Dark Clouds: Exploding Evictions/Homelesness

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 01:35 PM

“I don’t want to be a doom and gloom person, but we’re probably about to see the worst of what’s about to happen.”      Evictions are piling up across the U.S. as Covid-era protections end and rents climb

Evictions.jpg

A CNBC poll in October found just 16% of voters believed the economy is “excellent” or “good,” and 59% of voters expect there will be a recession over the next 12 months.

7,800,000 Americans said they were behind on their rent in October and 3,000,000 felt they were likely to be evicted in the next two months.

San Francisco officials estimate as many as 20,000 people will experience homelessness at some point in the year 2022 — and for every one person housed by a city program, four more will become unhoused.

In June, rents were up 24% year over year, with a median asking rent of $2,261. In Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix, evictions are at their highest levels since at least 2016, with more than 45,000 filings this year.

One region that has seen the greatest increases in housing costs is Oklahoma City, where rents were up 24% in September compared to a year earlier and evictions have been steadily on the rise this year and are more than 40% above their pre-pandemic levels, with more than 1,800 evictions filed in September.

In Minneapolis, where rent increases have trended below the national average, evictions in September were 37% above their historical averages after shooting up in June, when the state lifted its eviction moratorium.

"One medical bill, one car repair can pretty quickly push someone towards an eviction.”

Edited by Rogerdodger, 26 November 2022 - 01:54 PM.

#2 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 01:59 PM

Motor bikes are good alternative to cars except in snow country. Can by a decent scooter for $1200 which is less than a serious car repair bill. 

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 02:43 PM

Yes but...

Shopping carts seem to be growing in popularity everywhere I look.

I like the red ones with the sunroof.

Shopping-carts.jpg

Edited by Rogerdodger, 26 November 2022 - 02:45 PM.

#4 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:18 PM

I noticed many homeless people standing on street corners looking for a handout have a manual bike. 

Fortunately there are not many homeless people's camps in my town here in Florida.  

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#5 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:20 PM

I noticed many homeless people standing on street corners looking for a handout have a manual bike. 

Fortunately there are not many homeless people's camps in my town here in Florida.  

Come to California, you won't believe what your eyes will see.

Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 10:10 PM

have a manual bike

Bikes, like shopping carts and Amazon packages are easy pickins.  So sad.

Mental problems or child support debt, school debt, substance abuse, no light at the end of the tunnel.

More than two in five of the country’s 68 million Gen Zers have a clinically-diagnosed mental health condition.

Proverbs: "Where there is no vision for the future, the people cast off restraint."

PS: Have you seen my Amazon order?

Train-theft.jpg

Edited by Rogerdodger, 26 November 2022 - 10:22 PM.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 12:30 AM

Published Tue, Nov 15 2022

The fastest pace in 15 years due to hefty increases in credit card usage and mortgage balances

The biggest contributors to that debt load came from mortgage balances, which rose $1 trillion from a year ago to $11.7 trillion, and credit card debt, which climbed to $930 billion.

The Fed said auto loan balances edged higher to $1.52 trillion while student loan debt nudged lower to $1.57 trillion.

• Households increased debt at the fastest pace in 15 years due to hefty increases in credit card usage and mortgage balances.
  • The credit card balance collectively rose more than 15% from the same period in 2021, the largest annual jump in more than 20 years, according to the New York Fed.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 November 2022 - 12:34 AM.

#8 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 12:18 PM

The problem is one can get multiple credit cards and max them all out and then declare bankruptcy and then who gets stuck with the unpaid balances? That's right, other people who are  using credit cards but can't pay the balance each month. Ever wonder why credit cards charge interest rates of 25% on unpaid balances?  

#9 cp1

cp1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:38 PM

I am from California. Just got back from a two week trip to Florida. Flew in to Miami, drove all the way to Key West, back to Miami, drove North to Cape Canaveral, St. Augustine, Tampa, St. Petersburg and back to Miami.

It is incredible how great every road and Freeways are, did not see a single pothole, it's like driving on glass. 

I only saw about 5 homeless people in St. Augustine, did not see any tents. Every where is sooooo darn clean, gas is $2 less than CA, Sales tax is 6%, some cities it is 6.5%, oh and NO STATE TAX, everyone knows that.

HOW THE HECK DO THEY DO IT? Obviously, a well managed state.

#10 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:33 PM

I am from California. Just got back from a two week trip to Florida. Flew in to Miami, drove all the way to Key West, back to Miami, drove North to Cape Canaveral, St. Augustine, Tampa, St. Petersburg and back to Miami.

It is incredible how great every road and Freeways are, did not see a single pothole, it's like driving on glass. 

I only saw about 5 homeless people in St. Augustine, did not see any tents. Every where is sooooo darn clean, gas is $2 less than CA, Sales tax is 6%, some cities it is 6.5%, oh and NO STATE TAX, everyone knows that.

HOW THE HECK DO THEY DO IT? Obviously, a well managed state.

Yes the roads and rest areas in Florida are the best anywhere, and I have driven in 49 states. St Augustine is oldest city in USA and a tourist town and I like living here.