Cash Medicine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James Quillian

James Quillian

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

When I moved to West Texas, I found that a number of physicians in small towns offer cash discounts. Also, there is at least one hospital that has a 50% cash discount on lab work. I know that in urban areas there are a few doctors who operate on a cash only basis. Is this any kind of trend that has the potential to catch on? A large number of self employed people pay cash for health care. James

#2 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:54 PM

I'm certain that insurance carriers frown on the practice. They expect to have the discount entitlement all to themselves. I doubt it will ever be allowed to catch on in populated areas where providers must accept assignments in bulk.

#3 muppet

muppet

• Traders-Talk User
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

For what it's worth ... cash health care is the way of the future. We're already seeing wealthy Canadians going to other countries and paying cash for health care because they are not willing to endure long waits under the somewhat "free" Canadian system. Why should people have to wait if they have the funds to buy what they need? Our society must look after the poor ... but there is a limit to "free" health care ... especially in this high tech, "keep 'em alive at all cost" environment. We'll get to the point when tax payers are no longer willing to accept paying $800 or more per day to keep an elderly, multisystem failure, illegal alien Mexican in ICU for 3 months before they ultimately die anyways. Life isn't fair ... never has been, never will be ... money matters. MPT