• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:31 PM

Studies indicate coffee reduces the risk for diabetes and Parkinson's
How would you like a drug which could lower your risk of Parkinson's disease, diabetes, as well as colon cancer? A substance which could lift your mood and relieve headaches? A drug that could lower your risk of getting cavities? Coffee appears to be that substance.

Some studies have shown that coffee may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. After analyzing data on 120,000 people over an 18-year period (1), researchers at Harvard have concluded that drinking 1 to 3 cups of caffeinated coffee each day can reduce diabetes risk by several percentage points, compared with not drinking coffee at all.

Even more significant, is the fact that in this study, having 6 cups or more per day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's risk by 30% over those who avoided coffee. This study is the latest of hundreds of studies which suggest that coffee may be something of a health food - especially in higher amounts.

Over the past 20 years, over 19,000 studies have been conducted to examine the impact of coffee on one's health. Overall, the results are good news for the 110 million Americans who routinely enjoy this traditional morning ritual.

"By and large, the studies (2)show that coffee is far more beneficial than it is harmful," says Tomas DePaulis, PhD, researcher at Vanderbilt University's Institute for Coffee Studies, which conducts its own research and tracks coffee studies around the globe. For most individuals, studies show that very little bad comes from drinking coffee, but a lot of good.

Source: The Big Coffee Cartel

*Be careful about what you put in your coffee. Whole milk, sugar and cream quickly add unnecessary calories. A 16-ounce blended Frappuccino with whipped cream packs about 500 calories, while just using milk in your coffee adds only 10 extra calories.

* Remember that a "cup" of coffee is truly only six ounces. Most commercial coffees are served in at least 12-ounce portions, which is really two servings. Measure your coffee mug to find out how much you're really drinking, then keep your total to no more than 30 ounces per day (the five-cups-per-day max mentioned in most scientific research).

Edited by Rogerdodger, 05 March 2006 - 02:37 PM.

#2 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:12 AM

Studies indicate coffee reduces the risk for diabetes and Parkinson's
How would you like a drug which could lower your risk of Parkinson's disease, diabetes, as well as colon cancer? A substance which could lift your mood and relieve headaches? A drug that could lower your risk of getting cavities? Coffee appears to be that substance.

Some studies have shown that coffee may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. After analyzing data on 120,000 people over an 18-year period (1), researchers at Harvard have concluded that drinking 1 to 3 cups of caffeinated coffee each day can reduce diabetes risk by several percentage points, compared with not drinking coffee at all.

Even more significant, is the fact that in this study, having 6 cups or more per day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's risk by 30% over those who avoided coffee. This study is the latest of hundreds of studies which suggest that coffee may be something of a health food - especially in higher amounts.

Over the past 20 years, over 19,000 studies have been conducted to examine the impact of coffee on one's health. Overall, the results are good news for the 110 million Americans who routinely enjoy this traditional morning ritual.

"By and large, the studies (2)show that coffee is far more beneficial than it is harmful," says Tomas DePaulis, PhD, researcher at Vanderbilt University's Institute for Coffee Studies, which conducts its own research and tracks coffee studies around the globe. For most individuals, studies show that very little bad comes from drinking coffee, but a lot of good.

Source: The Big Coffee Cartel

*Be careful about what you put in your coffee. Whole milk, sugar and cream quickly add unnecessary calories. A 16-ounce blended Frappuccino with whipped cream packs about 500 calories, while just using milk in your coffee adds only 10 extra calories.

* Remember that a "cup" of coffee is truly only six ounces. Most commercial coffees are served in at least 12-ounce portions, which is really two servings. Measure your coffee mug to find out how much you're really drinking, then keep your total to no more than 30 ounces per day (the five-cups-per-day max mentioned in most scientific research).

Roger,

If you look closely at that study, you'll find that it ONLY applies to patients who HAD PREVIOUSLY LOST WEIGHT. I suggest that the weight loss is, by far, the more significant issue in preventing diabetes.

In addition, I could supply you with dozens of studies showing the harmful effects of caffeine. But, who cares? As I've said many times ... if YOU ... or anyone else, is happy drinking coffee, and you have no disease symptoms (headaches, high blood pressure, high LDL cholesterol, cancer, lupus, infections, MS etc etc etc) and have plenty of energy ... then DRINK DRINK DRINK as much java as you please. If you keep believing what you've been believing, you'll keep achieving what you've been achieving. Happy with your results? ... then just keep doing the SAME thing.

Personally I think caffiene upsets hormonal balance in both men and women ... and is merely a culturally conditioned and totally unnecessary HABIT ... humans weren't meant to be drugged up every day. But, who cares what I think ... as long as you're happy and healthy ... there is no need to change.

Edited by calmcookie, 06 March 2006 - 09:18 AM.

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

Hi CC.
Weight seems is a very important factor in diabetes control and prevention.
At least that's the current thinking.

As for coffee:

"Over the past 20 years, over 19,000 studies have been conducted to examine the impact of coffee on one's health. Overall, the results are good news...
...hundreds of studies which suggest that coffee may be something of a health food - especially in higher amounts."

So, while there may be some determental effects in some people, the
good outweighs the bad for most.
At least that's the current thinking.

Personally, I think moderation in all things is best.

#4 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

Personally, I think moderation in all things is best.
[/quote]

Tghe

Hi Roger,

The problem with "moderation" is that it means different things to different people.
It's like saying "eat a balanced diet." The vast majority of people have NO IDEA what a "balanced diet" is. Most haven't a clue about what they're really eating. Even educated people. I had a newly diagnosed diabetic (a pharmacist) in my office recently and she could not tell me the most basic nutiritional concepts (what foods contain protein, fat or carbohydrates). This sounds absurd ... but, it's not unusual. And the general, uneducated population, are truly on auto pilot :) .

And again, if "moderation" (whatever that means) is working for you, or anyone else ... then again, I say, no need to change. But Roger, lets face it ... Americans are in big trouble ... (pun intended) childhood obesity is getting worse. I regularly see 5-600 pound patients in hospital (this is NEW). I am not exhaggerating. A big segment of the population is headed for disaster. And it's the obese children I feel most sorry for.

But, individual suffering aside, it's also bad for the entire country (for the U.S. economy). Am currently making a 60 minute DVD to document this whole conundrum ... my passion. Very excited about it!

End of soap box :P

Good day to you. C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 06 March 2006 - 04:44 PM.

#5 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

The BIG problem with children is the vidio games and NO physical activity. You can feed them the most balanced and healthy diet in the world, and as long as they sit on their BUTT they will get big. mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#6 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

The BIG problem with children is the vidio games and NO physical activity.
You can feed them the most balanced and healthy diet in the world, and as long as they sit on their BUTT they will get big.
mss

Yes, MSS ... I agree that inactivity is the number ONE problem. But it is compounded by several other factors. As Harvard's Dr. Walter Willett implies with his NEW food pyramid ... ACTIVITY is the essential foundation for good health. And we are the "roll" (ha ha ha) models for our children. This should be a no brainer ... but we've become passive consumers, hypnotized by television, stockcharts and computers! Good grief, they are truly mesmerizing! Picture is part way down this link:

http://www.hsph.harv...e/pyramids.html

Okay ... time to get off my butt ... I'm outta here :P .

Best to all, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 06 March 2006 - 06:44 PM.

#7 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

Roger is right. Coffee is NOT a factor in ill health other than in a few instances. Caffeine can exacerbate acid stomach and result in heartburn/gastritis/dyspepsia if one is sensitive or drinks "too much". Caffeine is a mild stimulant and can exacerbate insomnia, restlessness and anxiety. IF you have cardiac arrythmias that are not well controlled then caffeine can exacerbate those arrythmias. Its effect on blood pressure is neglible. It makes you pee a lot. But it has not been linked to any other major diseases. I am not saying that it is "good for you", only that, as Roger pointed out, it has been accused innumerable times of causing all sorts of problems but with no evidence. As for the increasing problem of obesity around the world we have already hashed this out here. NO ONE knows the cause of this epidemic but a rising global economy with increased access to all foods, healthy and junk alike, along with the persistent drop in physical activity that results from an affluent consumer (versus producer) society are the most likely culprits. Eat a little less and exercise a little more. Finally, there was a great study done in the days before ethics committees (i.e. this study would not be able to get done nowadays). They took newly diagnosed Adult Onset Diabetics, didn't tell them and sent them home with "low fat diets" (at the time the "in" thing was counting "fat grams" and this was the diet they were given). They took another group of patients who were overweight with a diagnosis of "hyperlipidemia" (this was in the days before the currently available lipid lowering drugs), didn't tell them their diagnosis and sent them home with American Diabetes Association diets, calorie matched to their ideal body weight (i.e a 1600, 1800, 2000 cal diet, etc). The results? They ALL got better. The point? Eat a little less and exercise a little more. maineman
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#8 flyers&divers

flyers&divers

• TT Patron+
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:17 AM

Depending on their blood type people are responding to coffee in various ways.

According to Dr. Peter J. Amado, the author of Eat Right 4 Your Type (google it), our body - depending on our blood type - is reacting to certain foods as if they were poison. The immune system attacks these and globulates these to break them down.

I am simplifying this but for each blood type about 10% of the foods are poison, 80% neutral and 10% are like medicine, very beneficial.

For my blood type (A) coffee is actually beneficial. I am not a big coffee drinker but if I had a srtong cup just before I went to sleep I would sleep well and no amount of coffe affects my stomach. On the other hand Orange Juice, just an example, creates havoc in my system.

Reading about this and eventually aligning my eating habits to what is beneficial or neutral for me made a true difference in my life.

How do I know what blood type I am? Funny you have asked. In the Army it was etched into our dog tags but my doctor did not know - imagine that?-because the routine blood test is not asking the lab to discern the type. I know it because I have purchased an under$10 self exam kit from the Amado website.

I initially found out about this from Amado's literary agent, who I dated at one time. :D

Edited by flyers&divers, 07 March 2006 - 04:19 AM.

"Successful trading is more about Sun Tzu then Elliott." F&D

#9 flyers&divers

flyers&divers

• TT Patron+
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:37 AM

Like with anything successful and valid some people try to prove it is not so. Tecnical Analisys does not work, etc..etc.. The same goes with Amato's idea. But it works for me and it is clearly one of the few things I can point to that has made and is making a difference in my life. :bones: :angry: <_< :sweatingbullets: :( :) :D Amado's publications are sold everywhere but can be obtained from Half.com usually for less than half price.
"Successful trading is more about Sun Tzu then Elliott." F&D

#10 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:01 AM

The reason we never get people's "blood type" in the 21st century is that it is no longer useful. If/when someone needs a blood transfusion in this day and age we do high tech instant matches that involve a zillion more antigens than the ABO system was able to detect. During the cold war or World War 2 that was all we knew, so at least the odds of having completely fatal transfusion was somewhat lower. If you told a hospital that you were "type A" or whatever, they would respond by saying "that's nice", ignore you and re-type your blood with our modern antigen detecting systems.
Here's an interesting review re: blood types:

The concept of blood type originated in the early years of this century with German pathologist Karl Landsteiner. He identified two proteins, or antigens, that he found on the surface of the red blood cell. Calling these antigens A and B, Landsteiner proceeded to describe four blood groupings, A, B, AB, and O, according to whether they had one or the other, or both, or neither. Since then we've learned that type A's can have either AA genes or AO genes, B's can be BB or BO, ABs have to be AB, and O's have to be OO. The genes for these proteins are passed to us from our parents. Landsteiner didn't know it at the time, but the ABO identification system was only the start. In the years since his pioneering work, 276 discrete red-cell antigens have been discovered.

Let's examine D'Adamo's logic by looking at hypothetical pairings of four couple's: a type AB couple, a type A couple, a type B couple and a type O couple. According to D'Adamo, each of these couples would be a descendent of a separate ancestral populations. If we then looked at the children from these pairings, those from the AB couple could end up from the A, B or AB ancestral populations, the type A couple could produce children from the A or the O ancestral population, and the type B couple could have children that were from the B or the O ancestral population. Only the type O couple would pass the same blood type on to all of their children.

Since there are 50,000 to 100,000 genes contained in human DNA, the passing of genes from one generation to the next is tantamount to a role of the genetic dice. Granted what's on those dice is determined by one's parents -- and there are some factors that do seem to dominate -- the potential for variability is enormous. There is no question that over the millennia there has been an infinite variety of genetic mixing. Scientists at the Human Genome Project have been analyzing the structure of human DNA, a project expected to span 15 years and cost several billion dollars. It makes it all a bit of a stretch to say, for example, that a type O today has the same genetic imperatives as a type O roaming the Savannah with spear in hand.

Blood type is not totally benign. For many years, scientists wondered why type O's were more likely to than other blood types to develop stomach ulcers or stomach cancer. In 1993, scientists found that ulcers were caused by helicobacter pylori, a bacterium which had a special affinity for one of the unique type O proteins. A geneticist at Oxford University who checked for other significant associations between the ABO blood types and the incidence of disease, reported that there were only seven,; the relationships were often weak; and most, like ulcers, originated somewhere along the digestive tract. If the ABO blood type was that much of a key, as D'Adamo posits, these relationships would strong and plentiful.

It may well turn out that there are important interactions with between certain foods and one's blood type. D'Adamo, unfortunately, offers little in the way of scientific evidence, relying instead on a collection of anecdotal reports and case histories. His speculation that the one gene responsible the ABO blood type could exert such a dominant influence over everything else is unable to stand on its own merits. In the end, D'Adamo adds the caveat that individual variations still occur within blood types, so you shouldn't expect all of his recommendations to apply to you. It's nice to have it both ways, especially where book sales are involved.

I only post these items when I feel that there is important misinformation. ULtimately thanks to living in a wonderful, open and free society one is free to eat and think whatever one wants to.

maineman
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice