The Invisible Hand Reverse Robinhood Strategy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 06:02 AM

The FED's lack of a strong response to the obvious inflation has been baffling me.   I originally believed that they were clueless and bereft of a strategy to cope.  I now believe that I finally understand their strategy, it's an Invisible Hand Reverse Robinhood strategy.  Basically they just plan to throw grandma under the bus by following Adam Smith's advice to do nothing and let market forces sort out the inflation.   The FED appears to be just letting the invisible hand of the market dampen  inflation by letting the cure for high prices be high prices. 

The problem with this strategy is who suffers as the invisible hand doles out the cure.  Letting inflation run riot will crush grandma retirees and pensioners, not to mention lower rung workers on a fixed salary.  Of course, the asset rich wealthy and the stock holders, the support of which is the new "secret" primary FED mandate, will simply grow richer insulating them from pain.  The risk in this strategy is if wages are driven higher by labor shortages creating a viscous perpetual circle of inflation, but currently wages are lagging inflation and so the pain is being felt by salaried workers as well as pensioners and savers which the FED for years now has clearly shown they are not concerned with.  

It appears that  this FED has decided to let  the bottom rungs of the economic ladder do all the suffering letting their demand destruction stamp out this inflation burst.  Cold blooded, yes, but if Adam Smith was right, it should work.  The invisible hand will eventually flatten prices as demand destruction due to high prices and price driven supply increases finally kick in as the corporations benefit from lower real labor costs.  

The whole point of the above diatribe is that this FED strategy should be wildly bullish for the stock market, since the FED apparently is not going down the traditional path of rapidly raising interest rates to fight inflation which would create a classical recession driving down stock prices which would spread the suffering up and down the economic ladder.  The FED is accelerating the wealth gap by driving down the cost of labor for corporations which also should be bullish for stocks.  Grandma is toast since the invisible hand will be slapping her down in this reverse Robinhood strategy, but Skip and Karen on Wall Street are going to be living larger than ever.  It's good to be rich, especially when the FED's got your back.

Regards,

Douglas

Edited by Douglas, 20 April 2022 - 06:05 AM.

#2 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,444 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:06 AM

Been saying that since they started talking about raising rates.  There is no way they will raise 7 times this year!!  You may be right but its also because average debt levels of many people is through the roof so if rates moved up even more it would kill the average person.  Mortgage rates have already doubled anyhow and I'm sure there is going to be a huge fallout from that alone! 

#3 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:48 AM

12SPX, my first mortgage was at 7.25% so I can't feel too sorry for folks nowadays.  With no capital gains tax, mortgage interest deductibility and appreciation in good locations running 10% per year, real estate is a no brainer even with the current 5% mortgage rates in the US.  Here in the UK the interest isn't deductible, but the appreciation is higher and here there are no home property taxes, so it's still better than a bank, or even the UK stock market.  The problem here is that local planners control all building so there is a severe shortage of housing with high demand so prices are through the roof.   In my little town 150 miles from London housing in good locations runs almost 400 dollars a square foot with a postage stamp sized yard.

Regards,

Douglas

#4 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,444 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:45 AM

Yes I'm in Canada and its non deductible also.  I started in 1979 and assumed a mortgage for 10.75 and had to take out a second at 26% so I know about interest rates.  However I was making $3000 a month then with houses around $75,000.  People today are taking out mortgages for $600,000 and making on average less $5000 per month.  People can't live like this and make it and just our recent interest rate increase here added $7000 a year to mortgage payments.  Things will far apart if they keep raising and they know it...  Add in inflation and were done.....

#5 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:29 PM

Inflation will not correct itself so long as government is operating with gigantic deficit spending every year.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule