30 replies to this topic

#1 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

:D [attachment=5086:attachment]
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#2 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Will you park, next time? :lol: Been reading about how elite athletes tend to die younger than the average couch potato. We hear so much about how important it is to exercise, but I'm more and more convinced that simple walking and moderate activity, done on a consistent basis (daily) is much better than working up a sweat. Besides, sweating also causes the loss of essential minerals ... not easy to replace. Mineral deficiencies are associated with some chronic illnesses, including cancer (Lance Armstrong??? Terry Fox - others??). It's more appealing to take a gentle walk every day than to knock oneself out at the gym (OMHO). Although I still enjoy biking and swimming, "easy does it" now seems healthier than "no pain, no gain." And the longevity research supports this view. Balanced lifestyle. God didn't design us to suffer ... well, maybe he did, but that's a whole other topic. ;) Best, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 16 December 2006 - 09:29 PM.

#3 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:31 PM

Will you park, next time? :lol:

Been reading about how elite athletes tend to die younger than the average couch potato. We hear so much about how important it is to exercise, but I'm more and more convinced that simple walking and moderate activity, done on a consistent basis (daily) is much better than working up a sweat. Besides, sweating also causes the loss of essential minerals ... not easy to replace. Mineral deficiencies are associated with some chronic illnesses, including cancer (Lance Armstrong??? Terry Fox - others??).

It's more appealing to take a gentle walk every day than to knock oneself out at the gym (OMHO). Although I still enjoy biking and swimming, "easy does it" now seems healthier than "no pain, no gain."

And the longevity research supports this view.

Balanced lifestyle. God didn't design us to suffer ... well, maybe he did, but that's a whole other topic. ;)

Best, C.C.

CC: pain is weakness leaving the body :lol: .

many of the elite atheletes also use performance enhancing substances which aren't conducive to good health and longevity.

fortunately if we mere mortals make it that far middle age forces us to learn moderation.

i agree: easy does it.

but do it! B)

ed rader

Posted Image

Edited by ed rader, 16 December 2006 - 11:32 PM.

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit."

-- Mike Tyson

http://erader.zenfolio.com/

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:40 PM

Been reading about how elite athletes tend to die younger than the average couch potato.

I think it was Red Skelton who was asked if he ever exercised.
He said the only exercise he got was going to the funerals of his friends who did exercise.

I believe in moderation in everything.
My couch potato uncle accountant was buried last week at 85.

Genes & moderation baby!

(And don't ever light your pipe!) ;)

#5 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:07 AM

Will you park, next time? :lol:

Been reading about how elite athletes tend to die younger than the average couch potato. We hear so much about how important it is to exercise, but I'm more and more convinced that simple walking and moderate activity, done on a consistent basis (daily) is much better than working up a sweat. Besides, sweating also causes the loss of essential minerals ... not easy to replace. Mineral deficiencies are associated with some chronic illnesses, including cancer (Lance Armstrong??? Terry Fox - others??).

It's more appealing to take a gentle walk every day than to knock oneself out at the gym (OMHO). Although I still enjoy biking and swimming, "easy does it" now seems healthier than "no pain, no gain."

And the longevity research supports this view.

Balanced lifestyle. God didn't design us to suffer ... well, maybe he did, but that's a whole other topic. ;)

Best, C.C.

Lance Armstrong as well as most pro athletes, male or female, do steriods and even more dangerous drugs, many times monitored and prescribed by doctors. Heck, scrawny John McEnroe admittedly used steriods throughout his entire career. Have a old college friend, ex roommate, who played college ball and 2 yrs NFL as a RO Tackle and I've heard all the stories.

Pro athletes wouldn't be pro athletes if they didn't put getting stronger and faster before every other aspect of their being. Unfortunately, balance can come only after retirement for many.

#6 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

Endisnear .... assuming what you say is true (may or may not be - as my mother never took any steroids and believe it or not, telling the truth here ... she won an Olympic Gold medal ... 1946 Pairs skating, St. Moritz Switzerland, partner was Pierre Bougnet (not certain of that spelling). They won for Belgium. Her partner (Pierre) died of a blood clot fairly young (his late 50's, I believe) but my mom is in her 80's and shows no sign of slowing down. I know that neither one took performance enhancing drugs. Though my mom says she liked to regularly nip a bit of alcohol. :P But the drugs aside, I think elite athletes still have a disadvantage because excessive exercise releases cortisol and adrenaline, and too much of this, over time, is unhealthy. Excessive excercise also releases lactic acid which has all kinds of negative metabolic effects. Then there's the loss of minerals, via sweating, which I mentioned earlier. And Roger, 85 is not that old .... I think humans have the genetic capacity to live MUCH MUCH longer ... now whether you want to or not is another story. One of the longest lived women, Jean Calment, of France was still riding her bicycle everyday ... into her 90's ..... active lifestyle .... DAILY moderate activity. Balance and a lot of laughter too, Cheers, C.C. :D :) :D (as well, might be wrong, but I don't think Lance Armstrong took drugs ... (how could an Austinite, besides Willie. do such a thing!!! :lol: ha ha ... Lance DOES, however, have a tremendous and rare genetic advantage, which was shown early in his career via lung capacity tests)

Edited by calmcookie, 17 December 2006 - 10:05 AM.

#7 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

Endisnear .... assuming what you say is true (may or may not be - as my mother never took any steroids and believe it or not, telling the truth here ... she won an Olympic Gold medal ... 1946 Pairs skating, St. Moritz Switzerland, partner was Pierre Bougnet (not certain of that spelling). They won for Belgium. Her partner (Pierre) died of a blood clot fairly young (his late 50's, I believe) but my mom is in her 80's and shows no sign of slowing down. I know that neither one took performance enhancing drugs. Though my mom says she liked to regularly nip a bit of alcohol. :P

But the drugs aside, I think elite athletes still have a disadvantage because excessive exercise releases cortisol and adrenaline, and too much of this, over time, is unhealthy. Excessive excercise also releases lactic acid which has all kinds of negative metabolic effects. Then there's the loss of minerals, via sweating, which I mentioned earlier.

And Roger, 85 is not that old .... I think humans have the genetic capacity to live MUCH MUCH longer ... now whether you want to or not is another story.

One of the longest lived women, Jean Calment, of France was still riding her bicycle everyday ... into her 90's ..... active lifestyle .... DAILY moderate activity.

Balance and a lot of laughter too,

Cheers, C.C. :D :) :D (as well, might be wrong, but I don't think Lance Armstrong took drugs ... (how could an Austinite, besides Willie. do such a thing!!! :lol: ha ha ... Lance DOES, however, have a tremendous and rare genetic advantage, which was shown early in his career via lung capacity tests)

i've followed pro bike racing pretty closely for years CC and i think "they all take drugs". of course americans like armstrong, lemond and floyd landis are exceptions :lol: .

another thing that kills these guys is their obssessive drive. lance did the new york marathon in under 3 hours this year and said it was thge hardest thing he had ever done and he says he will definitely be back next year B) .

ed rader

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit."

-- Mike Tyson

http://erader.zenfolio.com/

#8 johngeorge

johngeorge

• TT Member+
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hi C C

Endisnear .... assuming what you say is true (may or may not be - as my mother never took any steroids and believe it or not, telling the truth here ... she won an Olympic Gold medal ... 1946 Pairs skating, St. Moritz Switzerland, partner was Pierre Bougnet (not certain of that spelling). They won for Belgium. Her partner (Pierre) died of a blood clot fairly young (his late 50's, I believe) but my mom is in her 80's and shows no sign of slowing down. I know that neither one took performance enhancing drugs. Though my mom says she liked to regularly nip a bit of alcohol. :P

What a wonderful lineage you have! Your mother's accomplishment is no mean feat. I can now more fully appreciate your attitude toward encouraging healthy lifestyles.

And Roger, 85 is not that old .... I think humans have the genetic capacity to live MUCH MUCH longer ... now whether you want to or not is another story.

Genetic capacity yes, but.........the old saying is: "If you live long enough you will die of cancer".

Balance and a lot of laughter too

You bet CC. :) Moderation in all things and laugher IS the best medicine.
Peace
johngeorge

#9 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

Lance Armstrong as well as most pro athletes, male or female, do steriods and even more dangerous drugs, many times monitored and prescribed by doctors.

There has been no proof of steriod usage by Lance Armstrong, after numerous drug tests etc. Presumably you have some type of PROOF for you assertion about Armstrong? Let's hear it.

IT

#10 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

[/quote]

What a wonderful lineage you have! Your mother's accomplishment is no mean feat. I can now more fully appreciate your attitude toward encouraging healthy lifestyles.

[quote]

Hi JG,

Thank you, but not so sure about the great "lineage" ... mother was an Olympic champion but my father was an alcoholic who smoked, chased women and liked to party - he was also a talented artist (mom met him in the skating shows that followed her amateur career - he was a chorus boy and she was the star of the show (European version of ice capades) .... LOVE is strange, no?.

In any case, my passion for health education has more to do with hearing my father cough every morning (from smoking) and suffering his considerably bad behaviour as an alcoholic. He also underwent a botched surgery in Scotland that left him seriously ill for many years (hence my desire to educate people about simply "trusting" their doctors :) . My childhood was not happy .... but I'm sincerely grateful for the pain that turned to purpose and meaning. The divine works in mysterious ways. In any case, I digress .... life is good. It's ALL good.

Best to you, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 17 December 2006 - 02:01 PM.