/4% in March, 1/4% in June).

Fib

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:31 PM

wound up with (surprisingly) a Nissan...

Maybe it was the sexy sales lady, Brei Larson?

I remember those good old days when "four on the floor" described my back seat and not the transmission.

A guy can still dream can't he? wub.png

Brie.jpg

#10 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:14 PM

Fib, I had this Pontiac G5 in metallic orange and I loved that car
Because of the color. It was head turning spectacular!
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule