• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 11:30 PM

Tonight's ABC news: "You can gauge inflation by the cost of a haircut."

Many economists say that when haircut prices increase, it’s a sign that inflation has affected the economy.

"Haircuts that once costs $15 are now priced between $80 and $100. The rise in prices started during the pandemic, and inflation has boosted them even higher."

In addition, barbers face increases in Rent, Utilities, & Labor.

“I feel like pre-pandemic, barbers were undervalued. Now, barbers are starting to realize their worth and see that it’s not just about the cut. You’re providing an experience,” Carruth said.

“My client paid me $80 for this haircut,” Carruth said. There are videos of the young barber with a listing of prices that are $100 and up.

Jalen Thompson, a 23-year-old barber in West Philadelphia, charges between $45 and $75 for haircuts and sometimes more than $120 if they are house calls.

But some haircuts are worth $100!

haircut.jpgBobby.jpg

Edited by Rogerdodger, 29 May 2023 - 12:22 AM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:15 AM

Nurse Shortage

LPNs, RNs, APRNs, and PAs will see an average yearly increase of $12,385 per nurse. Compensation increases will range from 10-23%.

Ketchup inflation pushes up the price of BBQ

Cost of swimming is surging from LIFEGUARD SHORTAGE!

A lifeguard hiring spree in Indianapolis, Indiana thanks to a $500 signing bonuses.

Colorado allocates more than $250,000 in grants to local governments to boost staffing at public pools.

The city of Phoenix says it is providing $3,000 in incentive pay with $500 on the first paycheck and the remaining $2,500 as a one-time payment at the end of the 2023 pool season.

In Texas, Austin Parks and Recreation Department officials have beefed up the pay structure for lifeguards, who can earn a minimum of $20 an hour in addition to bonus payouts.

Increasing State and City Taxes will cover the costs.

The list goes on...

Edited by Rogerdodger, 29 May 2023 - 12:23 AM.

#3 Bernie

Bernie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 06:53 AM

Wow! I got a #2 cut for $12.00 @ the old fashion Barbershop...

#4 MDurkin

MDurkin

• Traders-Talk User
  • 638 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, I paid zero for my last cut. I have done my own haircut for 20 years ,now I'm really saving money.

#5 Rich C

Rich C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:29 AM

I go to a nice Vietnamese lady, born in Vietnam.  She charged $10 for a man before the pandemic.  I didn't go for 4 months when Covid hit, paid her $40 for my next cut.  She works 6 days a week, by herself, but the shop has 4 chairs.  Her husband is Vietnamese, must do well, he has a BIG new pickup.  She drives a Range Rover, and they have a Masserati for the kids.  Her daughter finished at U. of Houston and is in med school now.  Son goes to Univ. of Texas/San Antonio, plans to become a Dr.

In 2022 she increased price to $12 for a cut, shortly after that she went to $15.  She said she had not raised prices in 10 years.  I find it incredible, but it seems to me she has lost some customers.  In some of the asian barber shops you can still get a haircut for $8-10.  I imagine with two kids in college, she needs the price increase.

Blogging at http://RichInvesting.wordpress.com

My swing trades typically last a couple of weeks to a couple of months. 

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:56 AM

LOL! Even this WSJ article is a pay site!

"Gambling companies shift betting further in their favor, raising minimums at blackjack tables and tipping the odds in roulette."

"Free" rooms charge a $40 or more "Resort Fee" per night plus taxes.

The days of the $2.99 midnight Prime Rib with 25C craps tables and free beer are a distant memory.

"Nobody goes there anymore because it's so crowded!"

Edited by Rogerdodger, 29 May 2023 - 10:05 AM.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:30 PM

Costco customers are bypassing the beef aisle to shop for chicken and pork as a recession looms

Costco shoppers are reining back on pricier products, and it's a good indicator that they're prepping for a recession.

In a call with investors on Thursday, executives from the warehouse chain shared insights into how their members are shopping, what they're swapping into their baskets, and what's being left behind.

#8 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,019 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:09 PM

Costco customers are bypassing the beef aisle to shop for chicken and pork as a recession looms

Costco shoppers are reining back on pricier products, and it's a good indicator that they're prepping for a recession.

In a call with investors on Thursday, executives from the warehouse chain shared insights into how their members are shopping, what they're swapping into their baskets, and what's being left behind.

Milton Friedman (IIRC) called this the "substitution effect".

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 10:46 PM

Avocados were over $7 for a bag of 5 months ago.

I refused to buy any.

Now less than $1 each at Sams and I am eating avocado toast instead of Jimmy Dean Breakfast sandwiches!.

"substitution effect"

One lady had 6 big Sams rotisserie chickens in her basket at 4.95 each.

She said it was cheaper than dog food and her dogs loved chicken!

"substitution effect"

#10 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:07 PM

Pretty soon US will be like the rest of the world, except Australia, where beef will be out reach for most of the people.