• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:15 PM

:) NO 85 is NOT old. I have a 102 year old mother -in-law who lives by herself and still cooks sausages and biscuits for breakfast. She cooked most of the Thanksgiving dinner also. Still walks around the block where she lives, with a cane, but also peddles a fixed bike on bad weather days. My wife has a lot of life insurence on me, she will need it. :D

Edited by mss, 17 December 2006 - 03:16 PM.

WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#12 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

Lance Armstrong as well as most pro athletes, male or female, do steriods and even more dangerous drugs, many times monitored and prescribed by doctors.

There has been no proof of steriod usage by Lance Armstrong, after numerous drug tests etc. Presumably you have some type of PROOF for you assertion about Armstrong? Let's hear it.

IT

Other than needles in hotel rooms and many people saying that he did.. Besides, I've known too many athletes male and female, mainly college and some pro who have done steriods admittedly. From tennis players, track, to baseball and football. People who weren't even close to being world class but had to do them to compete. I knew Jerimiah Trotter, LB for Eagles, in college and saw him gain 30 lbs the summer before his last season. Drug testing was rigged and Coaches made sure he didn't get tested. They tested only the guys they knew weren't doing roids. Had a 350lb 6ft 6 All American ROT ex roomate , finally had to geton the juice his last season if he wanted to get recognized and go pro, which he did for 2 yrs Said everyone he came across did steroids at least part of the time. He was a 3rd or4th string hitting dummy making league minimum of 200k.

Cookies mother winning a medal back in the 40s is great but steriods didn't become popular w/athletes until the late 60s early 70s. For crying out loud, John McEnroe did deca durabolin during his best years and he was scrawny. He admitted it thats why he was so edgy..

I used to work w/a guy who went to HS w/Lance in Plano, TX. Said Lance was always a real Ahole but just b/c he was so serious about biking and everything else even back then. They went camping in Palo Duro Canyon in Panhandle and Lance got POd at everyone and rode back to Dallas area on his bike...about 3-400 miles...true story...

#13 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

Lance Armstrong as well as most pro athletes, male or female, do steriods and even more dangerous drugs, many times monitored and prescribed by doctors.

There has been no proof of steriod usage by Lance Armstrong, after numerous drug tests etc. Presumably you have some type of PROOF for you assertion about Armstrong? Let's hear it.

IT

Other than needles in hotel rooms and many people saying that he did.. Besides, I've known too many athletes male and female, mainly college and some pro who have done steriods admittedly. From tennis players, track, to baseball and football. People who weren't even close to being world class but had to do them to compete. I knew Jerimiah Trotter, LB for Eagles, in college and saw him gain 30 lbs the summer before his last season. Drug testing was rigged and Coaches made sure he didn't get tested. They tested only the guys they knew weren't doing roids. Had a 350lb 6ft 6 All American ROT ex roomate , finally had to geton the juice his last season if he wanted to get recognized and go pro, which he did for 2 yrs Said everyone he came across did steroids at least part of the time. He was a 3rd or4th string hitting dummy making league minimum of 200k.

Cookies mother winning a medal back in the 40s is great but steriods didn't become popular w/athletes until the late 60s early 70s. For crying out loud, John McEnroe did deca durabolin during his best years and he was scrawny. He admitted it thats why he was so edgy..

I used to work w/a guy who went to HS w/Lance in Plano, TX. Said Lance was always a real Ahole but just b/c he was so serious about biking and everything else even back then. They went camping in Palo Duro Canyon in Panhandle and Lance got POd at everyone and rode back to Dallas area on his bike...about 3-400 miles...true story...

Please! I'm sure you must realize that the vast majority of your post has literally nothing to do with Lance Armstrong. You simply attempt to accuse him by association. Your main two points seems to be: 1) needles found in hotel rooms and 2) many people say he did.

Evidently the idea that Armstrong took something like 22+ tests over 5-6 years, all of which were negative, means nothing to you. You'd rather rely on so-called "needles found in hotel rooms", and "many people say he did".

This willingness to rely on the ill-founded, unproven, and outlandish does not represent you well.

IT

#14 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

IT

Please! I'm sure you must realize that the vast majority of your post has literally nothing to do with Lance Armstrong. You simply attempt to accuse him by association. Your main two points seems to be: 1) needles found in hotel rooms and 2) many people say he did.

Evidently the idea that Armstrong took something like 22+ tests over 5-6 years, all of which were negative, means nothing to you. You'd rather rely on so-called "needles found in hotel rooms", and "many people say he did".

This willingness to rely on the ill-founded, unproven, and outlandish does not represent you well.

IT

You sound like I did when I first found Pro Wrestling wasn't real.

I passed a drug test for my first job out of college 2 days after I partied like Motley Crue because I knew how to beat the test with a $35 fruit punch drink from a smoke shop, 2 gallons of water and some extra vitamin B taken the morning of. Didn't mean I wasn't a bad boy the prior weekend.

If you knew anything about your body, how it reacts to certain stimuli, nutrition, etc. like any pro athlete does, you know exactly how to beat the tests as long as you have a few hrs to prepare for it. And they do.
Go ask all your pro athlete friends if you don't believe me.

I didn't start this thread or the steriod talk and I'm not trying to impress anyone, just speaking the truth, hoping to teach someone something and hopefully they'll teach me a thing or two.

I like Lance too. I guess next you'll say Matthew McConehey doesn't smoke pot while playing the bongos naked. Thats an inside joke only Texans will prob get by the way. Lighten up..

#15 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

IT

IT

I passed a drug test for my first job out of college 2 days after I partied like Motley Crue because I knew how to beat the test with a $35 fruit punch drink from a smoke shop, 2 gallons of water and some extra vitamin B taken the morning of. Didn't mean I wasn't a bad boy the prior weekend.

If you knew anything about your body, how it reacts to certain stimuli, nutrition, etc. like any pro athlete does, you know exactly how to beat the tests as long as you have a few hrs to prepare for it. And they do.

I didn't start this thread or the steriod talk and I'm not trying to impress anyone, just speaking the truth, hoping to teach someone something and hopefully they'll teach me a thing or two.

I like Lance too. I guess next you'll say Matthew McConehey doesn't smoke pot while playing the bongos naked. Thats an inside joke only Texans will prob get by the way. Lighten up..

Again, nothing in your post has anything to do with Lance Armstrong.

But as an aside, isn't it amazing how many in the cycling world have failed these drug tests? Evidently they just haven't heard of your punch. :lol:

IT

#16 endisnear

endisnear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

IT

IT

Again, nothing in your post has anything to do with Lance Armstrong.

But as an aside, isn't it amazing how many in the cycling world have failed these drug tests? Evidently they just haven't heard of your punch. :lol:

IT

Not humanly possible to have a blood test with 8-10x normal testoserone levels w/o some form of steriod as
Landis did. 3x max and thats if he was a 15 yr old freak of nature. CalmCookie can tell you that much. but I'm done.

#17 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

Well, I always get my @ss kicked here for quoting the medical literature and the scientific evidence, instead of chatting about my old aunt sally or whatever some friend said they learned at the health-food store, but here goes :)

Exercise is obviously different for each person on the planet. The amount of exercise one needs in order to minimize the real risks of diabetes, hypertension, obesity, depression, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease is significant. large scientific studies have shown a consistent, solid inverse, linear dose-response relationship between the volume of physical activity reported in epidemiologic studies (with sample sizes ranging from <500 to >2.5 million individuals) and all-cause mortality rates.

What this means is that the more (harder) you exercise, the less likely you are to die.

So far we know that volumes of energy expenditure during exercise of at least 1000 kcal/wk reduce mortality by approximately 30%, whereas reductions of 50% or more are seen with volumes closer to 2000 kcal/wk.

(for example, when I run at 5.5 miles per hour on a treadmill for 30 minutes I burn about 300 calories. If I do that at least 3 times a week I'll have burned close to 1000 kcal .... and I'm pretty beat after 30 minutes!)

Obviously that's a whole lot more than taking a walk around the block. Even a brisk walk. But it is no where near as much as you would need to do if you were going to train as an athlete, or prepare for a marathon or a hike up a large mountain. The data I quoted to you is from extensive medical research into the question of how much exercise is needed for well being and a long healthy life.

A really terrific review of this can be found here:

Clinics in Geriatric Medicine
Volume 20 • Number 2 • May 2004
Copyright © 2004 W. B. Saunders Company

Exercise and aging

Maria Antoinette Fiatarone Singh, MD, FRACP

University of Sydney
East Street
Lidcombe, NSW 2141, Australia

Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for Aged
1200 Center Street
Roslindale, MA 02131, USA

I have no inside information about doping in our athletes except that we know they do it and this has been reported and discussed at length in the medical literature. It's simply too bad and poor sportmanship.

One last thing about exercise. It has been clearly shown that starting an aggressive aerobic exercise program at ANY AGE is hugely beneficial. Just start slow and stay at it. Just because we all know someone who lived to be old and did not exercise means nothing at all. Luck of the draw. We all know someone who smoked and lived a long life, but you are not going to smoke, are you?

maineman
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#18 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

Not humanly possible to have a blood test with 8-10x normal testoserone levels w/o some form of steriod as
Landis did. 3x max and thats if he was a 15 yr old freak of nature. CalmCookie can tell you that much. but I'm done.

Next time you decide to comment on a subject of this type, I would recommend you have some type of fact to support your claim.

On the other hand, you could make a non-specific and generalized comment like maineman does in his post:

I have no inside information about doping in our athletes except that we know they do it and this has been reported and discussed at length in the medical literature. It's simply too bad and poor sportmanship

At least here maineman is not slandering a particular athlete. He just seems to indict all athletes with the word "THEY". Chances are he meant " we know some athletes do it". At least let's hope that's the case.

IT

#19 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:37 PM

exactly what I meant. Some do it. Clearly we don't know how many, but it is a problem. Its a big problem in "health" clubs around the country, and remains a big problem among young men (teens to twenties) who are trying to "bulk up". There are many unsavory products available in health food and so-called "nutrition" stores (like creatinine and similar protein-muscle building powders). We nearly lost a local Navy man recently who came in vomiting, with abdominal pain, etc and ended up with renal failure on emergency dialysis. He was taking a product from a vitamin on-line seller that had ephedra, ginko, creatinine and more, trying to build up strength for training exercises. He's in bad shape.
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#20 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,020 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:12 AM

wading in... If you're going to damage someone's reputation, you'd better have hard evidence, not just innuendo. It's crummy, even if the party is mean or a public figure or parts their hair the wrong way. It's the worst form of gossip. On the longevity thing, every time I look at a story of a really old person closely, there's almost always either a strong genetic component, and/or a very good diet, and/or persistent ongoing cardio of some sort, be it long walks, or sport, or something. So, what I'm saying is that if you really LOOK at those anecdotes, it shouldn't be about how little smoking negatively affects you, but how much walking miles a day positively does (for example). Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter