Photo

Fed fund rate 7-8 percent by the end of the year- crazy?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MDurkin

MDurkin

• Traders-Talk User
  • 638 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 05:34 PM

#2 MikeyG

MikeyG

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:12 PM

PPI is a cumulative .5% after today's number in the last 7 months. 

Annualized at 1.2%...

mdgcapital@protonmail.com  

papilioinvest.com

@papilioinvest

"One soul is worth more than the whole world." 

#3 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,761 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:22 PM

Annualized at 1.2%...

We are dealing with either mentally retarded people over there, or pure evil...take your pick.

I came up with the phrase Intellectual Morons many years ago to describe  A LOT of the Ivy league Grads.

Shocking how many clueless people I personally know from MIT, Harvard etc., and since PC became "required", it has only gotten worse.

Not that there are not some very "street smart" ones with common sense, but not the norm from my personal experience.

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#4 MikeyG

MikeyG

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:28 PM

Annualized at 1.2%...

We are dealing with either mentally retarded people over there, or pure evil...take your pick.

I came up with the phrase Intellectual Morons many years ago to describe  A LOT of the Ivy league Grads.

Shocking how many clueless people I personally know from MIT, Harvard etc., and since PC became "required", it has only gotten worse.

Not that there are not some very "street smart" ones with common sense, but not the norm from my personal experience.

Housing is down from it's peak, gasoline, lumber etc all down from peaks. Clearly inflation has peaked, the question is how long it takes to get to 2 percent...

I am in the transitory camp, based historical trends stemming from population.

It is very difficult to bet against a 40+ year trend in yields, but we will see.  

Edited by MikeyG, 16 February 2023 - 06:33 PM.

papilioinvest.com

@papilioinvest

#5 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,761 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:35 PM

Annualized at 1.2%...

Housing is down from it's peak, gasoline, lumber etc all down from peaks. Clearly inflation has peaked, the question is how long it takes to get to 2 percent...

I am in the transitory camp, based historical trends stemming from population.

It is very difficult to bet against a 50+ year trend in yields, but we will see.  

I keep telling everyone...WATCH JAPAN...that brewing disaster could break open at any time now, and I have a strong suspicion that 2023 is the year it really starts to become evident.

10 yield once again PEGGED at the .5 limit, and BOJ printing trillions upon trillions of Yen to defend...it WILL NOT end well..

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#6 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:03 PM

Annualized at 1.2%...

My house bought 3 years ago for $272k is getting offers of over $400k.

My grocery bill has gone from $1000/month to $1500 per month since Biden is president.

My electric bill just went up 10% over last year.

My home insurance has gone from $600 to $850 in 2 years.

My car oil changes have gone from $49.95 to $69.95 in 2 years.

Everything is going up 10%/year or more, such as TV cable, internet, property tax, doctor's bills, car insurance.

The 1.2% PPI you speak of is no help.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#7 MDurkin

MDurkin

• Traders-Talk User
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 03:12 AM

Annualized at 1.2%...

My grocery bill has gone from $1000/month to $1500 per month since Biden is president.

Everything is going up 10%/year or more, such as TV cable, internet, property tax, doctor's bills, car insurance.

Yes, and what happens if oil goes from 77 to 120 in the next 6 months ?

#8 MikeyG

MikeyG

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 03:24 AM

Annualized at 1.2%...

Its not me that speaks of 1.2 percent. It is the data that is published. It is coming down from higher level and people have adjusted by getting back into the workforce, hence the strong jobs as of late.

You are making my transitory point BTW, if people cant afford things, you curtail spending and things become cheaper.

No one said this is going to be a straight line either, but by this summer/fall, we will be talking about a Fed cut more than inflation.

papilioinvest.com

@papilioinvest

#9 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,761 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:26 AM

Annualized at 1.2%...

Nothing like driving with eyes in the rear view mirror....market does not care at all about what happened in 2021- early 2022....

#10 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 09:47 AM

Interest rates aren't going to go that high and if the Fed did that you could expect the worst depression of all time.  People are so in debt from this everything bubble I think things are going to slow down dramatically.  The only people with money are the baby boomers and they are running out supporting their kids.  This next year is going to be interesting....