Wage Growth

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyG

MikeyG

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 07:58 AM

I work for a fortune 100 company that has thankfully not gone woke. 

They are planning 20%+ raises for thousands of employees to deal with inflation. 

We have around 100,000 employees, so it could be across the board, but I just know about my department. 

mdgcapital@protonmail.com  

papilioinvest.com

@papilioinvest

"One soul is worth more than the whole world." 

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:58 AM

Snowball effect seen in everything.

Higher wages = higher taxes and higher costs passed on to overtaxed customers who then buy less higher priced "stuff" as they demand higher wages.

As businesses always say, "I have upped mine, now up yours."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 15 July 2022 - 10:02 AM.

#3 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 10:17 AM

That is what I have been saying. Inflation feeds on itself. And that is why it lasted many years during mid 1970's & early 1980's.

First we have excess money printing and then added to that we have supply side breakdown. Between lockdowns, shortage of skilled workers, and energy costs 40-50% higher than year ago, inflation is here to stay for a while. Long term bonds look risky.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 10:27 AM

And yet people look to the same government who got us here, to get us out.

"If we just get new snakes in Washington to replace these old snakes, things will be different"...GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

"It does not belong to man who is walking to direct even his own steps.."

Buy sweaters now, before the price goes up even more!

During the particularly cold first months of 1977, the President, in what some call “The Sweater Speech,” famously noted how much energy could be saved if Americans simply reduced the thermostat settings for heating their homes.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 15 July 2022 - 11:15 AM.

#5 gismeu

gismeu

• Traders-Talk User
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 11:20 AM

Buy sweaters now, before the price goes up even more!

During the particularly cold first months of 1977, the President, in what some call “The Sweater Speech,” famously noted how much energy could be saved if Americans simply reduced the thermostat settings for heating their homes.

Now that is really funny

gis
P.S. I am facetious, just in case.
If you can't buy Happiness, STEAL IT!

#6 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 12:03 PM

Hah I don't need gov't to adjust thermostat. I have been doing it since 1970. Wear overcoat in house during winter, and just boxers in summer.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 03:16 PM

'Abandoned' Dollar Tree Stuns Shopper: 'Nobody Works Here'

"Overworked, understaffed and underpaid."
Several users who claimed to have worked at the chain agreed.
"I worked at a dollar tree for 2 days for [minimum] wage. It's not worth it," one said.
"I worked at a [D]dollar [T]ree, worked hard too, only get paid about $250 every 2 weeks and they don't care at all," another added.

Dollar Tree has notoriously struggled with staffing shortages across the country. As workers across industries have quit their jobs at a historic rate, retail businesses have started to raise pay, provide better schedules and even give bonuses to retain their workforce.

Personally, lately have been spending $250 a week just for gasoline and groceries for 2 people.

You can easily make that much in an hour stealing catalytic converters.

Crime and homelessness up much?

Half of New Yorkers say that increasing crime is their number one issue.

LA sees a 160% crime increase since 2020.

(No wonder that criminals want to defund the police.)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 15 July 2022 - 03:44 PM.

#8 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 05:59 PM

My company gave us 4% raise early to combat inflation and sped up paying us retention benefits early, so didn't concentrate much on raises...   They are playing the waiting game I think...   I am glad to see some companies giving large increases to curb people leaving...   I somehow doubt my employer will...

#9 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 08:59 AM

Snowball effect seen in everything.

Higher wages = higher taxes and higher costs passed on to overtaxed customers who then buy less higher priced "stuff" as they demand higher wages.

As businesses always say, "I have upped mine, now up yours."

The war on small bussiness continues and you are going to see many go under. I can't even find anybody that will do any kind of physical labor.

#10 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 09:35 AM

My company gave us 4% raise early to combat inflation and sped up paying us retention benefits early, so didn't concentrate much on raises...   They are playing the waiting game I think...   I am glad to see some companies giving large increases to curb people leaving...   I somehow doubt my employer will...

Eventually they have to draw people back in to the work place. and, are big corpoations going to do something regarding child care, to draw women back to work?