• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:06 PM

Jeremy Grantham says the S&P 500 will fall at least 40% from its peak as the stock market bubble looks a lot like 2000 all over again

https://www.yahoo.co...-193206808.html

Matthew Fox
Wed, May 18, 2022, 3:32 PM

• Jeremy Grantham is sticking with his call that the stock market is in a bubble akin to 2000.

• Grantham said he expects the S&P 500 to fall at least 40% from its peak in a CNBC interview.

• "We should be in some sort of recession pretty quickly," Grantham said. 

Jeremy Grantham of GMO believes the stock market is in a bubble akin to 2000 that is in the process of deflating, according to a Wednesday interview with CNBC.

Grantham said he expects the S&P 500 to fall at least 40% from its peak in what will likely be a multi-year decline for stocks. That would send the S&P 500 to about 2,880, a level not seen since the March 2020 COVID-19 bear market. The S&P 500 is currently down 18% year-to-date, trading at the 3,925 level as of Wednesday afternoon.

On the surface, the current stock market looks similar to the 2000 dot-com bubble given that much of the damage has been concentrated in US tech stocks.

"This bubble superficially looks very much like 2000, focused on US tech, led by Nasdaq going to incredible highs, with the opening weakness in Nasdaq, which started to fall along with the Russell 2000 long before the S&P [500] did," Grantham said.

But there are a couple of serious differences between the 2000 dot-com bubble and today's stock market that scare Grantham.

"What I fear is that there are a couple of differences with 2000 that are more serious. One of them is that 2000 was exclusively in US stocks, the bonds were great, the yields were terrific, housing was cheap [and] commodities were well behaved," Grantham said, adding that in comparison to today, 2000 "was paradise."

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#2 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:42 PM

This left wing wacko fundamentalist has been saying the same thing over and over again for the last 50 years...one the great "permabears" of our time.

Interesting how Yahoo News decided to splatter this garbage after the SPX has already lost 18% from its peak and 4% today...that sure is helpful.

You wonder how emotional panics take place for the average investor? Here you go.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#3 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:07 PM

My only question is where was his prediction when market was at highest level?

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#4 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:44 PM

My only question is where was his prediction when market was at highest level?

He’s been calling markets peaks continuously for over 50 years.

This time around, It just wasn’t publicly reported because it was considered “misinformation” politically.

Fib

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#5 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 01:09 PM

May be like a broken clock, Jeremy Grantham will be correct this time.

The bulls are quiet today, not even the sky watcher posting.

#6 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 02:34 PM

Yes...but that clock broke long ago regardless if he's right or wrong THIS time.Then again, being correct only five times over the last 50 years still makes him a multi millionaire on the backs of those who expect him to be fiduciarily responsible with his content.

Fib

#7 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,046 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 08:49 PM

Yes...but that clock broke long ago regardless if he's right or wrong THIS time.Then again, being correct only five times over the last 50 years still makes him a multi millionaire on the backs of those who expect him to be fiduciarily responsible with his content.

Fib

you sound sore about this

#8 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 06:40 PM

I agree with you guys.  He has been a Perma-Bear like Robert Prechter and many others.  At this juncture, for those with dry powder, assemble a wishlist of stocks you want to purchase AND instead of placing limit orders, Sell cash-covered puts at strikes below the market and/or at prices you'd be willing to pay for the stocks.  

If on the other hand, you're fully-invested in stocks, you'll get a chance to lighten up in the Fall, when a cycle turn (High) is due.  Right now you have to be very patient and hopefully you can collect dividends while you wait.   Regardless, you will want to lighten up on forthcoming rallies to high or near previous highs (probably get back to 4300 on S&P by Sept).  WHY?  Because things are going to get rough in 2023.  Hint...War Cycles will heat up in 1st quarter of 2023.... big Lows in markets in 2024.  Cash will be King again.