Photo

Anyone Wants to Take Guess--What Will Fed Balance Sheet Look Like?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 10:56 AM

EOM.

#2 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:06 AM

I have misplaced my reading glasses swoon.gif

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:20 AM

I have a better question: how many “backstop holes” can the Fed plug before the crumbling dam totally fails?

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#4 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:28 AM

I have a better question: how many “backstop holes” can the Fed plug before the crumbling dam totally fails?

Fib

I agree Fib. I'll say again all this talk of thinking the Fed "has our backs" is stupid. Where was the Fed in 2000? did it exist then as QQQ proceeded to drop 83% over a few years and took 20 years to recover? How about 2007/2008? did the Fed stop that? That crisis spawned the "solution" of zero rates. How is that working out now?  We are in a big mess and there may not be a way out.

#5 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:59 AM

Fib

I agree Fib. I'll say again all this talk of thinking the Fed "has our backs" is stupid. Where was the Fed in 2000? did it exist then as QQQ proceeded to drop 83% over a few years and took 20 years to recover? How about 2007/2008? did the Fed stop that? That crisis spawned the "solution" of zero rates. How is that working out now?  We are in a big mess and there may not be a way out.

And then you have to decide what one should do as far as possibly being the odd man out in such a situation? Do you move your money out of a "red state bank" for they're not likely to get the funds needed to survive over that of, let's say, Goldman Sachs, where they got a dollar for dollar bailout in 2008 because of Treasury Secretary Paulson...or do you move your money from this same more conservative leaning institution to a bank like, again, Goldman Sachs, to provide that additional backstop protection from loss of your capital even though you don't agree with their banking/company philosophy?

As we've seen over the last several years, laws don't matter any more...only political affiliations and their economics do...the very same stench we've smelled this past week.

Fib

Edited by fib_1618, 17 March 2023 - 11:59 AM.

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#6 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:13 PM

https://wolfstreet.c...-off-continued/

Fed Loaned $160 Billion to Banks and $142 billion to FDIC. But QT-Related Roll-off Continued by Wolf Richter •  Mar 16, 2023 • 176 Comments
At around 4.75%, plus collateral, these are expensive loans for banks.

#7 chem

chem

• Traders-Talk User
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 01:53 PM

https://wolfstreet.c...-off-continued/

Fed Loaned $160 Billion to Banks and $142 billion to FDIC. But QT-Related Roll-off Continued by Wolf Richter •  Mar 16, 2023 • 176 Comments
At around 4.75%, plus collateral, these are expensive loans for banks.

This is NOT discount window lending. The BTFP lending is at the over-night swap rate so about 5 to 15 basis points on an annual basis for one year term at par (collateral's book value) essentially less than a 1/4% loan covering a large portion of a bank's BS assets. So the real question is do banks want or even need deposits at all?

#8 Iblayz

Iblayz

• TT Patron+
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:51 PM

Fib

And then you have to decide what one should do as far as possibly being the odd man out in such a situation? Do you move your money out of a "red state bank" for they're not likely to get the funds needed to survive over that of, let's say, Goldman Sachs, where they got a dollar for dollar bailout in 2008 because of Treasury Secretary Paulson...or do you move your money from this same more conservative leaning institution to a bank like, again, Goldman Sachs, to provide that additional backstop protection from loss of your capital even though you don't agree with their banking/company philosophy?

As we've seen over the last several years, laws don't matter any more...only political affiliations and their economics do...the very same stench we've smelled this past week.

Fib

Yes, and who gets to decide as to WHO poses "systemic risk" as opposed to who does not, and are those decisions reliable and just? Did SVB really pose systemic risk? If so, how? Or did they just pose systemic risk to a bunch of democratic donors?

Edited by Iblayz, 17 March 2023 - 05:52 PM.

#9 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 07:08 PM

Yes, and who gets to decide as to WHO poses "systemic risk" as opposed to who does not, and are those decisions reliable and just? Did SVB really pose systemic risk? If so, how? Or did they just pose systemic risk to a bunch of democratic donors?

REVEALED: Only ONE member of failed SVB's board had a career in investment banking - and the rest were Obama, Clinton mega-donors who 'grieved' when Trump won including one who went to Shinto shrine 'to pray'

But he is the only one on the board with a career in the financial industry, while others are a former Obama administration employee, a prolific contributor to former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and even a Hillary Clinton mega-donor who prayed at a Shinto shrine when Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election.

https://www.dailymai...nt-banking.html

I saw this article on Drudge and was surprised that it was even posted, but it was quickly deleted, but not before I saved the link.

Edited by linrom1, 17 March 2023 - 07:14 PM.

#10 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:47 PM

Are we now a banana republic?
Nah! Just a banana 🙄
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule