best indicator?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dollarbear

dollarbear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:12 PM

i'm looking around for new indicators curious what folks have found to be the one indicator they use the most for equities? thanks for any answers -Dollarbear

#2 dollarbear

dollarbear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:25 PM

for those willing to put in some input here's a little reward

http://research.stlo...ies/LGTDCBNS/24

personally i've found high yield bond spreads to be one of the best indicators around....

#3 dollarbear

dollarbear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:45 PM

woops! wrong link...

here ya go....

http://www.ml.com/re...lfundsurvey.pdf

#4 saltlake

saltlake

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 09:59 PM

one of my favs
http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=$namo,uu[e,a]dbclyyay[dc][pb2!b7][vc60][iuh14,3!ld20!lv25][j21700347,y]&r=8955.gif

#5 U.F.O.

U.F.O.

U.F.O.

• TT Patron+
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:24 PM

If I had to pick just one, it would be stochastics. You can fine tune the sensitivity and use it in multiple time frames to match your trading style. I'm surprised it doesn't get more mention here. Many traders consider it a touch dated and archaic, but it's still a powerful tool. U.F.O.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
~Benjamin Franklin~

#6 The Right Look

The Right Look

• Traders-Talk User
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:59 PM

Dollarbear, I like to use money flow along with stoch. and rsi. Accumulation and dist. works well too. I use alot of elliott but I use the other tech. to confirm my wave counts.

#7 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:17 AM

Dollarbear 'ROC'...(Rate of Change) is the "one" indicator i'd choose(if i had to) I read a 'Jake Bernstein' book "Momentum Stock Selection" a couple of years ago in which he explains why the 'ROC' indicator seems to be more of a leading indicator than say the 'RSI'..(Relative Strength Index). Mind you,it depends on your time-frame for trades i suppose....I 'position' trade,so i've personally found 'ROC' a useful charting-tool...(Tis not perfect,like any other indicator you still get 'false' breakout/down readings with it). But then if you're short/day trader,the 'RSI' might give you better results than the 'ROC' indicator...(I don't know,i've never looked into it,not being a day-trader) Hope it helps. Regards.V

#8 dollarbear

dollarbear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 462 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:34 AM

thanks for the replies : )

#9 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:14 AM

If I had to pick just one, it would be stochastics.  You can fine tune the sensitivity and use it in multiple time frames to match your trading style.  I'm surprised it doesn't get more mention here.  Many traders consider it a touch dated and archaic, but it's still a powerful tool.

U.F.O.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If one combines the derivation of "stochastic" from its Greek and French roots, one might understand a literal meaning to be "skillful aim at a guess".

Sounds like a flaky application to TA, but it's the only "range" indicator I use.

Edited by HoseB, 30 August 2004 - 08:14 AM.

40,000 headmen couldn't make me change my mind....

#10 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:43 AM

All indicators boil down to simple EMAs or SMAs.
vitaminm