Photo

The battle with Microsoft over spam (and scam) emails continues. And Apple should really be ticked.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Iblayz

Iblayz

• TT Patron+
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 04:34 PM

I posted a topic about this a while back. Maybe I am carrying this a bit too far, but this stuff REALLY gets on my nerves. Whether it goes to my inbox or to a bulk or a spam folder really doesn't matter. I am going to see the email count beside the folder anyway, and at some point, they all need to be emptied. As I said, I have battled Amazon and many others over this. Amazon battled me back a bit, but after 400 plus abuse reports that I personally sent to them, they finally stopped the garbage and it has STAYED STOPPED! Sky Broadband UK stopped it after over 100 reports. AT&T, Comcast, Charter, Verizon and many smaller ISP's have dealt with it successfully. Twilio dealt with it after only four or five reports and even sent me a personal email ASKING me to make sure I send them more if received because they HATE this stuff on THEIR network. Kudos to all of the above.

Microsoft? Another issue altogether. I started noticing a huge amount of spam reports through spamcop.net going to abuse@hotmail.com so I started tracking the IP addresses. When it continued, I started duplicating the abuse reports in hopes of driving the people at Microsoft up a wall like their customers were doing to me. I say their customers because I verified that these IP addresses were "Direct Allocation" Microsoft IP addresses (meaning assigned to Microsoft for their downstream customers). I have one file with almost 400 VERY similar IP addresses that make it appear that one customer was sending tons of these (their were more things in the raw headers that supported this belief). I have now sent well over 900 direct abuse reports to Microsoft (and several execs which have no doubt blocked me). Every one of them were also sent by spamcop.net, so between them and me directly, Microsoft has received over 2000 abuse reports referencing spam, trash and garbage sent to my email address.And sadly, it appears that they have done and continue to do absolutely nothing about it. What a tragedy that the biggest and best name out there having to do with the internet is allowing this stuff on their platform. I have great respect for Microsoft (except in this regard) and also have great respect for the job Satya Nadella has done since taking over the reins of the company. Are these coming from big Azure customers and they have their head stuck so far up Wall Street's butt that they don't want to lose the revenue? I don't know, but I do know that a lot of the emails came from Azure customers. My point is simple. If Amazon, AT&T, Comcast, Charter, Verizon, Sky Broadband, and Twilio can stop this crap, then why can't Microsoft? These senders have now resorted to using big and recognizable names and or associated service marks (like iCloud for example) to scam people into opening this trash. And they are really leaning on Apple's stuff. There is no way under the sun that Microsoft cannot identify these pigs. I have also copied ALL FCC commissioners and the Inspector General of the FTC on the last hundred or so reports.

===================================================================================================================================================================

Below is from my last abuse report sent directly to abuse@microsoft.com; junk@office365.microsoft.com; abuse@messaging.microsoft.com.

"Sylvie from iCloud huh? I just read an article online today warning about these scams targeting Apple customers (and I am not an Apple customer). I have sent well over 912 direct abuse reports to Microsoft about these garbage emails and, in fact, 276 of the last 307 trash emails that I have received have come from “Direct Allocation” Microsoft customers. There is NO WAY that Microsoft does NOT know who this is, and yet they are allowing it. Combined with a third party reporter referencing trash to my address, Microsoft has received over 2015 abuse reports regarding my email address. To the FCC and FTC, put these worthless pieces of trash out of business and FINE MICROSOFT for ignoring this. They are just as guilty in my book. In just the last two weeks, Microsoft has received direct abuse reports from me regarding junk sent from the following very similar IP addresses (some are repeated several times). They have abused Apple’s name along with Kohls, Costco, McAfee and others. Somebody needs to go to jail!

104.47.26.110, 104.47.26.40, 104.47.26.42, 104.47.26.107, 104.47.26.112, 104.47.26.40, 104.47.26.42, 104.47.26.43, 104.47.26.110, 104.47.26.113, 104.47.26.45, 104.47.26.41,  104.47.26.110, 104.47.26.112, 104.47.26.44, 104.47.26.106, 104.47.26.48, 104.47.26.43, 104.47.26.104, 104.47.26.43, 104.47.26.44, 104.47.110.41,104.47.43.153, 104.47.26.104, 107.47.26.104, 104.47.110.44, 104.47.26.45, 104.47.26.106, 104.47.26.42, 104.47.26.47, 104.47.26.104, 104.47.26.49, 104.47.26.113.

I have a file with almost 400 different but similar to each other IP addresses from what I perceive to be another abusive sender (and, there is evidence within some of the headers that they are one and the same)."

Edited by Iblayz, 25 March 2023 - 04:37 PM.

#2 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 05:03 PM

Why does Microsoft needs to update my Windows 10 operating system every few weeks? Why there are so many issues in the OS which need constant updates? 

But even that would be Okay if the updates were quick and easy to install. But they are not.

I have multiple PC's to maintain and it is so much time consuming for every update.

But the last update has made me stop all future updates. The most recent update made one of my most used program stop working!

That program is Microsoft Money 2003. The recent update was not backward compatible with the 2003 edition. Annoyed as hell.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 05:38 PM

Why does Microsoft needs to update my Windows 10 operating system every few weeks? Why there are so many issues in the OS which need constant updates? 

But even that would be Okay if the updates were quick and easy to install. But they are not.

I have multiple PC's to maintain and it is so much time consuming for every update.

But the last update has made me stop all future updates. The most recent update made one of my most used program stop working!

That program is Microsoft Money 2003. The recent update was not backward compatible with the 2003 edition. Annoyed as hell.

Have tried to run the program in compatibility mode?  Also you  can uninstall that update

#4 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 06:15 PM

Have tried to run the program in compatibility mode?  Also you  can uninstall that update

Yes I tried using the compatibility mode procedure.  I tried everything under the sun.

Luckily I did not update all PC's, and the program is working on one another PC.

I am not familiar with how to uninstall the previous update. 

Edited by pdx5, 25 March 2023 - 06:16 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#5 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 04:51 AM

Yes I tried using the compatibility mode procedure.  I tried everything under the sun.

Luckily I did not update all PC's, and the program is working on one another PC.

Don't know if you know this or not, but Windows has a handy dandy program called "System Restore" where you should be able to "restore" your previous version of Windows...but that's only if that restore point is still available to you. Point is that every time you perform an OS update, Windows creates such a restore point just in case things don't mesh. Hopefully you can find that point and that should take care of your problem with Money.

Thanks to Iblayz for the informative post!

Fib

P.S. I also just checked with YouTube and there are many videos showing you how to uninstall a Windows update as well.

Edited by fib_1618, 26 March 2023 - 04:54 AM.

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#6 colion

colion

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 09:47 AM

There are several ways to uninstall an update.  The simplest is Control Panel > Programs and Features > Select Update > Click Uninstall > Click Yes if UAC Prompts > Restart Computer

#7 Carl

Carl

• Traders-Talk User
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 10:31 AM

There are several ways to uninstall an update.  The simplest is Control Panel > Programs and Features > Select Update > Click Uninstall > Click Yes if UAC Prompts > Restart Computer

Correction

There are several ways to uninstall an update.  The simplest is Control Panel > Programs and Features > Select Update with right click > Click Uninstall > Click Yes if UAC Prompts > Restart Computer

#8 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:05 PM

Thank you guys.
I never uninstalled updates before, but will look into it.

#9 Iblayz

Iblayz

• TT Patron+
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:40 PM

Received two more very similar pieces of garbage spam today within minutes of each other. IP addresses of each were among those listed in my above post. And each of them, once again, used the Apple iCloud service mark as bait in the subject line (although this time they didn't capitalize the C, like that would get them off the hook if Apple ever took this seriously and took them to court). There was also evidence revealed through the spamcop.net reports that enforced a suspicion of mine that the sender of the great majority of the spam emails sent to my address is one and the same company or individual. I may be wrong about that, but I really don't think so. However, In case I am wrong, I will not divulge the detail that I have noticed. But the bulk of the thousand plus trash emails (from Microsoft downstream customers) that I have received in the last year have been in three different groupings of IP addresses. Yet the clue that I reference above has shown up multiple times in all three groupings. Either way, in my opinion, this is a great travesty in the sense that such a well-respected company as Microsoft is would be enabling this trash. And they have absolutely no excuse for continuing to do this. Not after I have literally sent them over 900 direct abuse reports and I only started that AFTER noticing a huge amount of spamcop.net reports going to Microsoft or Hotmail or both. This is just crazy. If I am right, that means Microsoft appears to be putting the interest of one large organization that may be paying them big bucks over the interest of hundreds of thousands of little peons like me who pay them much smaller annual fees (I am a 365 subscriber and have been since its inception when it had a different name).

I cannot say for sure that I am right about one individual, group, or organization being behind this. But if true, how awful it is that hundreds of thousands of people have to put up with daily garbage that is enabled by a company that has earned their trust (and they do not know this......yet). I mean, if this were Facebook, I would be pounding the table and yelling, "yea, this serves you right". But Microsoft? I take absolutely no pleasure in suggesting that they are letting this happen. They are SO MUCH better than that!

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:02 PM

I just got out of 72 hours of software hell myself.

New phone system required new phones for my wife & I,

Seemingly seldom used unknown passwords required at every step, including a request for a 2-step i.d. involving the old, broke phone.

After SIM swaps, never ceasing new software downloads, I finally got one phone to work!.

I could go on and on but until late this morning, I had my wife's contacts and she had my number.

Next, I'm might try upgrading my 56K modem and my 6" floppy disk

I'm thinkin' that they didn't pay Ernestine (Lilly Tomlin) enough!

Edited by Rogerdodger, 27 March 2023 - 10:30 PM.